Dungeness river.

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
BlakeP
Commander

Dungeness river.

Post by BlakeP » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:31 pm

So with the dungeness opening in a few days, i was wondering if anyone else fishes it at all or am i the only one? Haha

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Re: Dungeness river.

Post by Brat Bonker » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:41 pm

I fish it occasionally but I am busy with other closer rivers until november.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:I fish it occasionally but I am busy with other closer rivers until november.
I wouldn't fish it very often either, if i didn't live 5 minutes away from the river. Though the fish in the dungeness are pretty big! I fish the river, to get big skeins of eggs for steelhead season mostly.

Dan Boone
Lieutenant

Post by Dan Boone » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:50 am

I would fish it if it weren`t for the fact that I live 3 hours away.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:15 pm

Dan Boone wrote:I would fish it if it weren`t for the fact that I live 3 hours away.
Makes sense. Haha

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:08 am

Gonna be on the dungy in a few hours. Might post pictures when i get back.

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:26 am

Good luck [thumbup]

schu7498
Commander

Post by schu7498 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:00 am

Let us know how you do! I will be taking a trip out there later this week.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Well the river was a little high, and wasn't clear. Ended up landing one about 5lb coho at the hatchery, but it was foul hooked(Released) Only saw 1 other fish hooked, and a person walking out with a decent coho. Also went down to the old schoolhouse hole. Landed two 15 inch sea-run cutts, and a few dollies(Released). I'm sure the salmon were in the river, water just needs to clear up. River should be pretty good for salmon in a few days if we don't get any more rain. I'm also gonna go back again tomorrow, and see if the fishing picks up.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:40 pm

bet they are just blowing up river right now, c'mpn man I thought you knew every rock and grain of sand where the fish lay during every millimeter of water change #-o Did you try above the hatchery ck too?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 16, 2012 6:55 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:bet they are just blowing up river right now, c'mpn man I thought you knew every rock and grain of sand where the fish lay during every millimeter of water change #-o Did you try above the hatchery ck too?
Haha, i know of most places on the river. It's hard finding fish, when you cant see more than a a couple feet under the water, and they aren't sitting in the holes they usally do for some reason. I walked a little ways above the hatchery creek but far as i could tell there were no fish up that way either. The fish are all probably just sitting way up at the hatchery intake, but it's all private property up there now. Would've fished a few spots after i fished the lower, but got rained out. I'm sure tomorrow will be better, if not than thursday probably will.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:24 pm

since you live up there just ask the guy for permission to fish there, as long as you pack out more than what you came in with I do not see a reason why he would say no, I would agree with you that they are at the hatchery though.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:since you live up there just ask the guy for permission to fish there, as long as you pack out more than what you came in with I do not see a reason why he would say no, I would agree with you that they are at the hatchery though.
Heard he's a cop, and i beilieve he kicks everyone out if he sees them on the property. That's what i've heard, not sure if it's true but i don't wanna find out the hard way. I'll stick to the other holes by the hatchery.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:05 am

haha that funny but he does not own the river, high water mark right? Is that the house that is inbetween the hatchery ck outlet and the hatchery or am I way off on what house you are talking about?

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:36 am

Brat Bonker wrote:haha that funny but he does not own the river, high water mark right? Is that the house that is inbetween the hatchery ck outlet and the hatchery or am I way off on what house you are talking about?
He seems to think he does. Heard he's trying to fence off the property haha. Its pretty far up, if you take that little road by the hatchery ponds, and walk up about 5-10 minutes theres a pipe along a deep slot where the intake is. He owns most of that area i believe. Theres a few no tresspassing signs, but there was no houses last time i walked up that way that i remember, think there may have been a small building or something like that. Haven't been up that way since last december.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:44 pm

Well today was a much better day, my grandpa and i both hooked a good amount of fish. I ended up landing two, they are a little dark but had nice meat. River was perfect, not too low, but not too high. Water was clear as well.
Attachments
Dungeness coho.jpg
Dungeness coho.jpg (25.16 KiB) Viewed 3119 times

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm

BlakeP wrote:
Brat Bonker wrote:haha that funny but he does not own the river, high water mark right? Is that the house that is inbetween the hatchery ck outlet and the hatchery or am I way off on what house you are talking about?
He seems to think he does. Heard he's trying to fence off the property haha. Its pretty far up, if you take that little road by the hatchery ponds, and walk up about 5-10 minutes theres a pipe along a deep slot where the intake is. He owns most of that area i believe. Theres a few no tresspassing signs, but there was no houses last time i walked up that way that i remember, think there may have been a small building or something like that. Haven't been up that way since last december.
yeah I know what you are talking about now, coho go up that little creek with the bridge across it I believe.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:36 pm

That's where they dump the dead fish from the hatchery pond.

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:21 pm

yeah that too but I have seen live ones swimming in there too.

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:29 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah that too but I have seen live ones swimming in there too.
That's weird, never seen that.