Pic Heavy Big King Salmon

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: Pic Heavy Big King Salmon

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:50 pm

MotoBoat wrote:That is one productive trip!. How many years have you made that trip with dear old dad? Was it pretty much a hoochie show as far as lure go? Do you also participate in the buoy 10 fishery? Well documented video. Placing the good size Chnook inside the mouth of a very large Ling. Puts the size of ling in perspective.....really big. Did the ling go over 35lbs?
Yep, the glow green hootchie, with a UV skirt 40 inches behind a glow green flasher has been outfishing bait on most trips. Easier to fish, much less cost, avoiding bait costs and waste at end of day, and its been simply working better, for chinook. We do not fish Bouy 10, because we moor the boat on the island through mid september, so we just go up when we want and fish, no hauling boat up and back. Make 6-8 trips a summer. Been doing it for 10 or so years now, Dad took me up when i was really young to get me into it! Its awesome fishing. The ling was 33 pounds, close! We got a 43 pounder last year, what a freaking giant. LOL

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:03 pm

Do you typically use scent on your glow hoochie set up? You and your dad have a good thing going there. I have opening day trout fished and opening day mid-west pheasant hunted with my dad for more years than I care to count........but that is a good thing.....LOL! Does your pops have any interest in the Baker lake fishery? Still knowing them dead.....Baker Sockeye that is?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:48 pm

Ive found that the hootchies get a little messed up with scent, making them stiff. I catch fish very well, even in depths of 150 plus feet, without scent, i think the visual, glow UV is enough for them, its deadly and cheap. DEADLY.

My dad has fished baker with me a few times, but its been slow for me, so i havent made too many trips, not sure if im gonna go again or not, maybe once more, but i just havent been doing very well up there this year, 11/21 in 5 trips on sockeye, compared to 27/41 in 6 trips last year

Hank
Petty Officer

Post by Hank » Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:45 am

I'm suprised you don't need physical therapy after hauling in all those big fish. Great pics and vid.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:31 pm

Hank wrote:I'm suprised you don't need physical therapy after hauling in all those big fish. Great pics and vid.
Haha were all getting pretty sore after the 3rd or 4th day up here, haha

63Starcraft
Angler

Post by 63Starcraft » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:02 am

I just came back from there and the fishing was slow and even the guides were struggling, everyone up at tahsis has been saying the fish are late this year. Most everyone would put in a ton of hours and be lucky to come back with one or two chinook. Bottom line is that fishing was the slowest up there we have ever seen in our 8 years of going there.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:26 pm

63Starcraft wrote:I just came back from there and the fishing was slow and even the guides were struggling, everyone up at tahsis has been saying the fish are late this year. Most everyone would put in a ton of hours and be lucky to come back with one or two chinook. Bottom line is that fishing was the slowest up there we have ever seen in our 8 years of going there.
what???? I was in tahsis 8 days ago, and we had our limits of 25+ pound kings every morning by 9am, then caught and released at ferrer Pt for 2 days and landed 56 kings in 2 days. We have been going up for A long time tho, and find our highway fish up north outside kyuoqot... surprised tho, last week people had limits all over the place... from the pinnacles to 4 and 6 mile, interesting tho, im headed back up in a few days to fish again, id imagine our northern highway grounds will produce again.

63Starcraft
Angler

Post by 63Starcraft » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:05 pm

fishenfreak wrote:
63Starcraft wrote:I just came back from there and the fishing was slow and even the guides were struggling, everyone up at tahsis has been saying the fish are late this year. Most everyone would put in a ton of hours and be lucky to come back with one or two chinook. Bottom line is that fishing was the slowest up there we have ever seen in our 8 years of going there.
what???? I was in tahsis 8 days ago, and we had our limits of 25+ pound kings every morning by 9am, then caught and released at ferrer Pt for 2 days and landed 56 kings in 2 days. We have been going up for A long time tho, and find our highway fish up north outside kyuoqot... surprised tho, last week people had limits all over the place... from the pinnacles to 4 and 6 mile, interesting tho, im headed back up in a few days to fish again, id imagine our northern highway grounds will produce again.
Im just saying that your full of it because the fishing up there has been pretty much terrible this year and anyone reading this shouldn't just decide to make a trip up here, because the fishing is slow, the ferry costs a small fortune, and the road into town is barely even a road.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:49 am

OH im full of it huh? Hmm, well if the pictures and videos of tons of big kings isnt enough then i could surely post more... bottom line is ive been up over 25 days this year on multiple trips from june to now, and havent had a slow trip yet, we have had our 2 day possesion limit on the first few hours of the first 2 days, every single trip, hell on our early july trip we had 6 fish one morning at 6:50am, nothing under 20 pounds... And our many guide buddies have been doing just fine fishing out at the 300 foot line, I dont know how many trips you've made, but ive been up enough to say fishing is GOOD and anyone thinking about going SHOULD because its peak time and the people who have a clue what their doing are killing lots of kings, im headed back up Wednesday, and will be back with easy limits, again

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 am

Need any more??

Im pretty sure that ice chest COULDNT be fuller!!!
Attachments
20120726_160122.jpg
20120726_160122.jpg (90 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
IMG_0599.JPG
IMG_0599.JPG (132.89 KiB) Viewed 1557 times
IMG_0600.JPG
IMG_0600.JPG (123.36 KiB) Viewed 1557 times

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:29 am

Get outta here :pirat:

Nice fish !
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:35 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Get outta here :pirat:

Nice fish !
haha sorry i got a little angry, but im better now. I BET YOUR DYING waiting for aug 10 huh, i hear theres hundereds of chromers you can see from the bridge on the skok.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:11 pm

Maybe its a slow year for him up there ^^^ :sunny: haha i took my boat out 2 days in the canal, trolling and releasing, didnt bring any outta the water, i went 12/25! Smallest 8 pounds, biggest 23. Also i went to look at the skok, theres NO fish there, tell your friends to stay away. :^o
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:04 pm

damn you caught that many kings in the canal at the river mouth? DAmn! im gonna have to PM you about that!

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:45 pm

Kings? Im catching bullhead :^o
hahah alright i dont see a pm yet !

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:56 pm

well my grandpa has decided he wants to sell the boat. hahah, were not gonna be using it much from here on out anyways.