Baker lake fished out????

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Baker lake fished out????

Post by bassplayer17 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:38 pm

With the number of fish put in and the number of boats fishing this past week( was there fri and sat) and how slow the fishin is the past few days you think its fish out. Over 200 boats sat alone....Crazy....What you all think???
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught....

Fish-or-man?
Commander

Re: Baker lake fished out????

Post by Fish-or-man? » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:36 pm

Hey, I was up there Friday and Saturday too! Yeah, that was rough. I fished at the first sign of light to about 10:30 am both days. No action Friday; hooked one and lost it during a jump Saturday. I have to assume the huge volume of boats had an affect on the bite. If there are 200 boats, and each boat averages three rods (that's a total guess) that's 600 rigs being drug through a 10-foot patch of water column in two very compact areas.

My two cents is the over crowding has a negative impact; but moreso fish just don't want to bite some days. They probably just took the weekend off. :pirat: The bite seemed to be recovering a bit Saturday; saw a lot more fish hooked (although still really dismal numbers). I'll be curious to read the Sunday reports!

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 pm

The fish don't want the WDFW agents to give out any overfishing tickets. [laugh]
Tom.

Interests: living

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:18 pm

bassplayer17 wrote:With the number of fish put in and the number of boats fishing this past week( was there fri and sat) and how slow the fishin is the past few days you think its fish out. Over 200 boats sat alone....Crazy....What you all think???
Check out the reports from last year, good fishing into August. More anglers, yes, but I think we'll have several more weeks of catching opportunities. Plus, more fish will get put in, maybe another 10K?

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Mike Carey wrote:
bassplayer17 wrote:With the number of fish put in and the number of boats fishing this past week( was there fri and sat) and how slow the fishin is the past few days you think its fish out. Over 200 boats sat alone....Crazy....What you all think???
Check out the reports from last year, good fishing into August. More anglers, yes, but I think we'll have several more weeks of catching opportunities. Plus, more fish will get put in, maybe another 10K?
I agree Mike but last year we didnt start fishing till now and early august and there was half the pressure there is now... I just hope your right....

Racer
Warrant Officer

Post by Racer » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:22 pm

I talked to the guy trucking fish to the lake on saturday. He said the hatchery had most of what they needed so most would be coming to the lake. I took two on saturday but I agree, for the amount of boats the catch rate wasn't very high.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:37 am

Been gone a week but during my absence I did hit the lake on Tues with dismal results. Had two to the boat but for some reason my long time fishing friend was just head shot and didn't net the fish. You guys know what happens when they see the boat..... Any ways talked to F&W at the ramp, they said a week a go Sunday they had started to truck fish to the lake after a break so he wasn't suprised by the numbers of fish not caught. He said after the fish are released it takes 4 to 5 days for the fish to aclimate and start to move to Noisy Creek. This past weekend should have been pretty good baring anything like big level changes in the lake....... which has been going on too.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

I think Bodo's second point is a big part of the patterns we have been seeing in the fish activity. At the start of the season the lake was much higher than last season, and a bit off color. Now they are dropping the lake back into shape, and the flow of water through the dam is likely causing irregular fluctuations in the thermal layer in the lake as well as oxygen distribution. It seems to me that the fish are more spread out, almost in 1 big thin layer, all over the lake. Generally, when you hit them hard, you find the big schools that can be a 30 or 40 foot wall of fish. Once the surface temperature stabilizes (more sunny weather) and the dam is not flushing the lake, I expect we will see those early morning bites we are all used to.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:07 pm

there is plenty of fish in the lake. I marked countless fish Friday and Saturday. I fished the 27th,28 and 29th without a single bite :-({|=

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:34 pm

I will be out the 5th 6th and 7th of August. Give me a shout if you're on the water.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:07 pm

strider43 wrote:there is plenty of fish in the lake. I marked countless fish Friday and Saturday. I fished the 27th,28 and 29th without a single bite :-({|=
The fish you're marking are not necessarily the Socks you're targeting. Baker has a resident population of BIIIIIIG Kokes. They're pretty darn close to salmon size. I was marking them all over. They don't seem to be big schoolers. From what I've been told they won't bite on regular Koke gear or what you're offering the Socks.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:00 am

We did catch a couple koks on our recent trips, although nothing over 11" or so. They seem to be in the top 15 ft of water.

I posted my most recent reports. Not fished out, but definately not the slam dunk of last year, except for those few that have things really dialed in.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:10 am

I marked tons of fish, in weird locations. We hooked 7 on Saturday, 3 sunday and 1 monday. We just couldn't find willing biters. Nearly all the fish we hooked came of the meter, which was neat. It just gets tough sometimes. That's why they call it fishing, not catching! :)

bassplayer17
Lieutenant

Post by bassplayer17 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 3:44 pm

Well there still comming in.... I had a nice chat with my bud that works at the fish trap he told me there still traping 300 to 400 a day..The tribes are all done fishing and the hatchery has there 5000... The count so far is 36,000 total and he thinks it could go as high as 44,000 thats a new record run....The dam is still dumping water...Good luck you all....

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:17 pm

I'll telll you what, the lake is high judging by the small amount of spit at the horseshoe boat launch. I was tempted to cast a few personal jet craft adrift when we came in. Practically the whole launch area was covered with the noise makers, and no one to be seen.

Hey, I have a question for those in the know. Do all these fish end up spawning in the tributaries of the lake? What happens to all the smolt, do they die going through the dam?

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:31 pm

How would I tell the difference in the Kokes and the Socks on my fish finder?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:06 pm

The Socks are way bigger. At least on mine. When there is a sockeye under the boat, it is a big giant arch, not a baby one. When there are a bunch, it's like a giant cloud. Next time I'm out I'll take a photo of the screen.

strider43
Captain

Post by strider43 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:08 pm

Hey, I have a question for those in the know. Do all these fish end up spawning in the tributaries of the lake? What happens to all the smolt, do they die going through the dam?

The smolt after a year will try to reach the river. The hatchery folkd have a trap that simulates the noise of a creek. The fish swim into it and get a ride below the dams

Sixgill
Petty Officer

Post by Sixgill » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:44 pm

The new smolt collector for Baker lake is almost solely responsible for the recent success of the Baker Sockeye. They are in the process of installing one at the lower baker dam too. So Shannon Lake should be producing Sockeye as well, nearly doubling the potential run again. Oh yeah, not fished out by any means , just a ridiculous amount of pressure.

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Sixgill wrote:The new smolt collector for Baker lake is almost solely responsible for the recent success of the Baker Sockeye. They are in the process of installing one at the lower baker dam too. So Shannon Lake should be producing Sockeye as well, nearly doubling the potential run again. Oh yeah, not fished out by any means , just a ridiculous amount of pressure.
Very cool. It's nice to see when something works well. Let's hope for many years of good fishing to come. Now if they can replicate this on lake Washington and lake Wenatchee. [-o<