Tying the Famous Yarn-Ball

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Tying the Famous Yarn-Ball

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Made a video of the way I tie my yarnballs, we killed fish on um last year and i had many requests on how to tie them, my was is quick easy and effective

if you dont know how to tie um and want to try (i urge you to try them) then check it out and tie some up for the fall and winter season!

bugmasta
Lieutenant

Re: Tying the Famous Yarn-Ball

Post by bugmasta » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:56 pm

Great video, I really appreciate it when others take to the time to share what they know. Thanks!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:19 pm

ur welcome! I hope it was clear enough, my laptop camera isnt the greatest, let me know if i can edit anything

king killer
Warrant Officer

Post by king killer » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:24 pm

Thanks for the great video, helped alot .

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks for the vid! Will yarn balls work for skok kings/silverz?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 pm

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Thanks for the vid! Will yarn balls work for skok kings/silverz?
hell yea! They would probably work with just scent, they hold scent well and if you use egg colors with some egg scent your gonna get hammered, especially coho love um!

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:15 pm

Sweet thanks man ! If im using just scent do i just cut the bait loop off? And what colors should i use to mimic eggs? Red-pink?
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:38 am

No need to cut loop off. You can do less wraps up top but either way it doesnt matter. And yea id experiment with reds oranges and pinks until you get an effective yarnie. I would suggest 2 flame 1 bloodred and 2 steelhead orange strands!

riverbound
Petty Officer

Post by riverbound » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 am

Thanks for the tips, FF! Awesome adaptation of the egg loop ,too. You slayed'em last year... hope to have such luck this year :)

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:49 am

hey fishbait, coho love the color pink especially the ones in hood canal and try sand shrimp oil or even "salmon feast" on the yarnies.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:10 am

Ur welcome RB, it made me happy hearing you slayed those steelhead lastyear on my bobber drifting rig, try these yarnies this year too theyre deadly!

And yes brat salmon feast is one of my favs

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:17 am

Sweet thanks guys! Im hoping to be successful this year with silvers, i only caught 4 last year.

bkawafishin
Petty Officer

Post by bkawafishin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:15 am

that was pretty darn cool. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely give it a try sometime!

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:20 am

FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Sweet thanks guys! Im hoping to be successful this year with silvers, i only caught 4 last year.
i got nearly 200 koho last yr. ya so i think they work :-" .nice work freak yo let da secret out hahaha.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:23 am

yeah, FF try salmon feast scent with orange corky and yarn down on the skook and see what happens, those fish are suckers for something has scent to it.
hey fishbait make the long run from belfair up to the quilcene and guranteed you will limit out on labor day weekend, just don't forget your pink hoochie spinners, pink twitching or red beads. Labor day weekend I kept 7, hooked somewhere around 30-40 fish and released a huge 20lb native silver. Nice little meat and egg fishery up there, we still have fish and eggs in our freezer from last september.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:26 am

OFFDAAHOOK wrote:
FishBaitThe2nd wrote:Sweet thanks guys! Im hoping to be successful this year with silvers, i only caught 4 last year.
i got nearly 200 koho last yr. ya so i think they work :-" .nice work freak yo let da secret out hahaha.
Hahah, last year was my first year that i was consistently catching salmon, kings anyway. I landed about 60 in one month, only brought home 29. But im only 14 so i guess thats good [thumbup] I would absolutely LOVE to fish the cowlitz on a regular basis like you do, and catch fishh alll the time like you do . Only fished there once

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:56 am

Brat Bonker wrote:yeah, FF try salmon feast scent with orange corky and yarn down on the skook and see what happens, those fish are suckers for something has scent to it.
hey fishbait make the long run from belfair up to the quilcene and guranteed you will limit out on labor day weekend, just don't forget your pink hoochie spinners, pink twitching or red beads. Labor day weekend I kept 7, hooked somewhere around 30-40 fish and released a huge 20lb native silver. Nice little meat and egg fishery up there, we still have fish and eggs in our freezer from last september.
brat i dont even know what is quilicene :scratch:
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:25 pm

It is north of the skok on hwy 101, it is about half or 2/3 the size of the cascade but has a huge run of coho.

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:11 pm

yo fishbait yarnballs are deadly for steelhead but personally I prefer straight bait for silvers and kings. silvers are suckers for fire cured eggs, one would do well to add eggs to a yarnball. another thing that is deadly deadly for silvers is a shrimp tipped jig. use a big piece of shrimp too.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 pm

Kockmandoo wrote:yo fishbait yarnballs are deadly for steelhead but personally I prefer straight bait for silvers and kings. silvers are suckers for fire cured eggs, one would do well to add eggs to a yarnball. another thing that is deadly deadly for silvers is a shrimp tipped jig. use a big piece of shrimp too.
i hear ya eggz are killer and shrimp. but where i fish in fall at puyallup -0 viz. mint flavored mono for leader workes great for silvers hahahaha :-"
I FISH THEREFORE I AM