First BaitCaster Set-Up...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Re: First BaitCaster Set-Up...

Post by RiverChromeGS » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:41 pm

its crazy how those stupid fat chinook will bite eggs in the middle of being snagged in the ass by a bunch of snagger boys. Last year i walked up on a hole with 3 guys snagging the hell outta the poor fish, i dont get that angry when i see that because rivers like the samish and skok, thats just the way they are, hatchery fish meant to be caught and killed, so whatever, i dont do it but i dont really mind it in those kind of ditch hole snagger creeks. Anyways, walked between them with eggs and float, first cast BOOM 28 lb buck SMASHED the fire cure and fights for 10 minutes as all the snaggers sit and watch. One guy, after i land the fish says, "did that fish really bite your eggs' LOLOL i was like hell yea bro, they watched (and snagged) as i landed 3 more fish, one of with followed my eggs to the shore and nailed them in 2 feet of water, until i had enough of it and went to my secret holes. It was awesome, they like eggs in them rivers more than some people think, you dont have to snag!!!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:50 pm

lol, how do you guys rig your float and eggs, I am use to drift fishing eggs and corkies/beads for salmon.
Hey Offdaline, I did not know that you fished the skok, where at?

bass4days
Petty Officer

Post by bass4days » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:15 pm

i never had very much luck there last year but im gonna try bobber and eggs again and see if i will have better luck. do any of u guys have any suggestions of what holes to bobber fish? it it any good down by the mouth? thanks

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:21 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:lol, how do you guys rig your float and eggs, I am use to drift fishing eggs and corkies/beads for salmon.
Hey Offdaline, I did not know that you fished the skok, where at?
same azz yo rig yo jig for steelhat. add splitshot above egg and yo good to go. or i just freedrift. i really dont like da crowd there kinda look like da kkk convention =D> . like freak say i could care less tho its a meat fishery .i walked down about half mile where i foind frog water and deep pool got my limit in 10 minutes with tunaball/egg combo no weight.
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:32 pm

yeah! using a left handed baitcaster like a champ! I have the same exact reel left handed retrieve and everything. she nailed a 28 and 30lb chinook last year. its a solid reel. treat her right Fishbait! slayerslayer-the samish is the only river ive freedrifted eggs in, me and FF started doing it last year it is sooooo mush fun!, feeling a big nook pick up the eggs in slack water is the best feeling ever!

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Kockmandoo wrote:yeah! using a left handed baitcaster like a champ! I have the same exact reel left handed retrieve and everything. she nailed a 28 and 30lb chinook last year. its a solid reel. treat her right Fishbait! slayerslayer-the samish is the only river ive freedrifted eggs in, me and FF started doing it last year it is sooooo mush fun!, feeling a big nook pick up the eggs in slack water is the best feeling ever!
cockman chomp chomp chomp yo rite its a strange feeling. wait till yo make tuna ball/egg combo.they smash it 10 times harder than plain egg hahahahaha 8-[ #-o [drool]
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:21 pm

what kind of tuna do you use? im assuming you put the tuna in a spawn sack? then combo it?

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:24 pm

oh so slayer you fish down by the mouth like the cedar hole? I fish up top in side the gate first hole on the left. I have never tried free drifting eggs any where other than the cowlitz but My dad and I have had our best success drifting huge gobs of eggs right in front of the fishs nose, those skok kings really like slow presentations along with the color green.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:44 pm

Kockmandoo wrote:yeah! using a left handed baitcaster like a champ! I have the same exact reel left handed retrieve and everything. she nailed a 28 and 30lb chinook last year. its a solid reel. treat her right Fishbait! slayerslayer-the samish is the only river ive freedrifted eggs in, me and FF started doing it last year it is sooooo mush fun!, feeling a big nook pick up the eggs in slack water is the best feeling ever!
haha ! I hope i can get a 30 this year, thats my main goal. There few an far between at the skok though , i got 4 over 20 last year. I cant use a right handed baitcaster, i tried and i felt like a noob trying to reel it ! Lol, lefty is the way to go ! She aint goin in the salt water at all, and after im done fishing, off the rod and back in the box shes gonna go !
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:46 am

sucks that the skok does not really see that many 30 plus pound kings, I just want to get some more fat hens. 20+ is my goal on float and eggs but I will be satisfied with a 15+.

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:10 am

Yeah, i only saw 4 over 30 last year. and 2 were natives.

My biggest was 28, good luck !
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. ~Doug Larson

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

I have seen some huge kings in there before but they were being taken out of a gillnet, I remember seeing a lady pull this huge 40+lb king out of a net one day a couple years ago, the thing was a beast.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:39 am

really? Huh thats weird, we get 25-30 pounders every day on the samish, my buddy got a 40.88 last year in the upper and my biggest was a 39

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:45 am

des the samish get netted almost every day of the week? Don't get me wrong, there are lots of big kings in there just they are really smart and they run for the logs and stumps as soon as they get hooked. I use 20lb main and 15lb leaders and land which ever ones that decide not to dash. Is the samish pretty snaggy, watching your vids it looks like a good king section where you fish.

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:56 pm

Brat Bonker wrote:des the samish get netted almost every day of the week? Don't get me wrong, there are lots of big kings in there just they are really smart and they run for the logs and stumps as soon as they get hooked. I use 20lb main and 15lb leaders and land which ever ones that decide not to dash. Is the samish pretty snaggy, watching your vids it looks like a good king section where you fish.
bratboner ill see yo on da river tomorrow at da secret spot [flapper] dont forgot to bring yo eggz hahahahaahah
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

FishBaitThe2nd
Captain

Post by FishBaitThe2nd » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:30 pm

fishenfreak wrote:really? Huh thats weird, we get 25-30 pounders every day on the samish, my buddy got a 40.88 last year in the upper and my biggest was a 39
We get quite a few 20-25 pounders, but mostly 15-18.
Ill trade you rivers for a couple days :pirat:

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:40 am

haha yea the samish is pretty snaggy, the BEST part tho, is that the samish is always really murky, no matter what, it just runs brown, so i can use 40 pound mainline and 35 pound leader and the fish dont care, then i can stop the big boys from heading to the logs, every hole has a bad snag or 2 in it, lol

and yes, it gets netted BAD for the first 3-4 weeks of the season, lots of jacks and netmarked fish, then around the 3rd week of september they get their quota and the hawgs roll in

zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Post by zefsidefishing » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:20 pm

i just picked up a abu garcia ambassadeur 5601 c4 9blue and gold) great reel omg, feels so smooth and comfortable grip, im ready to go, i almost got the 6600 bigger one, but for what i do that one was just too big, especially for my pole. so happy, now to practice with a level wind, and learn it in time for silvers haha.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

learn quick! Salmon are coming! Its a great all purpose reel and rarely has any problems at all, it will treat you well!

zefsidefishing
Warrant Officer

Post by zefsidefishing » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:25 am

so does it matter really between the 6600 and the 5600? i know ones just bigger and has clicker, but for river the 5600 should be good right?