float fishing yarn balls

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Brat Bonker
Admiral

float fishing yarn balls

Post by Brat Bonker » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:53 pm

I know yarnies are dynamite for steelhead but they are mostly drift fished and I was wondering if anyone has ever tried float fishing them and which is the best weighting system to keep them down. Also started to tie up leaders with yarn balls on them and wondering what are some good colors for hatchery steelhead.

TroutSnipr
Commander

Re: float fishing yarn balls

Post by TroutSnipr » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:54 pm

"Clown" pattern

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH21UaMr_zk[/youtube]
White/Pink/Pink
Lamiglas G1307/Pflueger Arbor 7435
Berkley A949MH/Pflueger Arbor 7440
Damiki Angel EX S662ML/Pflueger President 6930
Denali Jadewood JS782FR/Pflueger President 6935
Abu Garcia Vendetta VTS706/Pflueger President XT 6730
Quantum EXO-PT/US Reels Hibdon 800

OFFDAAHOOK
Captain

Post by OFFDAAHOOK » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:05 pm

I used to use yarn ball in cali 20 years ago for steel. But i had better sucess wid just plain piece of yarn..as float fishing yarn i used a small splitshots above yarn alls im gonnasay is darker in am and lighter as sun come out...its gonna be easy limits of steel and springs for me and my friends this weekend my bud has some firecure eggz =D> i got some experimental jigs dat im gomma try at cowlits also . Its actualy a modified bass jig need to fine tune it for salmon and steel ill see what happens 8-[
I FISH THEREFORE I AM

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:51 am

Alright that's what I thought to use were the split shots. Any other good tips?

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:34 am

Beau Mac Bait Weights - they are basically slip sinkers only smaller and painted with jig paint. They sizes and colors of corkies. Come in different weights in 5 packs. Just slide it on your leader above your hook and go.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:09 am

that a good idea as well gringo, I use them a lot with eggs but never thought about it with yarn balls. Any body bobberdog them? Also what are some favorite color combos for hatchery steelhead?

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:51 am

Yarn balls are my favorite method in selective gear methods. My favorite is steelhead orange and cerise pink. I have had success on chartreause/flame, straight cerise pink, straight orange, peach and pink. just about any combo works. I bobber dog them just like I would bait. Use pretty much a drift rig under a float. I go with 24-40inches of leader. Make sure the weight is dragging bottom as the float carries it along. If I can use bait I love to put a small piece of shrimp or clump of eggs with it, if you dont have either shrimp scented smelly jelly is great. Yarn balls are super deadly. This year me and FF watched a 15lb dark buck move over 8ft to grab my unscented pink yarnball. it was awesome!

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:18 pm

yarn balls rock under floats! and drifted as well

The Fisherman
Petty Officer

Post by The Fisherman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:23 pm

In the fly tying world a thing called lead thread or something, maybe try putting that or a small diamiter lead wire on your hook neer the eye. Make sure to tie your yarn ball on the lead so that it covers the lead up. This will allow you to fish it like a jig, it might not be heavy enough to keep your float upright so adding some split shot on a foot to about a foot and a half above your yarnie. I'v never fished yarnies before but I'v did some fly fishing and some guys did that with their woolly buggers.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:08 pm

bonker, weve talked about bobber dogging before, do what i showed you with them, drift fish under a float with them, its the best way to do it in my opinion

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:41 am

alright ff, yeah I kinda of came to that conclusion this weekend thrying them out at the cowlitz as well as my yarn ball tying needs some work thanks guys. Any other good color combos that have not been suggested yet for hatchery steelhead, I have been tying up some nightmare pattern glowballs lately and they look pretty good, I meant to try them on the skook this past winter so maybe some cowlitz or calawah summer runs want to volunteer to try this new idea.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:13 am

cant go wrong with any combos of pink, red orange and white. Hawg quest makes a very effective yarnie that has 3 strands of cerise pink, 2 strands of white and one strand of steelhead orange (glowbug yarn)

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:12 pm

yeah I've seen that, it's called the amato ball or something like that I thought. I like Glenn halls style of yarnball but Dave's style is also very nice and I perfer using more stretchy thread and and thread the hook through it so it sits on the top of the hook, which style do you suggest for bobber dogging or does it not really matter?

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:54 pm

Doesnt matter too much. Whatever looks good. I do it a totally different way, hard to explain. Im gonna make a video of it soon tho

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:50 pm

I learned how to tie them from ff and this way is very easy and effective. The way that we do it enables you to have a separate bait loop at the top where your eggs and shrimp can go, that combined with a good looking yarnie=many dead hatchery steel.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm

And many hog sore mouthed natives as well dont forget!!

Brat Bonker
Admiral

Post by Brat Bonker » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:25 pm

haha nice, just what I want.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:35 pm

a few big steel hungry for da yarnies
Attachments
Snapshot 1 (7-2-2012 10-33 PM).png
Snapshot 1 (7-2-2012 10-33 PM).png (246.66 KiB) Viewed 4063 times
Snapshot 2 (7-2-2012 10-33 PM).png
Snapshot 2 (7-2-2012 10-33 PM).png (203 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Kockmandoo
Lieutenant

Post by Kockmandoo » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:08 am

The top fish is the one that swam 8ft over to smash my all pink yarnie. Remember too, when fishing yarnballs to keep your scissors in your front pocket, that way if the strands get messed up at all you can trim the yarnball back into shape. The bottom fish has my favorite color combo, the steelhead orange and cerise pink.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:31 pm

kochman you da forks yarnie slayer