Omak Lake Slaughter

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Re: Omak Lake Slaughter

Post by Mike Carey » Tue May 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Very cool to see all this great info bubble back up. Here's our video from last year:

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Re:

Post by mwdehaan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Check this out bro, I have NO idea what the REAL rules are because its probably pretty sketchy with changes and special rules with the tribe, BUT check this out and scroll down to the special bodies of water, and look under OMAK lake, and see what it says, and the pamphlet is for 2012-2013. Like i said, not sure but this is where i got my info

Go to this site, and click on NON-MEMBER SPORTS FISHING

http://www.colvilletribes.com/fish_and_wildlifeold.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also ive seen Darrel and Dads running trebles and i know he knows the rules.
Well if Darrel and Dads has been releasing fish that have been caught on a treble, they too have been improperly fishing Omak Lake. Not trying to be some forum troll, just like to see rules followed, who likes cheaters? hah. Sorry if I'm coming off like an a@#hole, but here's the tribes policy on catch and release, this copy/paste is taken from your link under PART VI—DEFINITIONS.

“Catch and release” means a method of fishing where no fish may be retained by the angler. Requires selective gear and only lures or flies with a single barbless hook may be used. Bait may not be used in designated “Catch and Release” areas.

The reason this isn't listed under Omak Lake in this .pdf is because it's meant for more then just Omak Lake.

Hope this helps with the confusion.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue May 29, 2012 8:20 pm

No, the info helps, i appreciate it. So during the catch and release season, march 31 to may 31, the rules are no trebles, but can be used the rest of the year? Thats what it sounds like to me then, really hard to follow the pamphlet, took long enough to learn how to use the WA state regs, LOL

SO yes, sounds like during april and may, single barbless is required, but anything except bait is game rest of the season, cool, good to know for next year, thanks Bro!

By the way, Darrel and Dads wasnt fishing during C & R season so theyre following rules
Last edited by RiverChromeGS on Tue May 29, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:24 pm

Not just the season, any catch and release in general. If you use a treble regardless of barbs or not and catch a 3" minnow, technically you have to keep it because you're not fishing with "catch and release" gear.

But I agree with you, rules these days :( Have to read the entire tribal pamphlet to get the whole picture.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue May 29, 2012 8:29 pm

you sure? i might call and check, because it COULD (not sure) but could be saying that when the rules are catch and release, you must use single barbless, but you can use anything when keeping season is on. Says nothing about requiring retention with treble hook, but its confusing, I will call and check for you guys

notice how it says "bait not be used in designated catch and release areas" so what it sounds like is single barbless only applies to the designated areas and times, not the practice of releasing in general. Like i said, confusing, and interesting, and i wanna know!! LOl ill call boys,in the morning, and let you know! Like i said, guides and a few other guys i know fish trebles, so i think its legal, ill check

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Tue May 29, 2012 8:37 pm

It's not, it's not even just for Omak Lake, this catch and release policy covers all tribal waters. That's why it's in the general definitions and not specifically under Omak Lake.

If you use "anything" when Omak Lake is not on it's catch and release season, then you have to keep what you catch. You're correct in it doesn't come out and say mandatory retention if using treble hooks... but it does say catch and release only works with a single barbless... They're not saying it because it's implied is my guess.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue May 29, 2012 9:23 pm

huh, weird it seems, i shall call and make sure, and if so, start switching my rapalas!!!!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 29, 2012 9:51 pm

mwdehaan wrote:Not just the season, any catch and release in general. If you use a treble regardless of barbs or not and catch a 3" minnow, technically you have to keep it because you're not fishing with "catch and release" gear.

But I agree with you, rules these days :( Have to read the entire tribal pamphlet to get the whole picture.
I'm having a tough time finding this part........

I do see the single/selective part for that short time of the year but not the part where you must retain.......... got a page reference? I'm happy to look//////////

Rufus state regs does have some nonsense about it.........

Awesome FISH PICS! Great to see! Always look forward to your posts fishinfreak!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Tue May 29, 2012 10:31 pm

It's all on the link that Fishenfreak left. It's possible I'm reading it wrong but it's my understanding that when they say:

“Catch and release” means a method of fishing where no fish may be retained by the angler. Requires selective gear and only lures or flies with a single barbless hook may be used. Bait may not be used in designated “Catch and Release” areas.

That it is sort of a multiple message. Here's how I read it, which could be completely wrong but I know I'll never get fined for doing it this way. Okay in my mind this is how it looks:

Catch and Release means a method of fishing where no fish can be retained by angler. Catch and Release requires selective gear and only lures or flies with a single barbless hook may be used. Bait may not be used in designated "Catch and Release" areas.

It doesn't come out and say you must retain fish caught on anything other then a single barbless, but I feel it clearly says you can only release from a single barbless, which is implying that if it's not caught on a single barbless, it's going home with you. I believe this is bigger then Omak Lake. It's a given that it applies for Omak Lake's catch and release season, but it's also implied if you're practicing catch and release on tribal lakes, Omak Lake being one of many, not to mention rivers bordering tribal land, that's a headache when it comes to regulations.

There are several State lakes that have a selective gear season, catch and release only. Then they'll turn around and the rest of the season anything goes, trebles, barbs, bait, snagging(just kidding), and you can keep 5 fish. But I don't believe the tribe does things this way.

This is also how I fish Rufus Woods. If you're going to release, don't use a treble, bait, or barbs.

I'm not a tribal member and I'm not a game warden, this is just how I interpret the tribal's regulations and I could be interpreting things wrong, I don't think so but I am human.

Am I the only one reading the regulations this way?

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 29, 2012 10:57 pm

I found this interesting and I believe it is miswritten and certainly not enforced this way: Under definitions, "“Daily catch limit” means the maximum number of fish that may be taken, caught, killed, or possessed by any person as specified and fixed by the Code or regulations of the Business Council. The daily catch limit may be designated for any particular period of time, or may limit catch by length, sex or species."

That 2 letter word "OR" between "killed" and "possessed" as well as the term "daily CATCH limit." "OR" is an inclusive term, computer basic "or" statement...any one of them is included in the maximum number of fish, caught or possessed....... English usage of "daily CATCH limit", common interpretation,,,,, Catch limit........ LOL Completely wrong! LOL Can you imagine any bass fisherman paying the extra fees, going to Twin and catching and releasing only 5 fish..... Yeah, that's not happening! Unless he's unlucky enough to only catch 5 fish. LOL Yep, oops on the trebles but I think you'll find enforcement agrees "catch, pictures, release" while NOT using bait is a free for all, trebles or not, most of the season.

I fished Omak and Twin years ago......

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 29, 2012 11:00 pm

mwdehaan
Yeah, I see how it could be interpreted that way,,,,, I just don't believe it is that way..... Rufus is a different animal with the new state regs..... I haven't read them recently but I think I came to the same conclusion, must retain.....

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue May 29, 2012 11:31 pm

With Omak you are dealing with the Tribe alone. On Rufus you have the Tribe, tempered by the State and lots of money. It's really no suprise the rules can change with a whim. It's there to protect a resource, pure and simple.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed May 30, 2012 12:06 am

"But hey good news! If you want to know the regulations 100% for sure, here's the number:
(509) 634-2110 - Office hours: 7:30am to 4:00pm"

I'd want to be sure as well before heading to Omak or ANY res water, thanks MW.

It is about protecting the resource so we can enjoy it another day. It's just sometimes the regs are just obviously miswritten or hard to interpret correctly by everyone....... I make mistakes.

trivia: Omak was part of a pretty good sized drug bust, 2006, float plane from Canada....

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Wed May 30, 2012 12:22 am

I'm working on getting an email to the right person there at the Colville offices. I wasn't sure a phone call would be clear enough to get the proper clarification. I'll post what I find out if I can get a hold of the right person. I feel bad that this thread went from a Omak Lake Slaughter to a hey what are the damn rules topic ;(

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Wed May 30, 2012 4:10 am

mwdehaan wrote:I'm working on getting an email to the right person there at the Colville offices. I wasn't sure a phone call would be clear enough to get the proper clarification. I'll post what I find out if I can get a hold of the right person. I feel bad that this thread went from a Omak Lake Slaughter to a hey what are the damn rules topic ;(
Don't feel bad,,,,,, I think it's shedding some light on some regs out there on a particular fishery. It could save someone a ticket at some point. I think the Colvilles need to rewrite a portion there in the years that follow.....

There is some awesome fish in there!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed May 30, 2012 9:22 am

cool, let us know what you find. The debate is whether the definition "catch and release" applies to the designated times and areas for catch and release, or the practice itself, no matter where or when. Im gonna call and find out also, it can be interpreted both ways. However i know many people who fish trebles so i am pretty sure its legal to release on trebles during catch and keep season

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed May 30, 2012 9:36 am

BOTTOM LINE IS!!!!!!

I just called the office. Single barbless is ONLY required during the catch and release period. Once june 1st comes around, you can catch and release on any hooks, treble, single, barbed or not, as long as no bait is used. It only applies to catch and release periods, not the practice itself, straight from the Colville Office. There ya go, now we know for sure!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Wed May 30, 2012 9:50 am

[thumbup]
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Wed May 30, 2012 11:22 am

Mike.
What time of year was it when you and anton went and slayed? Seems like your males were darker than the ones we found (minus the ones spawning near creek at south end). Also. Did u guys fish in the north embayment at all? We could not when we were there. But saw so many cruising and rolling

mwdehaan
Petty Officer

Post by mwdehaan » Wed May 30, 2012 12:58 pm

fishenfreak wrote:BOTTOM LINE IS!!!!!!

I just called the office. Single barbless is ONLY required during the catch and release period. Once june 1st comes around, you can catch and release on any hooks, treble, single, barbed or not, as long as no bait is used. It only applies to catch and release periods, not the practice itself, straight from the Colville Office. There ya go, now we know for sure!
hahaha, oh this is hilarious. Here's my email and the reply I received.

My email:

"Basically, if someone is fishing Omak Lake, regardless of the catch and release season, and they're releasing fish, they need to be using a single barbless hook, correct? It's my interpretation that this is required for the catch and release season AND for the rest of the year and not only for Omak Lake but for many other fisheries such as Rufus Woods as well or even all tribal owned lakes. Also that this is implying that if you catch something on a treble hook, bait, or barbs, regardless of size, you're supposed to keep it since you can only release on a single barbless."

Reply from Hatchery Subdivision Manager and Senior Resident Fish Biologist:

"Your interpretation is correct. Also, if the fish is injured, even using a single barbless hook, you must keep it and count it as part of your limit."

So, I'm not sure who you talked to behind the phone but I believe my source to be a very reliable one and I know I'll be following what he says. Would sure be nice if we both got the same answers, big sigh.