eastern washington winter bank fishing

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
dave g
Warrant Officer

eastern washington winter bank fishing

Post by dave g » Mon Jan 02, 2012 5:43 am

i just got back incountry and am planning a trip to the east side later this week minus my boat, which means i'll be banking it :-({|= . i'll be centered around the chelan, coulee city area for the most part, but have no problem traveling for fish (obviously). i intend to hit rufus of course, but only know the roads on the chief jo end. i'm hoping to try up by the pens if i can get directions as i've only been up there on my boat. i'm putting together a wish list of lakes to hit and if any of you guys can recommend a favorite lake or spot that produces for you this time of year and you don't mind sharing, i'd love to hear it. rat and Roosevelt lakes are on the list as well, though i've never been. any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance for any info...

hewesfisher
Admiral

Re: eastern washington winter bank fishing

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:32 am

Roosevelt has been fishing poorly of late, and bank anglers I spoke with Saturday were just enjoying the nice day but not beaching any fish. We saw several other boats there and never saw a net get dipped. Spoke to another boater as we were loading up and they were fishless. We managed 2 in 6 hours, with another 2 hits that didn't stay on. Some say Hawk Creek is a better place to fish right now, but I can't say as to bank angling there.

Rufus has better reports and fish are nice. I'd definitely make that one of your stops. Banks is really, really low, and I don't know if there is any bank or ice fishing opportunity there at all.

Enjoy your stay! [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:13 am

thanks phil

rufus has always been my favorite fishery. most of the 'bankies' i've seen there were at the middle set of pens and i just need to poke around a bit and find the right roads to get there. also maybe the lower set as well. i've only fished roosevelt once, just above coulee dam, but i've wanted to explore that more. the trout there definately put up a better fight than the RW trips as a rule.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:31 am

dave g wrote:thanks phil

rufus has always been my favorite fishery. most of the 'bankies' i've seen there were at the middle set of pens and i just need to poke around a bit and find the right roads to get there. also maybe the lower set as well. i've only fished roosevelt once, just above coulee dam, but i've wanted to explore that more. the trout there definately put up a better fight than the RW trips as a rule.
Dave I'll agree with you on the fight as a general rule, but we found the RW trips to have plenty of that when there in late Sept. In contrast, both the fish we caught Saturday at Roosevelt were very sluggish in the fight. I actually thought both were smaller fish or walleye due to their lack of fight. Both, however, came alive as soon as they got with 50' of the boat, and put up a very nice fight in the last 30' or so. Don't know if it was due to the colder surface temps (41°) or the fact a storm front had just moved through the day prior. Didn't matter, it was a nice day, great company, and I wasn't home doing chores or other things. Fish in the cooler was a bonus and they just went in the smoker an hour ago. [cool]
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

fishslayer80
Petty Officer

Post by fishslayer80 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:49 pm

To get to the upper pens on Rufus go to Nespelem and turn at the trading post. As you drive parallel to the river take the first left just past the turn in for pens. The turn is not really marked. Bank fishing by the pens has been tough the last couple of weeks. I have actually had better luck at Brandts landing. Good luck to you.

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:44 am

thanks fishslayer :salut: . i had a pretty good idea how to get there, but firsthand info is always best. i'm gonna try both ends. i've had decent luck from the bank as well as a boat on the lower end, so i'm definately gonna try my luck bankin' it up by the pens too.