New website in pending battle against voracious pike

NO, it's not a muskie, but it's close...
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

New website in pending battle against voracious pike

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:26 pm

WDFW NEWS RELEASE
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
http://wdfw.wa.gov/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

December 13, 2011

WDFW will enlist anglers, new website
in pending battle against voracious pike

OLYMPIA - Concerned about the spread of northern pike in Washington waters, the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is gearing up for a spring campaign to halt the advance of the voracious, non-native fish toward the Columbia River.

In the coming months, state fishery managers plan to enlist anglers to remove as many northern pike as possible from the Pend Oreille River, a conduit for pike moving downstream from Idaho and Montana.

"Anglers can play a major role in this effort," said John Whalen, WDFW’s regional fish program manager in Spokane. "Come spring, we’re going to need their help to keep northern pike from invading the Columbia River."

A new webpage ( http://wdfw.wa.gov/ais/esox_lucius/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) on WDFW’s website outlines the rapid proliferation of northern pike in the Pend Oreille River since 2004 and the threat they pose to native fish species.

Biological surveys conducted in conjunction with the Kalispel Tribe and Eastern Washington University reveal a dramatic decline in native minnows, largemouth bass, yellow perch and other fish species that inhabit the 55-mile Box Canyon Reservoir.

"Non-native northern pike are high-impact predators of many other fish," Whalen said. "We’re increasingly concerned about future impacts to native trout and other species, including salmon and steelhead."

Fish managers have traced the movement of northern pike into the Pend Oreille River from rivers in Montana, where they were stocked illegally. Last spring, Canadian anglers reported catching them in the Columbia River near its confluence with the Pend Oreille, just north of the border between Washington state and British Columbia.

"That’s a big concern," Whalen said. "If northern pike start spreading down the Columbia River, they could create significant ecological and economic damage."

Earlier this year, WDFW held public meetings in Spokane and Newport to discuss possible options for controlling northern pike. Regardless of what other methods are used, anglers represent a major line of defense, Whalen said.

"These fish average 2-3 pounds, but can run up to 30 pounds apiece," he said, noting that there are no daily catch limits or size limits on northern pike in Washington state.

To help reduce the pike population, WDFW has proposed changing state fishing regulations to allow anglers to fish with two poles in the Pend Oreille River. The department has also proposed stripping the northern pike from its designation as a "game fish," while continuing to classify it as a "prohibited species" that cannot lawfully be transported to state waters.

"That change would help clarify our management goals," Whalen said. "Anglers could keep fishing for them, but the change in designation would signal that the priority is to control the spread of northern pike and their impact on native fish species."

The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission, which sets policy for WDFW, will hear public testimony on that and other proposed fishing rule changes during a public meeting scheduled Jan. 6-7 in Olympia. WDFW will also accept written comments on those proposals through Dec. 30. The commission is scheduled to take action on those proposals at a public meeting Feb. 3-4 in Olympia.

For more information on the rule-making process, see the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/regulations/rule_proposals/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .

This message has been sent to the WDFW News Releases & Weekender mailing list.
Visit the WDFW News Release Archive at: http://wdfw.wa.gov/news/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mark K
Lieutenant

Re: New website in pending battle against voracious pike

Post by Mark K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:56 pm

"Biological surveys conducted in conjunction with the Kalispel Tribe and Eastern Washington University reveal a dramatic decline in native minnows, largemouth bass, yellow perch and other fish species that inhabit the 55-mile Box Canyon Reservoir."

So, now Largemouth Bass, and Perch are Native? Did I read that right?

It's laughable that one of the Kalispells main points are Pike are Non native, and predators at that! Yet they continue to stock non native LMB into the river. ](*,) Don't get me wrong, I love the Bass fishing there but how hypocritical [-X

AND, Ive still yet to hear them even hit on the SMB issue the river is now having...

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:58 pm

Ahh M.K.,
please stop whining ok..? lol Pike are good for 2 things ..fish fries and musky bait..lol. Love ya man! Todd

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:24 pm

muskyhunter wrote:Ahh M.K.,
please stop whining ok..? lol Pike are good for 2 things ..fish fries and musky bait..lol. Love ya man! Todd
I stand corrected! Kill them all! [thumbsup] Lol. Cabin Fever's killing me! Hopefully soon I'll see if I cant get me some of that Muskie Bait through the ice!

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:30 pm

Right on Marko..my job is complete..yahoo!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:10 pm

I'd really like to tug on a line with one of them pikes on the end of it someday. But if those guys get out and start munching on my salmon it's on. That's all I'm saying bout that. Keep 'em in the Pend Orielle and have at 'em. One day I'll make it out there and have a blast.

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:25 am

Mark K wrote:"Biological surveys conducted in conjunction with the Kalispel Tribe and Eastern Washington University reveal a dramatic decline in native minnows, largemouth bass, yellow perch and other fish species that inhabit the 55-mile Box Canyon Reservoir."

So, now Largemouth Bass, and Perch are Native? Did I read that right?

It's laughable that one of the Kalispells main points are Pike are Non native, and predators at that! Yet they continue to stock non native LMB into the river. ](*,) Don't get me wrong, I love the Bass fishing there but how hypocritical [-X

AND, Ive still yet to hear them even hit on the SMB issue the river is now having...
Misinterpreted. Native refers to the minnows only. They clarify that in another publication regarding this issue.

Apparently they're worried Pike will be a more voracious predator than SMB, LMB, and Walleye already are in the Columbia river to native runs of Salmon and Steelhead. I see their concern.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:44 pm

This is the letter we have sent to every Rep and Senator and State legislator we can. No one wants to see the Pike anywhere but where they currently reside in Box Canyon. I dont think using the scare technique is the best way of going about it getting the public involved. We need to approach this as how to control the influx of fish past Box Canyon. Makes me mad when I see this scare tactic used when there is no proof they will do anything to the Salmon and Steelhead. The Pike live in the same bodies of water backeast and live together just fine and each species flurish. Pike in a river dont live in the same part of the river as the Salmon. Pike dont prefer fast water as do the Salmon. I just wish we could get everyone to just admitt that this is all about money and the dollars either the State or Kalispel Tribe have to lose from the power companies. I would rather know this is all about money rather than all the talk about how we want to reintroduce a species of trout on a body of water that is no longer a trout river. The truth would be better than the smoke screens.

I am writing in regards to the Box Canyon Reservoir Pike”.

Anglers have been talking to WDFW regarding the pike fishery and unfortunately, they do not seem to care what we have to say. Our wish is to work with WDFW to manage the pike fishery and maintain an excellent sports fishery in Pend Oreille. The interest in this fishery has been growing steadily over the last few years. If managed properly I feel that this growing fishery could be a big benefit to Pend Oreille County and to WDFW. My husband and I own YJ Guide Service and we have watched the interest in anglers wanting to fish for northern pike in Box Canyon Reservoir grow. We have received calls from anglers in Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming and even as far as Australia and all of them have heard about the pike fishing in Box Canyon and want to come give it a try. This interest could potentially bring some much needed income to Pend Oreille County.

The 2004 fish survey report generated from WDFW showed that “the fish community in box Canyon Reservoir was prey crowded and dominated by overabundant forage species, to include yellow perch, pumpkinseed, sunfish, northern pikeminnow and tench. The primary predator at that time was the Largemouth Bass, and these were found to be at low density at the time of this survey. The fishery managers from WDFW and Kalispel Indian Tribe built a fish hatchery in 1997 to attempt to increase the numbers of Largemouth Bass through annual supplementation even though the Largemouth Bass are not considered a native species to this water. The indices of the population structure from the 2004 survey gave no indication that largemouth bass supplementation efforts have to date increased the population within the reservoir. WDFW would like people to believe that pike have eaten their way in the largemouth bass fishery, this is unfounded and untrue. The truth is that with the increase in prey fish and the decrease of largemouth bass it makes sense to manage northern pike since they are a self-sustaining fish and they in turn will decrease the population of prey fish as well as offer an excellent sport fishery.

WDFW has reported that the numbers of pike were increasing and the size of the fish was decreasing. We have researched this and have recommended to WDFW that if they manage the fishery, with angler help, by putting a catch size limit on the fish and returning the big fish back to the water unharmed. Studies conducted in similar bodies of water show that the big fish help control the small fish, since pike will eat their own kind. Accroding to studies done in Maine, “Pike have been widely distributed to provide a large fish sport fishery and to “manage” populations of smaller fish that are prone to stunting.” There was a recommendation made in a report that was generated on June 15, 2011 on the Northern Pike in Box Canyon Reservoir, by Eastern Washington University, department of Biology and Kalispel Tribe of Indians stating, “Previous work has shown that to produce large northern pike, the harvest of the large fish must be curtailed because the larger pike eat smaller pike thereby allowing predatory pike and their prey to achieve balance. Therefore, one of the best options to check northern pike population growth may be to protect the largest pike in the population. Gill netting does not allow this.” The 2004 fish survey from WDFW stated the following, “an increase in predator abundance (Northern Pike) might improve the predator/prey balance in the reservoir. However, at the time of our 2004 survey there was no apparent change in the overall predator/prey balance of the fish community even though northern pike were sampled. The fact that the fish community proportions have not yet noticeably changed, may be due to the fact that the northern pike numbers are still relatively low” It seems that the reports I have referenced show that it would be in the best interest of WDFW to embrace this fishery and manage the fish by setting slot limits on the size and number of fish that are kept.

There have been reports that Northern Pike have gone over the dams, leaving Box Canyon reservoir. This may be true, but probably is not the normal. With the construction of Box Canyon Dam in 1955, the slower flowing river, warmer water temperatures, and backwater sloughs have provided a habitat that is ideal for Northern Pike. The prey in Box Canyon is also ideal for northern pike. Therefore, there is no reason for the pike to leave this water. If the pike are going over the dam then it makes more sense to deal with the fish on the other side of the dam and stop them at that time as opposed to spending thousands of dollars trying to eradicate a fish in its ideal habitat. All surveys that have been conducted on the northern pike state the eradication is not possible, so WDFW should not waste their limited resources on something that is not possible. It would make more sense to work with the anglers to manage the fish that are in box canyon now and keep them there.

Pend Oreille river used to have native bull trout and cutthroat trout populations and these fish are targets of multi-million dollar restoration and enhancement efforts. Even if fish ladders were installed at box canyon dam, Box Canyon Reservoir is not ideal water for these fish. The only way to restore this fishery completely is to take out the dams and get rid of the reservoir. The pike are not eating this money away, people are. It is extremely unfair and ignorant to blame this on the pike.

I have read many articles regarding the pike and the content of these articles seem to be based on another press release from WDFW and is not supportive of the anglers. For some reason there is a vendetta out on the pike and tunnel vision on Box Canyon Reservoir. Why are the Smallmouth bass not looked at as a threat, since their numbers are growing? Why isn’t there concern with the Pike that are in Long Lake when this lake is only two dams away from the pike getting into the Columbia River? I understand that no one wants to see these fish anywhere but where they currently are. Anglers want to work with WDFW and Kalispel Tribe to manage the pike in Box Canyon Reservoir and create an excellent sport fishery for Pend Oreille County. Northern Pike are not the evil fish they are made out to be. According to the surveys that have been conducted Northern Pike can be very useful to Box Canyon Reservoir if managed properly.

I do not want to see Northern Pike reclassified as a prohibited species. This reclassification would only cause more problems with the overabundance of prey fish in Box Canyon Reservoir. I propose that WDFW and Kalispel Tribe work with anglers to manage the pike fishery in Box Canyon Reservoir and use their limited financial resources to stop the fish that do get over the dam. We need to embace this excellent fishery and financial opportunity for Pend Oreille County. Unless we plan on stopping the flow of water from Montana this is going to be a issue we have to deal with for many years to come. We will not stop supporting the fishery that brings money to the poorest county in Washington State. We do want to work with WDFW to come up with a plan that makes sense and is cost effective.

Thank you,

Melodie

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:51 pm

Hey Mel and Craig,

I have been spreading the word over here on the West side about the Pike in the Pend Oreille and the issues that are being faced with trying to eliminate the Pike out of the River. I have been urging people over here to come on a fishing trip with me this Spring to the Pend Oreille River. The Great News is that right now I have 4 buddies who have never fished for Pike and are very excited to give it a try and Oh Yeah they are Salmon anglers so they are more than willing to give a real opinion on this fishery. Hopefully we can help get some more people interested and bring a reality as to just how great the Pike fishing can be in Box Canyon. All it takes is 1 time of fishing for the famous Northern Pike and almost everyone I have ever introduced to this type of fishing becomes hooked, figuratively speaking. I am looking forward to introducing 4 new anglers to the sport of Northern Pike fishing this spring so get your gear ready, I will be coming soon. I will certainly keep in contact with you guys and let you know my schedule. You keep staying busy on that side of the Cascades with the Pike issues and I will keep it going on this end and continue to bring to light what Pike fishing really is all about on the Pend Oreille to those on the West Side. Pend Oreille here we come! :cheers:

Nate

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:30 am

I wish the WDFW would take as much interest in controlling Carp and Tench as they are in controlling the warmwater species.
I reamember when the WDFW told us to kill every Bass and Walleye that we caught.
No limits on Panfish for years, but It seems they are really out to get the Pike.

Melodie
Angler

Post by Melodie » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:08 pm

I have truly had enough with this, "kill all the Pike" business! It seems that WDFW does not want to listen to facts. The pike are not the threat that they are making them out to be. All studies that I have read state that the Pike can be a benefit to the waterway, not a threat and this information comes from reports and studies that WDWF has done themselves. So my question is, why are they on such a vendetta now? Ge the facts. Pike are not killing the bass and other gamefish in the Pend Oreille and chances are, they will not leave their current home. If we promote the large fish, then we will maintain balance in the POR. If we do not allow the pike to maintain the balance, the POR will be over run with perch, pike minnow, blue gill and other food fish (information provided by studies done by WDFW). There is so much information out there to promote the fishery, people just need to become informed. Please don't let this fishery be destroyed by ignorance. [cursing]

river rat
Petty Officer

Post by river rat » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:54 pm

I've fished the po for over forty years and think the smallmouth and pike boom are just what we needed. I don't agree with illegal species introduction, although history has proved legal introduction doesn't always turn out so good either. For years the river provided stunted panfish, a few trout and largemouth and lots of pike minnow. Walleye were introduced years ago and only a few survived as far as I can tell. I agree the Kalispel are hard pressed to make the river a largemouth hotspot, with little success. I think the smallmouth have decided that they are better suited and their size and numbers prove it. It seems the pike have been blamed for all the missing fish and the smallmouth are seldom mentioned. I noticed a serious decline in the perch after the flood of 97 and now they're fewer but better size. Hopefully the anglers the state wants to eradicate the pike are the same anglers that have been enjoying this fishery the last few years and follow the advice of Melodie and practice catch and release of the larger ones to keep it a trophy impoundment. If you agree, let the state know and stop the eradication proposals and also to stop the spring trapping of pike by the Kalispel for so called research.

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:31 pm

Thanks River Rat we need more people such as yourself to help spread the word. we the fisherman need this Pike fishery. Everyone needs to know the facts not just the scare tactics that are spread throughout the state in some of the press reports. I encourage everyone to do some research before passing judgement, get the facts.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:32 am

Northerns spawn when the water reaches around the 40 degree mark.

Pike often strike fish one-half there body length.

Sacandaga Reservoir in New York claims the world record of 46 pounds 2 ounces although larger Pike have been caught in Scotland, Ireland and Germany.

Large Pike feed very little after water temps hit 75 degrees.

The Northern Pike is one of the most adaptable fish species.
They can live in nearly every type of fresh water enviroment.

Still fishing baits include, Suckers, Perch, Chubs, Shiners,Ciccos and Whitefish.
The baitfish should measure 6 to 12 inches in length.

Pike can tolerate low oxygen levels that kill other species.

These are just a few facts that I have found sofar.

Lucius
Commander

Post by Lucius » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:22 pm

](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

The image above...take this to the depths of eternity and you will only have a mere glimpse of my frustration....all we have ever asked is that they follow in the footsteps from the entities that have managed this fish since the inception of fish management and not recreate the wheel and go through the problems MN has gone through. We do not want the pike in the Columbia river at all and we will help in anyway we can to prevent that and to keep them in the POR aka Box Canyon Reservoir. Following the method below has been proven to change the size structure of the population of northern pike to a smaller population of larger fish....Isn't that what they want to accomplish excluding the impossible of total eradication? Straight from the Minnesota DNR website:

".....Although the size structure for pike increased in 2010 only five pike longer than 30 inches were sampled. The increase in size structure can be attributed to several causes. Cisco abundance has increased (cisco are preferred prey that provides more energy than other similar size prey), which may lead to faster growth rates. Reduced abundance is also beneficial to the pike population since increased pike density can cause more competition for food and space which may lead to decrease growth.

Although pike size structure has improved, further improvement is achievable. Angler harvest can have a large impact on the size structure of a pike population. This is also one of few factors people have any control over. When anglers harvest the largest fish they catch, they can cause a decrease in the size structure of the fish they are harvesting. This occurs because fish are removed faster than other fish can grow to replace them. Anglers can help increase the number of quality size pike in the population by releasing fish between 24 and 32 inches. This will allow pike the time to grow closer to their potential, and increase the chance of catching 8 to 10 pound fish."

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/lakefind/sho ... m=11014700" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you will have to scroll down a little to find these paragraphs....you know what that's it. I am calling in a favor...I am calling Tim Tebow :cheers:

Natebg1
Lieutenant

Post by Natebg1 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:08 pm

Great report Buddy,

Now the next thing to do is get in line and get prepared for the upcoming meetings. I will certainly volunteer to attend the one in Olympia. I will look up the information and get the time and location. I say enough with the talk, I am going to literally start bringing Salmon Fishermen from the West Side over to the Pend Oreille myself for some good ole fashion Northern Pike Fishing and let them decide for themselves what they think and how they view this whole issue. I already have 4 Salmon Fisherman lined up and I am hoping by the end of the week I will have 5 maybe even 6. Craig and Mel, I hope you guys are both ready, I may honestly need an extra boat to help with this. If you know any other folks that want to bring a couple of Salmon Fisherman out on the Pend Oreille for a day of fishing this coming Spring let me know and we will just make a complete weekend out of it and introduce some new people to this phenominal place. Think about the domino affect that will have. You introduce 5 or 6 new people to Pike fishing, they go back to Western Washington and tell all their buddies, family members, and other anglers and then it becomes a waterfall of people who are interested in seeing this for themselves and before long it is PIKE MANIA on the Pend Oreille River!!! That is my main goal right now, I want to introduce any and all Salmon Anglers possible on this side to Northern Pike Fishing for the very first time and then let them see the reality for themselves! Plus it couldn't possibly be bad for business either, I am sure Pend Oreille County would really appreciate it! [thumbsup]
Power to the Pike and carrying on the traditions of True Pike Fishing!

Nate "The Pike Baron"

Fish-N-Fool
Commander

Post by Fish-N-Fool » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:09 pm

I too have been doing my part to help keep the Pike in the P.O. I have wrote letters and sent them off as well as made some phone calls which somewhat falls on deaf ears since I'm not a Washington resident, but I buy my nonresident license every year just to be able to fish for pike in the P.O. so should that give me less of a voice in the matter then any other licensed fisherman? Sure I have other pike waters here in Idaho, but from my house the river is the closest place to fish for Pike and it is that best place that I have found for big Pike. Even the Chain lakes which are suppose to be great, pale in comparison IMHO.
I'd love to go to the meeting in Olympia, but it's just possible with current gas prices and my current lack of cash. I don't understand why they hold a meeting about the P.O. River 300 miles away? It's like the are hoping no one will show up to argue our side so they can just shove down our throat. So I will do all I can from my computer here in Idaho sending emails to anyone I can find on the net to send them to so you guys in the know keep posting those email addresses.
If I have my boat motor fixed by spring and It's looking good that I might. I would be able to provide my boat up to a couple salmon fisherman for a day.
I think starting a Pike club for any fisherman that fish in the PO should get going and get organized. Not a Washington Pike club but a Pend Oreille River Pike club so it would include all who fish it.
I know that we as a club (Chapter 60 Mountain Muskies) have been doing a lot on this matter and I'm sure that group will do more with Craig and Mel heading it up, but i think a group dedicated to Pike fishing would carry more influence with the powers that be.
I know I would like to get involved with a Pike group based about fishing the P.O. River and saving a great fishery.
As I know there are some monster Pike in that River that will shatter the current state record. I had one on last year that was bigger then huge, LOL It cut me off and I use 80lb fluorocarbon leader then it just swam over to about 5 feet of water and sat there. I got a good look at it and I know it was well over 50" and 35/40 pounds maybe even 45 pounds IT WAS A FRIGGGGIN TOAD LOL
Oh well next year, my point being fish like that don't come along just anywhere. It has to be some good habitat to grow a Pike that big, so this is a fishery worth saving and I hope we can band together and fight the faults info and threats of doom that the WSFG has been spreading.
OK I'm getting down off my soapbox now.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:13 am

I would think that as the Pike population grows in Lake Roosevelt we are going to see some real contenders for the world record. Trout being a high source of protein has grown some very large fish in the past and with all the net pens down stream, the Pike will have a little trouble finding food.
I have heard the argument that Pike don,t eat Trout but can,t buy into it as other preditors such as the Bass and Walleye use the resource as do Panfish and even Trout so why not Pike?
So, how do we keep them out of the Columbia?

YJ Guide Service
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by YJ Guide Service » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Studies have proven they dont prefer the Trout. These studies have been done by biologists from Eastern Washington Univ and WDFW as Well as the Kalispels all proving from their own studies they dont prefer fish they have to work hard to catch. They prefer fish that are slow, stupid and fatty. The trout is way to fast and smart. The trout and Pike also usually dont inhabit the same waters. I could see them eating some of the Walleye that WDFW and the Spokane Tribe dont want in there anyways, which doesnt make sense either. How to keep them out of the Columbia is defenitly the million dollar question. I guess we could just shut the river flow off and make sure none of it comes from Montana LOL...I think at this point its not how do we keep them from getting there, but how do we manage them when it does happen. I dont remember ever seeing any reports about a state eleminating a species of fish that has gotten into a river as big as the PO River and the Columbia. I can see them controlling them in a lake, but not in a river that is having the fish introduced from a diffrent state. Maybe WDFW needs to contact Monatana and hold them accountable. As much as we all dont want to see them expand their territory, natures going to do what it wants to wheather we want it to or not. I keep preaching management not erradication. Lets spend the money wisely that their going to spend to try and do this and spend the money on a management plan.

Mark K
Lieutenant

Post by Mark K » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 pm

YellowBear wrote:So, how do we keep them out of the Columbia?
In my opinion the obvious place to start is to put the effort they are putting into Box Canyon reservoir into Boundary reservoir, and possibly the area north of Northport instead. It has been said over and over again that eradication is IMPOSSIBLE. The Pike will spawn in Box Canyon, and continue down stream from Idaho every year, nets or no nets. All the while they are being ignored in the very area we are concerned about them arriving. Doesn't make much sense does it?

Why would they not try and eradicate a potential population down stream as it seems such an obvious place to start? Jason Connor said killing one Pike in his nets is hundreds (possibly thousands) of pike he won't have to deal with the following year. So is it not more valuable to take that one Pike out of the down stream side where they are yet to establish? One of the many things that does not make sense in the mismanagement of this whole situation.

My .02 for what it's worth.