ID this fish!

Post and find fish ID pictures/descriptions here!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
physher92
Petty Officer

ID this fish!

Post by physher92 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:01 pm

saw a bunch of these fish in a stream getting ready to spawn and die. all fish were about 10-16 inches and orange/red in color with an orange head. Seemed to small to be salmon but trout don't die when they spawn so I'm a little puzzled...

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: ID this fish!

Post by Amx » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:07 pm

I'd say it's a Small Red Xfish. :scratch:
Tom.

Interests: living

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Nov 13, 2011 6:19 pm

With no image to go off and based entirely on the description my bet is Kokanee.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:54 pm

Kokanee. They're mini-salmon. They are cool when they put on their colors. I get a kick out of 'em. Someday I'm going to have a mount of one made.

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 am

physher92 wrote:Image

saw a bunch of these fish in a stream getting ready to spawn and die. all fish were about 10-16 inches and orange/red in color with an orange head. Seemed to small to be salmon but trout don't die when they spawn so I'm a little puzzled...
As others have said, most likely they're Kokanee. I'm curious which creek/river you saw them in? Maybe we can figure out which lake they're coming from. Facebook isn't letting us see the link, but you should be able to attach it if you reply.

I've been stopping by a creek on my way home from work that I've seen Salmon in during years past and I've realized I can't identify them worth a darn. I was convinced I'd seen a whole bunch of Chums in there last year, but looking at the King County salmon counts indicated that there are never any Chums in that system (nor any waterway coming from Lake Washington as far as I could tell).

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:42 pm

I believe I got to see a bunch of Kokanee spawning myself this evening. I changed up where I've been stopping and went a couple miles south on the same stream and found dozens and dozens of what I presume were Kokanee this evening. The light was already pretty bad by the time I arrived, but I wouldn't really say they were particularly red, but the size was definitely right. Pretty cool to see fish spawning like that.

Return to “The Pacific NW Fish ID Corner”