chum fishing in puget sound

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: chum fishing in puget sound

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:29 pm

oneshot wrote:the commercials wiped out the snoho/sky run a few years back.. roe was at an all time high $$$
now you cannot target Chum in this system because the numbers are so small.. :( prime example of over fishing.
Now you can't even start to go blaming the commercial boys for that. Try mother nature and the huge floods that washed out the spawning beds, there and the Skagit. That is the reason for ESA listing. Not commercial.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:31 pm

jens wrote:
oneshot wrote:bank fishing salt for chums.

HOODSPORT![/quote

How does everyone fish for them out there? I will be fishing out of a boat.

http://www.pugetsoundanglers.org/fishin ... _chums.htm
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:34 pm

I stick up for my employer too.. :pirat:

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:38 pm

oneshot wrote:I stick up for my employer too.. :pirat:

I haven't been in the seafood biz for many years and I'm not sure how that would be sticking up for the evil empire. [blink]

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:02 pm

why do the other "species" continue to come in good numbers to the snoho system but the chum are practically extinct? the commericals fished the crap out of them right out in front of everett.
correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't the "big flood" you are speaking of right after a pink season? or was it one of those other years it flooded?

i'm gonna leave this one with a big ol.. IMO...

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

oneshot wrote:why do the other "species" continue to come in good numbers to the snoho system but the chum are practically extinct? the commericals fished the crap out of them right out in front of everett.
correct me if i am wrong, but wasn't the "big flood" you are speaking of right after a pink season? or was it one of those other years it flooded?

i'm gonna leave this one with a big ol.. IMO...

I guess it can be your opinion.... #-o

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:37 pm

Chums even come into Carkeek park. (Pipers Creek) just N. on the beach from shilshole. As Bodo said, School programs have a fry raising program. It isn't a huge run. I think a few years ago the fish counting mechanism in the creek counted 700-800 fish. You can't fish in the creek, but you can fish from the mouth at Puget Sound. I take my kids down to the park at like 11:00 pm in the pitch dark and listen to them run up the creek. It's crazy.

MotoBoat
Commodore

Post by MotoBoat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:57 am

The Quadfather wrote:Chums even come into Carkeek park. (Pipers Creek) just N. on the beach from shilshole. As Bodo said, School programs have a fry raising program. It isn't a huge run. I think a few years ago the fish counting mechanism in the creek counted 700-800 fish. You can't fish in the creek, but you can fish from the mouth at Puget Sound. I take my kids down to the park at like 11:00 pm in the pitch dark and listen to them run up the creek. It's crazy.
But how is the fishing at 11pm or any other time?

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:48 am

This is the 2011 agreement between the tribes, commercials and WDFW. Page 19 talks about the Sno/Stilly Agreement covering Pinks, Coho and Chums. On page 20 they talk about the Chums and to start with only an "evaluation fishery" is allowed week beg 10/16, sooo, they must be concerned about the Chum run.. The whole thing makes interesting reading.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/tribal/2011-12agreement.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:42 pm

I brought this up earlier but I didnt get a response. The Tulalip bubble is open now same rules as 8-2, you can keep Chums, at least from my reading of the regs. I know the Tulalips raise Chums at their hatchey, has anyone tried the Bubble for Chums? Seems like it should be good but before I go through the process of launching and going there I'd like to get a read if it is worth it.

Send me a PM if you want to keep it quiet.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Are there any decent chum fisheries within an hours drive from Seattle? Supoosedly the Puke And Green has runs I think. Should the same spots that produced pinks and silvers produce chums? Ive heard of Chambers, Minter and Kennedy creeks with chums but I have no idea how to get there besides Minter Creek. The Nisqually is also another option. Should I stay local, or drive for the best chance to hook into some chums?

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:38 pm

Most of my Chum fishing has been in the Sky but its closed for Chums now. I've fished the lower Nisqually a few times for Chums. Its kind of a long trip for me, lot of traffic, so I dont go there much but the few times I did go there were a lot of Chums. Also lots of folks. The last time I was there it seemed most of the guys were flossing, long leaders, 1 oz of weight and a green corky and a single hook. Upstream of the R&R bridge, late run, TDay or later. Shoulder to shoulder fishing.

oneshot
Commodore

Post by oneshot » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:29 pm

returnofthefish wrote:Are there any decent chum fisheries within an hours drive from Seattle? Supoosedly the Puke And Green has runs I think.
right around thanksgiving go find Metzler park in the green river valley.. good spot for turkey day chums!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:50 pm

I use to fish off the steamboat island bridge for them. They'd come through in schools underneath your bobber and they'd hit a herring sometimes. In no way was it action like in the river, but for a couple of hours after school it was fun enough for me growing up at steamboat island. They also loved a candlefish under a bobber. They'd nail it and we'd pull in some coho too. Although I have no idea where the chinook and coho that we caught were headed, it was still fun. Other than that I have no experience fishing for chum in the salt at all. They call it keta salmon in my grocery store and it sells for 3.99 to 6.99 a pound. It's fish. My Joy of Cooking cookbook says that chum salmon is the best choice and the most versatile of the salmon species. Next only to pinks. HEhehe, I guess there are different tastes for different folks. As for fishing for 'em, its way hot in the estuary, but I don't think I'd keep anything from the fresh water, unless it was dime bright, which is unlikely.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:01 pm

oneshot wrote:
returnofthefish wrote:Are there any decent chum fisheries within an hours drive from Seattle? Supoosedly the Puke And Green has runs I think.
right around thanksgiving go find Metzler park in the green river valley.. good spot for turkey day chums!
Thats pretty close to the pumpkin patch by highway 18. I found the address to the park, but google maps doesnt even show it.

MikeFishes
Commander

Post by MikeFishes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:48 pm

I've always wanted to try Chum, but it looks like picking will be slim on the east side of the sound. Obviously I want to stay away from the rivers up where I am (snohomish county). But what about shore fishing into the salt? Any beaches within reach of Everett good? Or would I just be wasting my time?

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:54 pm

returnofthefish wrote:
oneshot wrote:
Thats pretty close to the pumpkin patch by highway 18. I found the address to the park, but google maps doesnt even show it.

The green is pretty good right at the spot where you and I first met :-$ and downstream from that. Up by highway 18 and the log jam we nailed 'em last year, and there are a lot of dark fish but sometimes you get loucky and get a chromer or something brighter. Like what's been said, they hang out in the estuary and get good and ready to hit the hey with the pretty chum ladies and then BAM! Every shallow flat, under every stump and every deep hole they just magically appear overnight. You can keep on the green, and it's pretty darn fun. I already caught one up by 18, so they're there. I got one in the Wallace too. I'm going to try for them out in the salt this year up here though, we'll see what we see.

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:53 pm

I tried that secret spot this year for pinks, but went too early when the run was starting to trickle through. I will probably wait 2-3 more weeks and attempt to catch my first chum.