Blown out rivers...

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Photobby
Petty Officer

Blown out rivers...

Post by Photobby » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:33 pm

I was hoping to hit the Sky on my way home today, but this morning it looks to be blown out.... Any suggestions? I was planning on drifting eggs, and possibly DN's. Typically if the water has been brown I've passed on them river, but I'm just dying to get wet...

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Blown out rivers...

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:50 pm

where abouts was it blown out? Boaters of course I would say plugs. Tougher if you're shore fishing.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Photobby
Petty Officer

Post by Photobby » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:00 pm

In Monroe, looks like it came up a foot or two, and it's brown... And yes... Shore fishing... I could run up to the Stilly as it's 5 min from home...

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:44 pm

WE've been waiting for the water to go up! Go now, this is the best time to fish, all the chrome coho are going to be shooting up. I watched a couple schools go up by me yesterday and I know they're up at the top. When the water gets dirty, fish bigger and stinkier.

Photobby
Petty Officer

Post by Photobby » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:24 pm

natetreat wrote:WE've been waiting for the water to go up!
I figured it would pull in more silvers (the water being up) but wasn't sure how to handle the off color...

Same for us poor shore folk?
Last edited by Photobby on Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:40 pm

Dude are you crazy? Blown out, no! Offcolor, maybe. Get out there NOW. This is the rise we have been waiting for. The Sky fished effectively from shore at MUCH higher levels. If you're worried about the turbidity just use bait, scent, or both.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

chefjake99
Warrant Officer

Post by chefjake99 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:01 am

Im with Matt and Nate here to me it is just now in shape. Before it was way too low and way too clear. I wish I could fish for the next three days because it should be lights out. I will just have to wait till saturday.
Last edited by chefjake99 on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clar

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:17 am

chefjake99 wrote:Im with Matt and Nate here to me it is just now in shape. Before it was way too low and way too clear. I wish I could fish for the next three days because it should be lights out. I will just have to wait till saturday.
agreed. Sucks, my vacation is over and back to work tomorrow. I'd be pulling plugs tomorrow happy as a clam.
Last edited by Mike Carey on Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:38 am

Matt wrote:Dude are you crazy? Blown out, no! Offcolor, maybe. Get out there NOW. This is the rise we have been waiting for.
+1

By the time you hear the good report and that the rivers dropped into perfect shape, chances are your a day or two late.....
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:37 am

I fished it today and yesterday, I did the snoho around 522 yesterday and the sky from monroe to the wallace today. I got a boatload of pinks and three chrome coho. The wallace is still super low and they only got a few coho at the hatchery, so the fish are still hanging out downstream, which is good. If you've ever fished the puyallup carbon or toutle, you'd know that fish will hit a lure with less than two inches of vis. The two or three feet that the sky is right now is perfect. Throw some sand shrimp stink on your yarn, size 10 corky in rainbow chartreuse with matching yarn. That's what I start with, although I did get one on a blue fox too. That's like hooking into a freight train!

Photobby
Petty Officer

Post by Photobby » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:56 pm

@natetreat were you in a boat from Wallace to Monroe, or hopping from hole to hole via car? Totally should have drifted eggs instead of spooning...

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 5:22 pm

I don't have a boat. I'm a bankie.

Photobby
Petty Officer

Post by Photobby » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:57 pm

natetreat wrote:I don't have a boat. I'm a bankie.
Then there is hope for me! (I've never gone after Coho, first year for that)

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:58 pm

It doesnt sound like its blown out. But when water does get high I use more weight and keep it closer to the bank. The fish will ride the slower water up the river. If its clouded up remember they can see 20 times better then us. 2 inches of vis still equal 40 inches of vis to a fish. You can shorten up leaders and add more stink to add to the appeal.
More fish please!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:49 am

flinginpooh wrote:It doesnt sound like its blown out. But when water does get high I use more weight and keep it closer to the bank. The fish will ride the slower water up the river. If its clouded up remember they can see 20 times better then us. 2 inches of vis still equal 40 inches of vis to a fish. You can shorten up leaders and add more stink to add to the appeal.

oh man, I love the Sky hole down stream from the Sultan launch, I believe it's past a spot called the Toilet Bowl. It's above Ben Howard a ways. Anyway, it's a beautiful stretch of rock cliff on the south shore about 40 yards long, with slow current/back eddy. Toss a dick nite or a small spinner with 3 ft leader to a slinky and just slow retrieve - BAMM! the silvers will sit right up against those rocks. Dang, I need to be sick tomorrow.
Last edited by Mike Carey on Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:42 am

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but did they ever find that guy that launched in Monroe to meet his friends downstream at the park? He never showed up at the meeting place on the river and they did a search for him. I remember that the river was real high at that time.
Last edited by Marc Martyn on Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

SculpinKing
Petty Officer

Post by SculpinKing » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:03 am

Marc, yes they did. I only know because someone asked the same question in another thread I read a while back and it was answered with a link. I can't find it now, unfortunately, but I'm almost certain it was the same guy.

You guys should all go fishing. I'm stuck in a hotel room in Mexico City and I'm pretty sure there are no fish within a mile of me. I'd rather be out catching Coho. I would more likely be losing tons of lures and catching nothing, but since it's not going to happen I'll think optimistically.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:23 pm

Marc - yeah late August. They found his boat 1st - then found him about 1/4 mile downstream.

SculpinKing - There are fish in Mexico City, but none I would eat (or fish for)! Check out Xochimilco or the park across the street from the Museum of Anthropology and History.
If you have means and time to get out of the city we took a bus from Mexico City out to where the Monarch Butterflies spend the winter, afterwards we went to a town called Valle De Bravo which is on a huge lake called Lago Avandaro - it is a really beautifull place and I really hope to get back to fish it one of these trips. There are also u-fish trout places in the mountains around La Marqueza, may be wild fish around there too, I don't know.

We now return this thread back to the original subject...
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Photobby
Petty Officer

Post by Photobby » Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:38 pm

Mike Carey wrote: oh man, I love the Sky hole down stream from the Sultan launch, I believe it's past a spot called the Toilet Bowl. It's above Ben Howard a ways. Anyway, it's a beautiful stretch of rock cliff on the south shore about 40 yards long, with slow current/back eddy. Toss a dick nite or a small spinner with 3 ft leader to a slinky and just slow retrieve - BAMM! the silvers will sit right up against those rocks. Dang, I need to be sick tomorrow.

Is it bank accessible?

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:16 pm

There is a TON of bank access along Ben Howard road, just go drive that road and check it out buddy. I was up on the Sky today and it is in great shape. Get out there and fish, some nice silvers to be had!

Saw a few roll that left me drooling.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."