What kind of fisherman are you?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
flinginpooh
Captain

What kind of fisherman are you?

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:08 am

I keep on reading this forum daily and tryin to see if anything good pops up. Not usually anything useful but thats ok I like the harmless banter. But I got to thinking. I see alot of people trying to give advise saying they know how to do this and know how to do that. Im not saying they dont. But Im just wondering cause after being on here for years I see who talks talk and backs it up with proof they do catch, and know how. I am realizing who talks and really dont even fish. I know some dont have time to fish but really enjoy it. Id love it if some people would sit back and ask them selfs if they really know what they are talking about before they answer or if they are the type that read it once before on a website so now they think they know what to do. I Know who catches fish when it comes to the river forum and who knows what they are talking about. Are you on that list? Do you know what your talking about? Do you catch fish on the rivers when you go out consistantly? Guided trips dont count that dont take skills. And I know even an immagrant woman with a big mouth on the puyallup that can snag a fish by the tail and keep it using 2/0 or bigger hooks barbed. Thats not skills either by the way. The guy down river from me there with his wife that only been fishing since the last pink run that sets a hook making his cheap mono scream through the air every 5 seconds and using a full ounce on the puke? thats not skills. Standing up on a cliff looking down waiting for schools of fish to come in and toss down into that school and drag them up a cliff even when the fish is snagged is not skills. Just a rant cause of the crap I see.
More fish please!

knotabassturd
Captain

RE:What kind of fisherman are you?

Post by knotabassturd » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:18 am

I don't have skills nor do I have good equipment. I do, however, try to learn a particular spot so the lower skill base I do have pays off (cuz if I blank, the fishing time goes down).
And I am totally with yuh poo on the lighter is better as far as the rig in the water as far as for my own tastes. I fish the Puke with about 1/8-1/4 ounce lead depending on tide and 1/4 ounce (jig) at Dash. I just like the feel with less weight. Feels like I can pick up more on the rod tip (even though my rod tip is more of a meat stick than a noodle rod- like I said the equipment aint stellar but it is functional).

Good luck everyone on the water.:cheers:
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:37 am

Opinions are like _______, everybody has one. We all come here because we would rather be on the water, but we can't be 100% of the time and when we aren't we want to catch fish. Catching fish is always a learning experience. There are innumerable variables into hunting our favorite slime rockets. Some do it longer than others, but everyones opinion counts for something. A lot of guys can't be on the water nearly as much as I can, but they still feel like they can catch fish. Meh, there are always newbs that come here for advice and information on new water. IF there was only one way to catch a fish, tackle companies would go out of business. I fish for the challenge. It's always different, there is always the next goal and it will never get old. It's the fish versus me, and I love it from every moment, from the hunt to the celebratory barbecue, and I want to preserve the sport for my kids and their grandkids. So I welcome everyone, and hope that the discussion will bring an appreciation and respect to our pastime that doesn't exist within every fishermen yet. IMO

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:34 am

I definately fall in the n00b catagory! Can someone give me some guidance so I too may catch a fish from the river?????

Hhheeeeeeelllllllpppppp!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:41 am

Yeah, me too.... I need some help. But come to think of it, I'm really darn good at fishing, sometimes I even catch one or two.
If it was about going out there to fill the freezer it would cease to be a pleasant diversion and become work.

Guess that's why they call it fishing, not catching.

BTW, in the work category I'd put my catch numbers up against anyone.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:34 am

As far as river fishing I know zip... nadda... nottin... and it showed the other day. First time on a river and I was half treating it like I was on the sound (dumb of me I know) I kind of want to learn it even if I don't go to the rivers that often.

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:56 am

I would say I'm a above average river fisher man . I catch fish on a regular bases. the reason I have been catching fish is from all the advice I have gotten from all of the regulars Jenns, Pooh,Nate , kzoo , curado , Matt , Chief jake and Gringo. Also from putting in alot of time on river. I don't run around telling people how to fish unless they ask me for my advice.

moto
Petty Officer

Post by moto » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:42 am

i don't know but my arm hurts from fighting kings all day yesterday
lol

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:35 pm

Thanks Hooked, I am honored to be in that list.

I am confident in my skills and knowledge as a fisherman. I know what I know, but it isn't even close to "everything". If someone asks a question on the forum, and I don't know the answer I won't respond. If I have an answer it is "IMHO" or "this is what works for me". I am always learning, and try to conquer something new to me each year (this year it is eggs (from curing em to fishing em) & pink catching techniques from a float).
There is always the fun competitive bantering with my good friends but fishing for me is not a competitive sport. I am as happy when my friends hook up as I am when I do.

As far as fishing techniques and what's "right" and what's "wrong". I read the regs and try my best to what's legal and whats not. There are techniques that are "legal" that I feel are not "moral" - I will not fish that way, and I will not advise or teach other to fish that way. If someone wants my opinion I will give it to em. But I will not hammer someone for fishing legally.

As always, the above is "IMHO"
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

dave g
Warrant Officer

Post by dave g » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:45 pm

me, i'm the kinda fisherman that likes to have fun and enjoy the relative solitude and my time outdoors, therefore i stay away from the combat fishing scene. i love salt and river fishing almost as much as i love fishing lakes and i can usually produce as well as the next guy in all three areas. what i dislike is fishing around so many people that their attitudes and antics affects my time outdoors. i try not to put myself in those situations. it's counterproductive to why i fish in the first place. when fishing a new area, i can learn from a noob what not to do, just as much as i can get pointers from the regulars in the area. we all have to start somewhere and sometime. having the right attitude is the key.
fishing may not be life, but it's a great alternative

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:52 pm

"What kind of fisherman are you?" I'm a fisherman of opportunity and impulse. I fish for multiple species. Some days I'm luckier than others. Ice fishing and fishing Westport would have to be my top 2 most consistent outings. Trout, after the water warms just a little, would be my third. I had awesome results on the Duwamish 2 years ago, who didn't, with pinks and an occasional silver. I'd like to get a few spots dialed in on a couple other rivers. God knows that I've tried. Results on rivers for me is rarely in the bragging bracket, so that's where I would like to improve.

I used to do pretty well on Puget Sound but the last few years has been a real stinkaroony for me.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

tnj8222
Admiral

Post by tnj8222 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:35 pm

I hook them in the tail and drag them in backwards.
Anthony
http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... EO0054.mp4
if everyday was a good day there would be alot more fisherman.

EAmon___hoffman123
Warrant Officer

Post by EAmon___hoffman123 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Im not a great fisherman but i get out as much as i can and catch one or. i get tips from people who are nice enough for telling me.(and looking at what people are using lol). i recently had surgrey and can't get as much as i would like. i post things and see what people think.
Fishing is cool. FOOLS

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:52 pm

tnj8222 wrote:I hook them in the tail and drag them in backwards.

:)
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Dennis316
Petty Officer

Post by Dennis316 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:22 pm

i have decent equipment but thats just because good equipment costs a few hundred bucks and lasts a long time and is usually lighter and smoother than cheaper stuff (nothing wrong with cheaper stuff either) i have hit the puyallup a couple times this year already and have had people give me advice then they dont catch or hook a single fish. i am no pro at river fishing but am getting better at drift fishing and am almost able to get consistent "bites"

only thing really going for me as a fisherman is that i am one persistent bastard. last year i went to the humptulips at 7am and fished there and under the 101 bridge up until 4pm without a single fish on (all the while seeing and watching other guys slaying them). it poured rain the WHOLE DAY and i mean the whole damn day. i tried both sides of the river in many different spots then left back south to aberdeen...when i got past aberdeen on the way to olympia i turned my ass around and fished til it got pitch black then fished some more with a flash light...finally went home empty handed at 9pm, got home past 11 soaking wet with no fish...dont regret the trip for a second...oh, and i didnt have a single bite of food the whole day because eating was a waste of time when fishing :alien:
Last edited by Dennis316 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moto
Petty Officer

Post by moto » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:43 pm

tnj8222 wrote:I hook them in the tail and drag them in backwards.

lol at least you hook them :thumleft:

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Stirrin it up, I caught a pink once

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:12 pm

Brian253 wrote:Stirrin it up, I caught a pink once
lol Yeah I was a lil bitter when I posted this so yeah guess I was lol.
More fish please!

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:11 pm

flinginpooh wrote:
Brian253 wrote:Stirrin it up, I caught a pink once
lol Yeah I was a lil bitter when I posted this so yeah guess I was lol.

Hahahaha, livin' up to yer screen name. :bounce:

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:49 am

LOL @nate. I have seen a few posts from a couple of people lately who are giving advice and they really shouldn't be because they have no clue what they are talking about. Anybody new that has questions or wants advice look for the guys that post alot of pics and have alot of posts.