Small Inflatable Boat for Pink Salmon Fishing?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
gavran8
Petty Officer

Small Inflatable Boat for Pink Salmon Fishing?

Post by gavran8 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:34 pm

I recently bought a small, but tough, 3 person inflatable boat and was looking to take it Pink Salmon fishing with my girlfriend. I have a lot of experience with white water kayaking with a plastic kayak, but have not tried out an inflatable boat. I live in Seattle. How would the Snohomish be for a small boat like this? Any other rivers you can recommend for this? What part of the Snohomish can I easily put the boat into the water and not run right into lines cast from shore? Any other advice that can be offered to me?

Thanks in advance for the help.
gavran8

Gringo Pescador

RE:Small Inflatable Boat for Pink Salmon Fishing?

Post by Gringo Pescador » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:55 pm

Others can be more help than me I am sure, but last humpy run I considered putting my wide-bottom canoe out in the lower Snohomish for pinks. IMO it is not the river you have to worry about, or even getting too close to bankies. It is the other boat's wake.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Boat wake, and unsafe boater would be the worry. You can launch at Langus Park, Rotary Park, or Downtown Snohomish and you will be just fine in your raft.

Lots of canoes, rafts, and kayaks out there. Lower river has very little, if any current. During tide swings it becomes completely stagnant.

Good luck.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Today you would have been taking your life in your hands.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

EAmon___hoffman123
Warrant Officer

Post by EAmon___hoffman123 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:54 pm

Yea today there were alot of rule breakers on boats, in front of langus people were zooming bye. mabye they dident see the no wake sighns. :-"
Fishing is cool. FOOLS

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:17 am

Stick to the shore. I'm not sure what model you got but pink season brings out some antics and less than ideal boating and water behavior. There's plenty of good bank access if you know where to look and like everyone has echoed, your experience doesn't matter. You are at the mercy of every other boater and the river itself.
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:13 am

I have a bigger raft, it's the four man fishing seahawk. But I've taken it on riffe lake in the middle of the summer when ski boats are zooming circles around me. Wakes are no biggy for rafts, they bend with the waves. When they get ocean sized you can get splashed but it's not a big deal. The problem is wind with rafts. Currents can be a problem if they're super swift, but small currents are no problem. They don't have much area actually under the water, so it really just means that the water moves around them. Their light weight and bulky upper area makes them get blown around like crazy with the wind. But if you're content to not get anywhere fast, a raft shouldn't be any problem in the lower river.

The upper river and the sky, don't even try it. That can be some tricky water. The snoq, no problem below the falls. It's frog water.

When people are jerks, yell at 'em, and bring rocks to throw at 'em :P J/K

Watch out for hooks in the boat and bring an anchor.

EAmon___hoffman123
Warrant Officer

Post by EAmon___hoffman123 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Hahaha,Yesterday people were chucking rocks at some uncareful folk's on boats:-"
Fishing is cool. FOOLS

gavran8
Petty Officer

Post by gavran8 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:53 am

Thanks for the help guys!

-gavran8

curado
Admiral

Post by curado » Tue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 am

you could do it on the snohomish but i would say just used it to get on the opposite shore of thomas's eddy
If it looks fishy, Then fish it, If it dont look fishy, fish it anyways. <')}}}}><

Team Fish Whore
Twisted Steel Guide Service
EGG GURU

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:25 am

curado wrote:you could do it on the snohomish but i would say just used it to get on the opposite shore of thomas's eddy
yup!

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Bass Woody
Petty Officer

Post by Bass Woody » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:46 pm

I'm using water wings! go for it.
LIP RIPPER

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:41 pm

The guys on the other side of tom eddy are pretty close. I think they all pay to get there. They seem to be pretty jerkish towards the anglers on the other side. I'd be careful paddling over to the other side because they'd probably be angry and yell at you. Pink season puts a lot of jerks out there. Even though it's a great spot to fish.