Alder lake

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Alder lake

Post by midnghtshdow » Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:18 pm

Hey guys, I am heading to alder tomorrow for the first time ever. I will be fishing for smalls or largess. I was wondering if you guys have any helpful info on getting bit. I have fished Riffe slot but never knew about alder. Well any info is appreciated.
Wherever there is water there must be a fish!

rjn cajun
Captain

RE:Alder lake

Post by rjn cajun » Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:22 pm

I`m no help for the lake but if you search alder in the reports I think it will give you a good idea as what to start with and key in on.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:56 am

Wow, wish I could help. I have fished Alder quite a lot the last couple of years. Never do real well. Let me try.

When you put in at the town of Alder, I catch all my fish in that general area of the lake. I am not saying that there are no fish out in the main channel, but I never catch them. There is a sunken forest out there, when the water is up, that I have fished a number of times and have never had a bite nor have I seen a fish.

From the launch, left (east), immediately there is an island. Just on the other side of it there is a bay that holds some fish. From there and that dock east is pretty good for a ways.

There is another small island a 1/4 or 1/2 mile or so to the east. On the south side of that I have caught a few fish. There is a flat off that south side and then it drops off, somewhat. I caught one there (smallie) and seen a couple, last weekend, in about 10 to 12 feet of water. Good place to be at first light with a reaction bait, from the shoreline out to 10 or 12 feet deep.

If you keep heading east, all the way up in those bays, there is some decent fishing around the stumps. There are many more stumps than what you can see. If you see a stump sticking up then there is probably a couple more around that you cannot see. Too me, those are the stumps that produce. The largemouth in there will spawn on top of those stumps. I did get one on a top water last week on a stump I know they were spawning on, but the other stumps I knew about did not show any fish, so, they must be about done spawning, for the most part, but, last year, I was seeing fry in late august, still, so...

From the bays back to the south, the shoreline will turn to the west, again. A lot of that is decent. There are some stumps and grassy shorelines that you may see some cruiser largemouth in. If you see 'em, doubt you'll catch them.

Up the little Nisqually, fished there once and my wife got a nice smallie up in there off a steep bank with a crankbait. Crankbaits seem as good as anything in this lake but I always get bored fishing them and, usually, end up with a senko on, usually watermelon/cream, wacky rigged.

I may very well be there with my wifey. If you see an aluminum Bass Tracker it will probably be me.

Good Luck to you!

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:12 am

arniejl you were the one I was going to mention with experience on the lake but I didn`t want to throw you out there like that. I`m sure you wouldn`t mind but still.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:21 am

rjn cajun wrote:arniejl you were the one I was going to mention with experience on the lake but I didn`t want to throw you out there like that. I`m sure you wouldn`t mind but still.
That's fine. I have endured my struggles on that lake. I am getting better at it. This year I have had two 5 fish days, and a 2 or 3 fish day. The biggest problem in this lake is that you may see 20 fish in the 2-5 pound range but it seems that I can only catch the 1-1 1/2 pounders.

I truly like this lake, a lot. It has a lot to offer, like nice fat football shaped largemouth. I just need to figure out how to catch them.

Also, I don't mind sharing info on a lake of this size and nature, now if it were another lake that somebody may have a post on, well, I would probably just p.m. the guy if I have any info:-# .

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:26 am

arniejl wrote:
rjn cajun wrote:arniejl you were the one I was going to mention with experience on the lake but I didn`t want to throw you out there like that. I`m sure you wouldn`t mind but still.
That's fine. I have endured my struggles on that lake. I am getting better at it. This year I have had two 5 fish days, and a 2 or 3 fish day. The biggest problem in this lake is that you may see 20 fish in the 2-5 pound range but it seems that I can only catch the 1-1 1/2 pounders.

I truly like this lake, a lot. It has a lot to offer, like nice fat football shaped largemouth. I just need to figure out how to catch them.

Also, I don't mind sharing info on a lake of this size and nature, now if it were another lake that somebody may have a post on, well, I would probably just p.m. the guy if I have any info:-# .

Man awesome info! I will give that a try. And try some other spots. For your grace if you ever need info for silver lake or riffe pm me and I will get ya back.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:06 pm

shouldnt be hard to go out and pick up a limit of Kok's !!!

i know... i know they arnt brown or green buttttt man theyre tasty
<shrugs> just say'n...ya going to run all the way out there
spend time/gas/money....DOG

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:09 pm

Well we caught 3. 2 large mouth one small mouth. It was not bad. Ah I bet if the lake was lower it would be a little better. I think I saw you and your wife fishing in a cove.

arniejl
Warrant Officer

Post by arniejl » Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:50 pm

midnghtshdow wrote:Well we caught 3. 2 large mouth one small mouth. It was not bad. Ah I bet if the lake was lower it would be a little better. I think I saw you and your wife fishing in a cove.
Good job! We got skunked. Lost one smaller lmb. The lake was up about 3', I am thinking, from last week. I did not call the number but checking it out at the dock and a lot of the stumps that I use for reference points were under water.

And yes, we spent most our time in the far cove with the sunken road in it. There were fish all over in there and even though we can not get them to bite, once we see them, it is hard to leave them.

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:57 am

Sunken road is that where I went in and it looked like a mini dam with a culvert with water trickling out of it? We went every where saw some pigs roaming. Where is the rivers at? I saw the one at the shallow end by the town. But could not find the others.

rl206
Commander

Post by rl206 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 am

I've heard stories about Alder so I drove by on my way home last week, that lake looks awesome, its crazy how blue the water is, just like google maps haha
Last edited by rl206 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:33 am

Is there a river that feeds it? Every I`ve driven by there it looks to be high as there is logs and debris floating. Shouldn`t it be down instead of up? All the water sources are on the way down?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:35 am

Been many years since I was on it. My brother fished it alot. There is a dam and such. I forget where he did most of his fishing. Yes there seems to lots of floating logs and such all the time.
Tom.

Interests: living

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:12 pm

rjn cajun wrote:Is there a river that feeds it? Every I`ve driven by there it looks to be high as there is logs and debris floating. Shouldn`t it be down instead of up? All the water sources are on the way down?

The Nisqually flows in near Elbe. This has been an odd weather year and earlier in the season Alder was a few feet below full but there was plenty of snow up in the hills. I usually see the levels come down in the fall when they are bracing for flood control. The Nisqually always seems to have a pretty steady flow all year.

Another good spot for smallies is Rocky Point. It has a quick dropoff and if the water
level is decent,it seems the fish will stay in that area for as long as possible. Now Alder Lake largemouth? Not a clue....

midnghtshdow
Petty Officer

Post by midnghtshdow » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:40 am

Haha ya your right I am bass akwards lol You guys are awesome help. Where is rocky point? And what do ya usually catch the smalls on? I caught mine on a brown crank bait. Saw that there was bull heads in there so I threw at.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:47 pm

anyone catch'n any Kok's while theyre out there ??

heard theyre nice sized this year
and a limit of 10 !!?!?!

just say'n