Summer Run MetalHeads

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kzoo
Commodore

RE:Summer Run MetalHeads

Post by kzoo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:19 pm

jens wrote:Way to go Kzoo! Summers are definitely on the thin side, but good lord they can fight. I love how aerobatic these fish are, but man every time they leap I hold my breath.

My heart hurts with all the fish I have been losing lately. Gear failure is driving me crazy.

What jig heads are you guys using?
What's up with your jigs? I buy from this guy online, he uses 2x owner hooks. Quality jigs, the vinyl painted heads last a long time.

http://bradsjigs.com/
Last edited by kzoo on Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:36 pm

kzoo wrote:
jens wrote:Way to go Kzoo! Summers are definitely on the thin side, but good lord they can fight. I love how aerobatic these fish are, but man every time they leap I hold my breath.

My heart hurts with all the fish I have been losing lately. Gear failure is driving me crazy.

What's up with your jigs? I buy from this guy online, he uses 2x owner hooks. Quality jigs, the vinyl painted heads last a long time.

The only logical reason I can think of is ever since I started tying them I needed some jigheads. So I went thru my pile of old jigs and cut off all the material and re-tied them. So, I am sure in that pile, there were quite a few that have been used by me before. A good percentage of those said jigs have probably been freed from a snag and had been opened up before. I have never had an issue with them - EVER- until now.

I've been using RVRFSHR jig heads, but so far only 1 head has had failure, and of course just recently. Pretty frustrating. I am not a fan of store bought jigs. The only ones I have used before, the guy stopped producing them.
"One more......."

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:41 pm

jens wrote:
kzoo wrote:

The only logical reason I can think of is ever since I started tying them I needed some jigheads. So I went thru my pile of old jigs and cut off all the material and re-tied them. So, I am sure in that pile, there were quite a few that have been used by me before. A good percentage of those said jigs have probably been freed from a snag and had been opened up before. I have never had an issue with them - EVER- until now.

I've been using RVRFSHR jig heads, but so far only 1 head has had failure, and of course just recently. Pretty frustrating. I am not a fan of store bought jigs. The only ones I have used before, the guy stopped producing them.

Check out bradsjigs, he sells painted jig heads if you want to tie your own.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:07 pm

Hey jensen if you'd like I have been pouring my jigheads on gamakatsu hooks, and I just bought a new mold to pour your favorite size head for these summer fish ;) let me know I'm sure it will be cheaper than buying pre poured its only 7 bones for a 25 pack hooks, and I just melt lead I pull off snags

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:26 pm

Brian253 wrote:Hey jensen if you'd like I have been pouring my jigheads on gamakatsu hooks, and I just bought a new mold to pour your favorite size head for these summer fish ;) let me know I'm sure it will be cheaper than buying pre poured its only 7 bones for a 25 pack hooks, and I just melt lead I pull off snags
Did you feel that? I just sent you a cyber hug. So YES!!
"One more......."

Steelheadman12
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheadman12 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:31 pm

In my shop we have gotten alot of complaints about rivrfishr heads. They break at the bend or at the head. I just tie with gamakatsu heads. Relatively cheap and good heads to boot. Actually just pegged a solid fish on thursday and a hand tied special, about 10lbs.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:25 am

Went 1/3 today, lost two real pigs, one on a mess of line[cursing] Image quick pic and back he went
Last edited by Brian253 on Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:37 pm

If Im not mistaken thats not summer steel. lol Nice catch.
More fish please!

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:17 pm

Look again pooh, its a state record summer run. Ha I know but we don't have just a general pix thread for all river fish.. We need one!

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:21 pm

Yeah pooh it's a State record. Gosh. But back to jig heads, I am still on the fence on the Rvrfshr Jig heads especially after a fish broke one on me. I am doing some research on which hooks to use.
"One more......."

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:13 pm

I bought some off ebay that a guy pours lead on gammmies and also some on matzuo sicle hooks. They both are great hooks to wrap your jigs on and both really sharp. However I never give jigs a chance before I get bored with them. The gammies are really the best way to go whenever ya can afford the cost of them. I just bought some Danielson hooks for the kings. They was on close out nearly 10 bucks off per 50. They are sharp really sharp. Not sure if they will be strong yet but Ill figure that one soon enough. 200 hooks for around 7 bucks. Hopefully my cheap ways will do me ok with this buy.
More fish please!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:09 pm

I definitely don't skimp on hooks at all. Owners, or Gama, and if I am fishing big hooks I like the Matzuo sickles. When it comes down to it hooks are really one of the smallest expenses in my fishing arsenal so I don't see a reason to not go with what I know works.

I think since the Rvrfshr company changed hands things have gone a little south for them. Seems to me their hooks are only good about every third batch. Those brittle ones that you describe have been pretty common of late, Jens. Unfortunately.
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Steelheadman12
Petty Officer

Post by Steelheadman12 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:36 am

Just saying Jens, stay away from the Rivrfishr. Hawkens industries sells the same jig heads they tie Aero Jigs on, they are decent. Granted they are already painted. If you want unpainted again Gami's are the most reliable I have found.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:49 pm

Went to my favorite watering hole, Happy Hour. Ordered a double. Would have had a triple, but the sun was in my eyes so when the fish pulled my float under, I couldn't see. When I did finally realize I had a fish, it was too late and couldn't get a decent hook set. Oh well. Thinking outside of the box, got my 2nd fish. Oh, my first fish, was on the my first cast. :)
Attachments
july_26th_2011_water_shot.jpg
july_26th_2011_water_shot.jpg (71.57 KiB) Viewed 1612 times
july_26th_2011_2nd_fish.jpg
july_26th_2011_2nd_fish.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
July_26th_2011_first_cast.jpg
July_26th_2011_first_cast.jpg (118.07 KiB) Viewed 1615 times
Last edited by jens on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:55 pm

THinking outside the box can have high rewards! Sounds like no problem with the jigs this time out.

Brian253

Post by Brian253 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:30 pm

Man jens that last pic is sweet.. Glad to see someone on this site get out and catch fish!! Lol

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm

Steelheadman12 wrote:Just saying Jens, stay away from the Rivrfishr. Hawkens industries sells the same jig heads they tie Aero Jigs on, they are decent. Granted they are already painted. If you want unpainted again Gami's are the most reliable I have found.
Thanks for the input, but I won't stay away from Rvrfshr no way, he puts out incredible Spoons, but the jig heads, I probably will.
"One more......."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:21 pm

The 1st cast fish - haven't had mine yet......yet.
Nice job Jens!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:53 am

Jens I like the angle of the third pic. I have missed so many Steel this year due to my own mistakes but I finally got the jinx off of me and landed one !!!!
Attachments
1st_steel.jpg
1st_steel.jpg (6.76 KiB) Viewed 1586 times

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:16 am

Hookedonfishing, you got your mojo back!