Fall Bass Fishing Tactics

An area to discuss your Bassin' adventures.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Nik
Lieutenant

RE:Fall Bass Fishing Tactics

Post by Nik » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 pm

Bass are structure oriented fish, especially largemouth, whereas trout are schooling open water fish. So unless you're fishing some kind of offshore structure in the middle of the lake, you might as well be throwing an empty hook in the water, because the chances of you finding a largemouth out swimming around in 80 feet of water is pretty much zero.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Well supposing you dont have a fish finder...How would I know if there is structure in the middle of the lake or not? There could be all kinds of stumps and down trees. Thats what im getting at, you see my point?
If in doubt set the hook!

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:10 pm

well if you were a good fisherman then you would be able to tell what is under the water without a fish finder, the best fisherman are the psychic ones.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:16 pm

Is that so? Are u a psychic fisherman??? I've never met one of those kind of people before. It would be really cool to meet someone who knows how exactly where the fish are and how big they are, maybe even what they feel like eating at the time too. LoL if Only!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 3:25 pm

I wish I was psychic! that would be sweet I would catch bass left and right..

Nik
Lieutenant

Post by Nik » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:11 pm

If you don't have a fish finder I would recommend not bass fishing in the middle of the lake.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:14 pm

Thx Nik, I wont waste my time fishing the middle anymore. I need to go buy a fishfinder. Anyone have a special brand that they recommend would work best, that isnt too spendy?

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:22 pm

You don't need to be a psychic, you just need to do your homework before you go. Research & study the topo maps available on this site and others and pay attention to the fish reports. How was the lake formed? Is it man-made, glacial, or stream-fed? I even know a few guys back home who would actually swim/dive a lake to find the best structure.

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:26 pm

Lacamas is such a muddy lake that it almost wouldn't do you any good to dive into the lake looking for structure. You could maybe see 2 feet in front of you and thats it.

cavdad45
Commodore

Post by cavdad45 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:26 pm

the1fishingpro wrote:Ok Cavdad45, I'll Try to see if I can hit the lake with a boat in search of some spots. What would you say is Round Lakes Advantages compared to the Main Lake? What provide with Larger fish?

I have always wondered if fishing the middle of a lake for bass is a good idea, But I havent heard anyone say anything on it. It seems great for trout, but for bass? What would you say about that? Would you say that the biggest bass stay closer to the bottom or top of the water?
Round Lake's biggest advantage (and disadvantage) is its size. Compared to Lacamas it warms up sooner in the spring. Its disadvantage is that the majority of the lake receives a ton of fishing pressure because it is so easy to fish on foot.

My biggest fish from Round was shy of four-pounds. I have caught several over five from Lacamas with a few over six.

I prefer the diverse cover and structure that Lacamas has over Round. I generally will fish Lacamas from my boat and hike around Round Lake if by foot. Personally Lacamas is more fun for me. And way more productive!

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:21 am

FishingPro you may want to look into the Eagle Cuda 168 (~$70). It has gotten pretty good reviews from most of the sites I have searched. I'm hoping to get one for the holidays.

As for testing hook sharpness... all hooks are gonna seem sharp against your skin; the test is to see if it'll stick to the underside of your fingernail. Not all hooks require sharpening before use, but it is still a good idea to keep tabs on their sharpness as you use 'em.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:26 am

Thx for the tip EastsideRedneck, I'll keep that in mind. Im glad you are still able to talk to me, I mean your one of the decent fisherman on this site beside Cavdad45, Lyndon, and fisherman_max that can Forgive and Forget. Means a lot thx

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:29 am

fishingpro,
If you are shore bound and you want to find structure, here is what we used to do.
Take a few old spark plugs and put them in your box. When you get to the lake tye one on to the diode and bend it over. Now cast it out, as you bring it back in if there is any structure you will feel it. We used to call this a poor mans depth finder. You can do the same thing with a large weight.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:46 pm

WoW, thats a great idea!! That might help a lot. Thx for the tip, im definitely going to try that out next time. :cheers:

Hal
Warrant Officer

Post by Hal » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:14 pm

Heck put a hook on that sparkplug and youll probly land a Bass or trout!
I am the mayor of ball cap land BOW to me ...

Lyndon
Petty Officer

Post by Lyndon » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 pm

wow that tip on the spark plug thang is really helpful thanks a lot I can't beleive that I havn't thought of that..

leahcim_dahc
Commander

Post by leahcim_dahc » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:00 am

the1fishingpro-

Have you seen those depth/fish finders the can be used from shore. Don't know whether they are worth a hoot or not...may be a bigger PITA than what they are worth. I just saw them tonight and thought they were kind of interesting.

http://www.humminbird.com/productLines_wide.asp?id=610

Chad
Chad

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves. - Abraham Lincoln, 1809-1865

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:11 am

Holy Cow! I cant believe it! I have always dreamed of such items but never in my life did I think it was possible. Maybe sometime in the near future, I will purchase one of these items and give it a go. Thx a lot Chad, your a great friend!

CK14
Lieutenant

Post by CK14 » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:11 pm

i have one of those and i don't really like it. it's good for depth and that's about it. i'd stick with the spark plug.