Summer Run MetalHeads

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Summer Run MetalHeads

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:31 pm

Edit; Changing it to pretty much the same as the Winter Steel Thread.
Jus dont get this one locked !
Last edited by Fish_Bait111397 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

bassinassasin
Angler

RE:Summer Run MetalHeads

Post by bassinassasin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:24 pm

Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Before I go back to Arizona in a month, i want to "check" steelhead off the list of fish I have caught.
Any body know any rivers on the OP that will be good for summer runs here shortly?
If not, ill just go to the Cowlitz.
Thanks !
Uhh, the Cow is always a good bet but if it were me id head to Wynoochie, the Sky(around or in the wallace, or reiter if it opens in time...), the Lewis, the Humptulips, or the Wind and Klickitat rivers. Any of the OP usual rivers will be great, i dont know where you live or if your limited to the bank... but you can PM me if you have any Q's. And the Steelhead is the most important check on any washington state anglers list, they are incredible fish!
C&R those big berthas, or I WILL FIND YOU!
-BassinAssasin

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:32 pm

bassinassasin wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:Before I go back to Arizona in a month, i want to "check" steelhead off the list of fish I have caught.
Any body know any rivers on the OP that will be good for summer runs here shortly?
Thanks !
Uhh, the Cow is always a good bet but if it were me id head to Wynoochie, the Sky(around or in the wallace, or reiter if it opens in time...), the Lewis, the Humptulips, or the Wind and Klickitat rivers. Any of the OP usual rivers will be great, i dont know where you live or if your limited to the bank... but you can PM me if you have any Q's. And the Steelhead is the most important check on any washington state anglers list, they are incredible fish!
Where on the Wynoochie would you recommend?
"One more......."

bassinassasin
Angler

Post by bassinassasin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:00 pm

jens wrote:
bassinassasin wrote:
Thanks !
Where on the Wynoochie would you recommend?
I love the Nooch. It pretty much dries up into a trickle in the summer months. Personally I like to head to the 7400 bridge and start around there. Ill head up from there using forest access roads/ hiking and ill usually go up to the big creek mouth. The mouth of save creek can be really good. From 7400 access/bridge up the river is a canyon and can be kinda dangerous to access spots. Look for riffles(low water), pools, tailouts, and nice walking-jogging paced runs(early morning/cloudy days).

Stealth is key! I like micro jigs(light florocarbon leaders), silver(early morning/cloudy days) or flat black(anytime else) Pentac or RVRFSHR spoons in 2/5 ounce, blue fox spinners (same as spoons).

The fish are usually in thick by june with june being the most productive month. Dont plan on drifting the river in a aluminum drift boat unless youve got some big cahones and the river flow is above 700. The nooch is one of the few rivers ive caught limits of summer runs from the bank and it is a darn fun river to fish.
C&R those big berthas, or I WILL FIND YOU!
-BassinAssasin

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:22 pm

The Wynoochie is a hot river to fish.Always has been. The Wynoochee,the Chehalis, The Willapa. All good rivers.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Picked up this beauty this morning.. the leaping ability of a Summer Run is breath taking that will make any angler a tad bit nervous with their arial display.. she jumped well over 5 times trying to spit my jig..
Attachments
2011_Notellum_Summer.jpg
2011_Notellum_Summer.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 2393 times
"One more......."

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:21 pm

....and so it begins.

Nice work Jens!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Hopefully this thread goes half as well as the winter steel thread..... [lol] [lol]
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:57 am

Matt wrote:Hopefully this thread goes half as well as the winter steel thread..... [lol] [lol]
probably not :-"
nice fish jens! :)
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:03 am

Hit the Sky for the 1st time since it opened. Fun day! Went 2 for 6. Brought to hand were a 10# native winter (released) and a little 6# summer hen to take home for dinner. 5 of the 6 were caught on jigs that I tied myself. Got my 1st steelhead hit on a spoon (came unbuttoned). And got spooled by a monster that took me into the rapids. Good way to start the summer run!
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:31 am

Did you see the fish that took off on you? Likely a springer :)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 am

Gringo Pescador wrote:Hit the Sky for the 1st time since it opened. Fun day! Went 2 for 6. Brought to hand were a 10# native winter (released) and a little 6# summer hen to take home for dinner. 5 of the 6 were caught on jigs that I tied myself. Got my 1st steelhead hit on a spoon (came unbuttoned). And got spooled by a monster that took me into the rapids. Good way to start the summer run!
Where were you fishing at? I've missed 'em both times I've been out.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:31 pm

Matt wrote:Did you see the fish that took off on you? Likely a springer :)
Could have been. All I saw was a flash of white when he rolled, bobber went down, took off across the river, slowed, rolled, then blasted downstream into the rapids. I only had an 8# leader. Tried running downstream to see if I could get him turned before it was too late but the river level was too high (runnning through water over the bank - not so easy) so it was a futile attempt at best. I finally just thumbed the spool and broke it off. If I am going to lose a fish, that is the way I want to do it:bball: Not at the net (like I did with another one):-({|=
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jun 13, 2011 1:33 pm

Or worse yet let him ACTUALLY spool you and take all your line off. haha

Hate putting the thumbs to a fish. Bawk Bawk knows how to do that really well. :-&

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:41 pm

This is kind of a gamble Gringo, but when you have a fish run away like that, open your bail. Hopefully the fish will think it's not hooked and begin to relax.. I've done this before with a pig Silver, but after watching all my line spool off, I decided to tightent the drag and pray..the fish won.
"One more......."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:56 pm

jens wrote:This is kind of a gamble Gringo, but when you have a fish run away like that, open your bail. Hopefully the fish will think it's not hooked and begin to relax.. I've done this before with a pig Silver, but after watching all my line spool off, I decided to tightent the drag and pray..the fish won.
Interesting idea, the problem is having the wits about me to actually think of it in time to do it! I will keep it in mind for next time though. I am a bit of a gambler after all[thumbup]
Last edited by Gringo Pescador on Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bawk Bawk
Petty Officer

Post by Bawk Bawk » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:14 am

What color jigs are you guys throwing? Thumb to the spool has ruined my day a few times, thanks Matt.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:24 am

Not my fault you were born with 10 thumbs.

[lol]
Last edited by Matt on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:01 pm

Bawk Bawk wrote:What color jigs are you guys throwing? Thumb to the spool has ruined my day a few times, thanks Matt.
Any color as long as it is pink :thumright

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:02 pm

Spent a few hours today on the sky around the wallace up to high bridge with my buddy, he was swinging flies while i threw everything else pretty much, i hate one little take on a spoon and that was it for us, heard of one native steelhead and saw a trout caught but that was all, river is still a little high but color is fine
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."