Carp fishing in the us?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Carp fishing in the us?

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:I have been amazed at this thread. First, the premise that trout are so easy to catch. I suppose that if you catch hatchery fish at the dump point, that would be true. But then again, fish for carp in an area with lots of carp and they are just as easy if not more so.

Second, I am also amazed at the concept that the bait is so "special". Carp will eat anything they can get in their mouths. I have caught carp on lakes with a fly rod, while they were eating black ants or Cicadas. It was not as hard as fishing for the trout. Carp did not care if the fly drug or was not the right size. I have tossed cotton balls tied on hooks when they were scooping cotton wood cotton from the surface. Worms? Yes!. Corn, absolutely. In Europe, they chum with maggots and corn to get the carp to come to them. In Washington, that will land you a ticket.

Third, if carp are so great eating, then why is it that I cannot get my Polish, Russian, or Asian friends to take some of my bow caught carp. Taste like Talipia? Like heck they do. Talipia have no taste; that is why chiefs like them, they add whatever flavor they want. Carp have a distinct flavor. It is not bad if you know how to clean the fish, and if it is taken from clean water, but it is not like Talipia and it is not to my liking.

Forth, the concept that carp are hard fighting is, well, beyond me. Yes, a 10 pound carp fights harder then a 1 pound trout. But then again, a 10 pound tire fights harder then a 1 pound trout. Still, tie a three pound SMB to 3 pound carp and the carp is dead meat. Nevertheless, the fact that carp get so big, and are so "plentiful", does bode well for someone that does not want to work at catching fish and just wants to sit back, drink beer, and call if fishing. Big Whoop!

So, if I catch any of you being bucket biologist with carp, I will NOT call the authorities. No sir, I WILL call my friends and let them take care of you. I assure you, better turn yourselves in before my friends get to you! Carp can destroy a water system by eating all of the vegetation, rooting up the bottom, destroying native fisheries bio-systems, and overall messing with balances. They may be fine in foreign waters where they evolved, but they are NOT fine in America.

Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you - catch all you can, keep all you catch. If you think that you should spread carp to your favorite water, then see above first.
Dude. Why you gotta be so angry? Nobody is a bucket biologist with carp. The only bucket biology involved with carp is when moms don't want to take care of their kids goldfish anymore and dump 'em into the lake. Not from fishermen. Carp are planted by WDFW and other agencies in lakes with a millfoil problem or something like that.

Carp are fun to catch, and are tough fighters and can taste great. They're cool looking, and very sporting. I'm a fishermen, and I'll fish for everything. You should be grateful that there are fishermen like us who take the carp out that are overrunning your favorite fishing grounds, not defensive and antagonistic.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:53 pm

natetreat wrote:Dude. Why you gotta be so angry? Nobody is a bucket biologist with carp. The only bucket biology involved with carp is when moms don't want to take care of their kids goldfish anymore and dump 'em into the lake. Not from fishermen. Carp are planted by WDFW and other agencies in lakes with a millfoil problem or something like that.

Carp are fun to catch, and are tough fighters and can taste great. They're cool looking, and very sporting. I'm a fishermen, and I'll fish for everything. You should be grateful that there are fishermen like us who take the carp out that are overrunning your favorite fishing grounds, not defensive and antagonistic.
Just to be clear, the carp that the WDFW plant to control aquatic plants are sterile grass carp. It is illegal to fish for or retain grass carp, so be sure you can tell the difference between the two species.

As for fishing for common carp, have at it and enjoy. Once the waters warm up a bit they can get fairly feisty on the end of the line. Keep in mind that they are an invasive species and that there is no size or bag limit on them.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:25 pm

G-Man wrote:
natetreat wrote:Dude. Why you gotta be so angry? Nobody is a bucket biologist with carp. The only bucket biology involved with carp is when moms don't want to take care of their kids goldfish anymore and dump 'em into the lake. Not from fishermen. Carp are planted by WDFW and other agencies in lakes with a millfoil problem or something like that.

Just to be clear, the carp that the WDFW plant to control aquatic plants are sterile grass carp. It is illegal to fish for or retain grass carp, so be sure you can tell the difference between the two species.

As for fishing for common carp, have at it and enjoy. Once the waters warm up a bit they can get fairly feisty on the end of the line. Keep in mind that they are an invasive species and that there is no size or bag limit on them.

I know that. But it's not bucket biology. Back in the day, when commercial fisheries over harvested our native fish, the department of fisheries advocated carp as a replacement for them. This is over a hundred years ago. So they shipped carp to applicants who used them for food.

As it happens, carp reproduce like rats in a cheez-it factory. They make millions of fry, most of which usually don't make it. But with the climate, and their ability to survive off of practically nothing, their biology was well suited to getting out of control. From flooding and farmers planting them years and years ago, we now have large numbers of fish, with no harvesters, no predators once they pass a certain size and can live in conditions that other fish simply can't. When rivers flood lakes, they move around.

Yea, they're an invasive species, but nobody is planting them unless as you say they are sterile grass carp to control milfoil. People have ponds with koi in them, but not carp.

Reason I'm talking about it, is anglinarcher seems to think he's better than carp fishermen and needs to be mean about it. But I'm just pointing out that fishermen like me and others that get a kick outta catching them are doing purists like him a service. They're neat fish, abundant and really cool looking. Fun to catch, and even eat. That's what this thread is about. For an interesting article about the propagation of carp in the US go here: http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/northam ... story.html

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:22 am

Let me clear up a few things.

I oversee the common carp commercial fishery in my area. Common carp are eaten especially by the Russian communities during their religious observances. Hundreds of pounds are harvested specifically for the purpose of eating them in Washington. You'll find common carp in almost all lakes. They reproduce quickly and can become very destructive to lakes.

Grass carp can only be stocked after going through a lengthy permitting process. They eat most types of vegetation and algae. They won't eat fibrous plants like lily pads. They are illegal to harvest.

The best way to tell the difference is grass carp do not have 'whiskers' while common carp do. In my almost two decades with the agency I haven't heard of common carp bucket bios but I have heard of this happening with grass carp.

My last thought is if you see anyone doing any kind of violation be a good witness it is NEVER okay to take the law into your own hands. We have Officers to take care of these issues.
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:24 am

Anglinarcher wrote:I have been amazed at this thread. First, the premise that trout are so easy to catch. I suppose that if you catch hatchery fish at the dump point, that would be true. But then again, fish for carp in an area with lots of carp and they are just as easy if not more so.

Second, I am also amazed at the concept that the bait is so "special". Carp will eat anything they can get in their mouths. I have caught carp on lakes with a fly rod, while they were eating black ants or Cicadas. It was not as hard as fishing for the trout. Carp did not care if the fly drug or was not the right size. I have tossed cotton balls tied on hooks when they were scooping cotton wood cotton from the surface. Worms? Yes!. Corn, absolutely. In Europe, they chum with maggots and corn to get the carp to come to them. In Washington, that will land you a ticket.

Third, if carp are so great eating, then why is it that I cannot get my Polish, Russian, or Asian friends to take some of my bow caught carp. Taste like Talipia? Like heck they do. Talipia have no taste; that is why chiefs like them, they add whatever flavor they want. Carp have a distinct flavor. It is not bad if you know how to clean the fish, and if it is taken from clean water, but it is not like Talipia and it is not to my liking.

Forth, the concept that carp are hard fighting is, well, beyond me. Yes, a 10 pound carp fights harder then a 1 pound trout. But then again, a 10 pound tire fights harder then a 1 pound trout. Still, tie a three pound SMB to 3 pound carp and the carp is dead meat. Nevertheless, the fact that carp get so big, and are so "plentiful", does bode well for someone that does not want to work at catching fish and just wants to sit back, drink beer, and call if fishing. Big Whoop!

So, if I catch any of you being bucket biologist with carp, I will NOT call the authorities. No sir, I WILL call my friends and let them take care of you. I assure you, better turn yourselves in before my friends get to you! Carp can destroy a water system by eating all of the vegetation, rooting up the bottom, destroying native fisheries bio-systems, and overall messing with balances. They may be fine in foreign waters where they evolved, but they are NOT fine in America.

Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you - catch all you can, keep all you catch. If you think that you should spread carp to your favorite water, then see above first.
:) Anglin, no one on here mentioned anything about spreading carp around. Save that bucket biologist comment for the folks that deserve it. Hmmmm, how do bass end up in the places that they do? Perch?? Hmmmm....:) LOL It's all good Anglin! Smile a little, have some fun, enjoy life my friend, life's too tough to take the silly stuff seriously, talking on a cell phone, smoking in a park, spitting on the sidewalk, jaywalking, cameras for traffic infractions, Irs crap, in most instances, these are just plain silly!

If you read about the chumming, please look around at all of the LOLs, Laughing Out Loud, We're just having a good natured, humorous comments, laughter does the soul some good, that's all it was, enjoy it as entertainment. LOL

I haven't drank in over 12 years nor have I EVER fished for carp. I am going to give carp fishing a whirl though since bass are soooooo easy to catch! Just treat them like a BIG pan fish, give em what they want, when they want it, and they will bite.=d>

LOL
LOL
did anyone pick up on that humorous comment, bass, easy to catch, yeah, right! LOL
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:17 am

anglinarcher wrote:
"Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you"

Anglin, this comment really doesn't belong here at all and it pisses me off, are you drunk? "go back to another country"? I was born here. I do not however want your forgiveness! You owe us an apology! You owe us an explanation of your misunderstanding! Your penance will be to catch 10 carp and say three Hail Marys! Hallelujah Brother! LOL

BassDood
Commander

Post by BassDood » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:40 am

Seems to me that carp are not a favored species by most, but in my experience, are fun to catch. I've enjoyed every one that I've caught. Invasive, native, or not...there are other species in this state that could be included in this category. I seem to recall a few episodes of In-Fisherman T.V. where they specifically targeted carp, and they were pretty excited about it. Granted, they are fishing in other waters than our state, but they are targeted for their fight. I personally don't care what another angler fishes for and considers it fun. It's fishing....pretty simple. Go have fun.
http://s783.photobucket.com/albums/yy11 ... =slideshow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:16 am

MarkFromSea wrote:

:) Anglin, no one on here mentioned anything about spreading carp around. Save that bucket biologist comment for the folks that deserve it. Hmmmm, how do bass end up in the places that they do? Perch?? Hmmmm....:) LOL It's all good Anglin! Smile a little, have some fun, enjoy life my friend, life's too tough to take the silly stuff seriously, talking on a cell phone, smoking in a park, spitting on the sidewalk, jaywalking, cameras for traffic infractions, Irs crap, in most instances, these are just plain silly!

If you read about the chumming, please look around at all of the LOLs, Laughing Out Loud, We're just having a good natured, humorous comments, laughter does the soul some good, that's all it was, enjoy it as entertainment. LOL

I haven't drank in over 12 years nor have I EVER fished for carp. I am going to give carp fishing a whirl though since bass are soooooo easy to catch! Just treat them like a BIG pan fish, give em what they want, when they want it, and they will bite.=d>

LOL
LOL
did anyone pick up on that humorous comment, bass, easy to catch, yeah, right! LOL
Hahaha! If bass were easy to catch I would've caught one. I'm an awful bass fishermen. I knew there was a school of bass under the dock one day, but I couldn't get 'em to take anything. I've been out nearly ten times with no bass.

If there are salmon or steel in the river, odds are I'll hook one though. I think that there's skill sets that are particular to each species, I have one, now I need to learn another.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:18 am

MarkFromSea wrote:anglinarcher wrote:
"Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you"

Anglin, this comment really doesn't belong here at all and it pisses me off, are you drunk? "go back to another country"? I was born here. I do not however want your forgiveness! You owe us an apology! You owe us an explanation of your misunderstanding! Your penance will be to catch 10 carp and say three Hail Marys! Hallelujah Brother! LOL
I think that was the comment that set me off too. But I'll go carping just for him on monday and hopefully get some out of his hair.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:43 am

natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:

LOL
LOL
Hahaha! If bass were easy to catch I would've caught one. I'm an awful bass fishermen. I knew there was a school of bass under the dock one day, but I couldn't get 'em to take anything. I've been out nearly ten times with no bass.

If there are salmon or steel in the river, odds are I'll hook one though. I think that there's skill sets that are particular to each species, I have one, now I need to learn another.
Agreed, bass are difficult, some skill sets cross over and some don't. By reading your reports though, you've got the rivers dialed in!

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:49 am

natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:anglinarcher wrote:

I think that was the comment that set me off too. But I'll go carping just for him on monday and hopefully get some out of his hair.
I missed that part my first read of his dribble. It's down right racist and unacceptable on here. He was way out of line since no one said anything about bucket biologist puckey. What does he think he is the Almighty and has the power to forgive us of our sins? I really think he must have been hammered or something. Maybe he got a ticket from one of those cameras and was just pissed off at the world. WOW!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:56 am

i also thought that comment about go to your own country or whatever anglinarcher commented to be unwarranted and uncalled for but out of all the types of fishing I am probably best at bass fishing, I am getting better at salmon/steelheading but by no means am I good and as for carp ha, I couldnt catch them if I had a net, I tried about 20 times in the last two years on the snake river, I could see schools up them up and down the bank and read up endless hours, tried all kinds of recipes for boiles or what not and all kinds of other stratagies and as for me I would say that they are damn smart fish but thats just my .02

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:18 am

natetreat wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:

Dude. Why you gotta be so angry? Nobody is a bucket biologist with carp. The only bucket biology involved with carp is when moms don't want to take care of their kids goldfish anymore and dump 'em into the lake. Not from fishermen. Carp are planted by WDFW and other agencies in lakes with a millfoil problem or something like that.

I found his fourth point fairly funny. I did enjoy catching those bass this year. What were they, 2-3 lbs, 14-17 1/2"? A 2-3 lb trout can make long, multiple runs, only one of my bass this year made a run that was worth mentioning. So really, oz to oz, which is the stronger fish? Your gonna love this, I've long thought that if those tiny bluegills and pumpkinseeds were several pounds, that would be an awesome fighting fish! I think that a 6 oz pumpkinseed would knock out an 8 oz bass! If only those geneticists would super size the pumpkinseed we'd be in hawg heaven! LOL:joker: [thumbsup] [woot] Have a GREAT day everyone!

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:15 am

i'll agree with that ive had several large mouth bass that just shake their heads once or twice and pretty much just swim right to the boat, i would agree that the pumpkinseed would put up a dang good fight vs the bass. And while were comparing apples to oranges i would like to see how a 8 oz goldfish would do vs. a 8oz carp... if only i could figure out how to rig up goldfish food we might be able to figure this one out. jj

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:59 pm

OK all - we agree that Anglin's rant was uncalled for (hopefully he does too) - lets not let it take over the thread and instead continue on with the original conversation.:bball:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

ingihuswick@hotmail.com wrote: i would like to see how a 8 oz goldfish would do vs. a 8oz carp... if only i could figure out how to rig up goldfish food we might be able to figure this one out. jj
Depends on the goldfish - if it is one of those weird bulgy eyed ones I am sure the carp would win hands down - but the feeder goldfish can be pretty scrappy - I had turtles as a kid, fed em goldfish, one fish the turtles could never catch, so I threw it in an aquarium. That thing grew to 6", lived for many years, and would eat from my hand pretty much what ever I offered (Doritos, raw hamburger, etc.). It got ot be a game with my friends - what will the fish eat?

All this talk about Carp - who is going to post up the 1st pic??
Last edited by Gringo Pescador on Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:58 pm

I've never had ANY bass straighten a hook out on my Rapala DT-4, I did have a carp do that. You're post is full of ignorance and elitism. Carp are here, and here to stay. There is NOTHING wrong with people attempting to fish for carp, or ANY species for that matter.

No one talked about introducing carp. The discussion was on how to catch an already present introduced species, just like all bass and sunfish in WA state, all catfish, brook trout, golden trout, brown trout, etc. You wanna whine about something, whine about all the yuppy trout fishers pushing for lakes to be rehabbed so a bunch of stunted hatchery "trout" (if you can call them that) can be planted.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:46 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:
natetreat wrote:
Anglinarcher wrote:

I found his fourth point fairly funny. I did enjoy catching those bass this year. What were they, 2-3 lbs, 14-17 1/2"? A 2-3 lb trout can make long, multiple runs, only one of my bass this year made a run that was worth mentioning. So really, oz to oz, which is the stronger fish? Your gonna love this, I've long thought that if those tiny bluegills and pumpkinseeds were several pounds, that would be an awesome fighting fish! I think that a 6 oz pumpkinseed would knock out an 8 oz bass! If only those geneticists would super size the pumpkinseed we'd be in hawg heaven! LOL:joker: [thumbsup] [woot] Have a GREAT day everyone!
I would love to catch a 10 pound pumpkin seed! That would be epic. Those guys are scrappers. As for trout vs. bass, I would have to say that trout are probably stronger. I've caught BIG bass before, up to 10 pounds, and although they fought really hard on my light tackle, I've caught trout 10 pounds and the fight was incomparable. But I guess steelhead have the current on their side, but still, they are streamlined and powerful swimmers, able to swim against hard current with super strength.

There is not much that can rival the fight in a Chrome Chinook or Coho though. Coho are hard fighters and will tap dance across the surface if you let them. Some of my most exhilarating fish fights have been big coho. When you put the drag on a salmon, you can start to feel like they're going to pull your shoulders from the socket, even with only 8 or 10 pounds of drag, they are strong fish. Steel are the same way, and when you add the current it's like reeling in a tree with head shakes and flopping and jumping.

Don't get me wrong, I like to fight a big bass, but I've found that they roll over faster than some of the fish that I fish for. Carp are massive to begin with, and with their big powerful tail, massive muscles, and unwillingness to give up, they are a fantastic fight for a still water fish.

The best fight I ever had from a fish though was when I was younger on the Columbia on the flats fishing for sturgeon. I caught an oversize fish in about 8-10 feet of water, so the fish really didn't have that much room except to go up, and with a stiff drag, 80 pound test, the fish pulled the boat. It was awesome. Not to mention that the fish jumped around like crazy, coming nearly all the way out of the water several times. After about 2 hours, we got it alongside the boat, and it was almost longer than the boat, which was just surreal.

A goldfish would be super awesome to catch. I've wanted to catch one for a while, I've seen them in Green Lake upwards of five pounds, big bright koi looking things. I think it would be hilarious to get one on!

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:47 pm

You're post is full of ignorance and elitism. Carp are here, and here to stay. There is NOTHING wrong with people attempting to fish for carp, or ANY species for that matter.

No one talked about introducing carp. The discussion was on how to catch an already present introduced species, just like all bass and sunfish in WA state, all catfish, brook trout, golden trout, brown trout, etc. You wanna whine about something, whine about all the yuppy trout fishers pushing for lakes to be rehabbed so a bunch of stunted hatchery "trout" (if you can call them that) can be planted.
OK OK I say again - back on topic (I don't want to have to lock it up).
Last edited by Gringo Pescador on Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:41 pm

All I can say is wow! I don't know how this slipped past our eagle eyed mods but if I had posted something like this the thread would have been locked, after my post was deleted and I had recieved a warning or suspension from the site.
Just goes to show ya favoritism is alive and well.

Carry on guys! carp are the most discusting things I have ever caught. Bar none!!! First thing they do carp.... I mean crap all over you and the boat. I'll stop right there....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!