Carp fishing in the us?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Carp fishing in the us?

Post by natetreat » Mon May 30, 2011 4:08 am

MarkFromSea wrote:
natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:
Damn! This is something I need to try, carp fishing. This bait sounds like it would be a simple and effective recipe after reading those european ones for boillies. I think if I just added egg to this one, then boil the balls, I'd have honest to goodness American boillies. LOL BONUS>>>>>> Looks like a good snack as well! LOL

Yea, I don't know why Europe has to make things so difficult. I've mixed up my own doughbait with some bread creamed corn corn meal and a bit of red koolaide. Other types that work is flour and water, let it sit on the counter over night, then put powdered garlic on it and mix it with cocoa pebbles. It always smells like the corn processing plant I worked in when I was a kid, which is an Awful sweet and savory mix that is quite pungent but carp seem to like it. Also what I do sometimes is put the dough around my weight, on account of chumming isn't legal in WA, and it acts as an attractor.
That's awesome Nate! I'm thinking about it, hmmmmm,:-k we all can have three hooks on a line in lake fishing,,,, hmmmmmm,:-k I also have the 2nd rod endorsement,,,:-k LOL so I can have six hooks and six balls in the water! It's not chummng but that water is going to smell like it is,,,,, :cheers: LOL LOL
I know! I have the two rod endorsement also. Carp fishing takes forever without chumming the water. Unless you have a lot of bait out, and keep losing it. Especially in the bigger lakes when you don't have a boat drawing them to your position is a waiting game. But they also live in little carp ditches where nothing else lives. I always set the hook before I reel in, just in case ;)

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon May 30, 2011 4:09 am

Another good thing is find the spots where people go to feed the ducks. The ducks are messy eaters and the carp love to pick up the scraps.

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Mon May 30, 2011 4:46 am

FYI - because a few have asked - make sure that the body of water you are fishing allows chumming. It will say so in the pamphlet. Otherwise chumming is not allowed.
Inland Fish Program - WDFW
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon May 30, 2011 7:02 am

Hello Stacie! We're talking about carp bait(dough balls) falling off of hooks or smearing the dough on sinkers like smelly jelly. Also about using the lawful 3 hooks per line to put carp bait on, sure, some of that CARP bait would fall off of those hooks as well. We erred in referring to the carp bait that falls off as chumming. Sorry about that and thanks for the reminder to check regs for specific waters that allow chumming(throw carp bait in with out the hooks).

I've never fished for carp. Sounds interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, Fish and Game has spent a lot of time/money to reduce carp numbers in specific waters.

Thanks Again!
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Mon May 30, 2011 3:35 pm

natetreat wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I went fishin today for carp,
in about 6 feet of water. Clear as can be !
Our usual spot. We started chumming corn, and they didnt show for about 30 minutes. I was about 10 feet away from my pole. My uncle is right by our poles and says "Jacob, theres a carp over here pushin 20+ pounds" When he said that, he was lookin at me not the poles. I see my pole start to move, I bolt over to it and it goes in the water, I dived for it, and broke my right hand, on shore.. But got up, and could see my pole so I went in the water after it. I did get my pole back, but this 20+ pound carp broke my 6 pound test on my ultralight rod. Ive caught MANY carp on this and this was the first one to break it. I've caught a 13 pounder on it, my biggest to date.

Hahaha, wow man. Devotion. Are you going to be able to work a rod to fish with that hand for a while? That would kill me to have a cast and not be fishing.
Well, I can somewhat cast , but its not very straight, and only about 15 feet . If it starts to bug me, ill just be fishing for trout in tiger lake for a few weeks. And I can stick my rod in the rod holder. and just reel it from there.
Not as much fun, but hey, its fishin ! :cheers: I should only have it on for about 3-4 weeks.
Once i get it off the summer runs should be in good numbers ! [love]
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon May 30, 2011 4:33 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:Hello Stacie! We're talking about carp bait(dough balls) falling off of hooks or smearing the dough on sinkers like smelly jelly. Also about using the lawful 3 hooks per line to put carp bait on, sure, some of that CARP bait would fall off of those hooks as well. We erred in referring to the carp bait that falls off as chumming. Sorry about that and thanks for the reminder to check regs for specific waters that allow chumming(throw carp bait in with out the hooks).

I've never fished for carp. Sounds interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, Fish and Game has spent a lot of time/money to reduce carp numbers in specific waters.

Thanks Again!

Carp fishing is a lot of fun. They put up a monstrous fight, even the little guys. And inspite of what a lot of guys say, they don't taste that bad. Think Tilapia. My mom loves Tilapia, and all it is is african carp! It's not salmon, but they can put up a fight like a salmon, so when the rivers are closed it's a fun day.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon May 30, 2011 5:55 pm

Gringo Pescador wrote:Welcome to the site Centershock

Carp are great fun to catch.
There are carp in many of the lakes around.

I have seen carp in:

Lake Sammamish
Lake Washington
Greenlake (lots of people fish for carp there)
Ronald Bog up in Shoreline
A little nasty muddy pond between North Seattle Community College and I-5.
Potholes and many of the Seeps lakes
Moses Lake

I went to check out that nasty little muddy pond the other day and it is full of carp. I saw them motoring around at the surface and jumping, and the water was murky brown from the digging that they do. Quick question though, where do you park when you fish there? All the signs in the college lot say you need a permit, and I don't want to get towed, so I didn't stay long. I'm gonna try and check it out again soon, so we'll see.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 pm

natetreat wrote:
Gringo Pescador wrote:Welcome to the site Centershock

Carp are great fun to catch.
There are carp in many of the lakes around.

I have seen carp in:

Lake Sammamish
Lake Washington
Greenlake (lots of people fish for carp there)
Ronald Bog up in Shoreline
A little nasty muddy pond between North Seattle Community College and I-5.
Potholes and many of the Seeps lakes
Moses Lake

I went to check out that nasty little muddy pond the other day and it is full of carp. I saw them motoring around at the surface and jumping, and the water was murky brown from the digging that they do. Quick question though, where do you park when you fish there? All the signs in the college lot say you need a permit, and I don't want to get towed, so I didn't stay long. I'm gonna try and check it out again soon, so we'll see.
Serious? That sounds like shootin "fish in a barrel". I love that kind o fishin! LOL I'll have to give a call to Northgate State Security or some such, might be a visitors pass available or pass requirement "might" not be enfoced when there are no classes in session.... Might be as simple as checking in with campus security.

added later***** I called campus security, language barrior, go figure, 206-527-3636, parking permit requirement not enforced during weekends and holidays that Northgate State is closed. If ya gotta fish while classes are in session, you SHOULD be able to get some sort of temp parking pass if you check in at the desk, years ago, I'd just follow the signs on the west end of the building to visitor check in or whatever to sign in, it might have been a security office then.
LOL the guy didn't know what a pond was, I had to define it for him LOL so verify the info I/he just gave you so it's not my fault if you get a ticket LOL
FISH ON BABY! YEAH!
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Mon May 30, 2011 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon May 30, 2011 11:49 pm

LOL Dude, did I just get punked? LOL I checked out the Northgate State pond today. That thing looked nasty! LOL I had my other half with me so we didn't stay. I'll check again later when I'm solo. But seriously, so gross! I didn't see any movement on/in the water other than the 2 pairs of wood ducks and other ducks. A good excuse to bump out of the house though. That water looked super shallow. LOL Are you sure you saw carp in there? LOL That's hilarious! Ya got me!

So, headin home we looked at Haller, something Bog @ 175 Meridian, Log Boom Park(Kenmore), just out for a drive today. There were a LOT of people at Log Boom!

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue May 31, 2011 2:00 am

When carp become over abundant they cause water quality issues. We are in the process of looking at removal in a couple lakes down here.

Oh and there can be a fine line with carp dough falling off a hook and carp dough 'falling' off a hook if you get my meaning so just be aware!!
Last edited by Stacie Kelsey on Tue May 31, 2011 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA
http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue May 31, 2011 2:02 am

MarkFromSea wrote:LOL Dude, did I just get punked? LOL I checked out the Northgate State pond today. That thing looked nasty! LOL I had my other half with me so we didn't stay. I'll check again later when I'm solo. But seriously, so gross! I didn't see any movement on/in the water other than the 2 pairs of wood ducks and other ducks. A good excuse to bump out of the house though. That water looked super shallow. LOL Are you sure you saw carp in there? LOL That's hilarious! Ya got me!

So, headin home we looked at Haller, something Bog @ 175 Meridian, Log Boom Park(Kenmore), just out for a drive today. There were a LOT of people at Log Boom!

I'm sure I saw 'em. They were rolling and sharking around. It did look look pretty gnarly, but that's what carp like. I have caught 'em out of a ditch like that in Portland when I was at a fish convention at some hotel. They had a swamp behind them that had carp sharking about. I'm planning on trying it out tomorrow, I'll see what I can report back to you with. I did see fish, I saw the wood ducks too. I'll let you know if it's a worth a return trip.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Tue May 31, 2011 2:31 am

natetreat wrote:
MarkFromSea wrote:LOL Dude, did I just get punked? LOL I checked out the Northgate State pond today. That thing looked nasty! LOL I had my other half with me so we didn't stay. I'll check again later when I'm solo. But seriously, so gross! I didn't see any movement on/in the water other than the 2 pairs of wood ducks and other ducks. A good excuse to bump out of the house though. That water looked super shallow. LOL Are you sure you saw carp in there? LOL That's hilarious! Ya got me!

I'm sure I saw 'em. They were rolling and sharking around. It did look look pretty gnarly, but that's what carp like. I have caught 'em out of a ditch like that in Portland when I was at a fish convention at some hotel. They had a swamp behind them that had carp sharking about. I'm planning on trying it out tomorrow, I'll see what I can report back to you with. I did see fish, I saw the wood ducks too. I'll let you know if it's a worth a return trip.
Nope you weren't being punked. I've seen carp in there, but never fished it - I checked it out once to see if it might hold bass, I just parked and checked it out, didn't stay long enough to sorry about being ticketed. Unless you were using some heavy duty braid to pull the fish clear out of the water onto the bank, I don't think I would want to step near that mud.:pale:
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Tue May 31, 2011 4:11 am

Ronald Bog is the one, and it's got carp in it for sure. I haven't gotten them to bite yet, but I'm working on it. I fish log boom quite often, it's only five miles from my place. There are carp there as well, but lots of pikeminnow and bass too. It gets really busy on nice days though.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 31, 2011 4:32 am

I am sure you are both right. I had my better half with me and looked for a spot where both of us could fish together. It was a bit tight on space. I was just poking fun at the pond. All in good fun! LOL I will give it a try solo later.
Last edited by MarkFromSea on Tue May 31, 2011 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 31, 2011 4:38 am

Stacie Kelsey wrote:When carp become over abundant they cause water quality issues. We are in the process of looking at removal in a couple lakes down here.

Oh and there can be a fine line with carp dough falling off a hook and carp dough 'falling' off a hook if you get my meaning so just be aware!!
You're right Stacie, thanks for pointing that out, just because they are carp doesn't mean we can have a good laugh about the rules that regulate them.

I do try to laugh at what I think is funny though. I'm frequently told "Mark, you're not funny, quit trying to tell a joke."

Stacie Kelsey
Commander

Post by Stacie Kelsey » Tue May 31, 2011 2:04 pm

Funny is good!!!

I just wanted to point this out to the lurkers. Personally I think carp get a bad rap. They are a pretty cool fish. Just in large numbers they can be destructive.
Region 5 - Vancouver, WA

Teal101
Warrant Officer

Post by Teal101 » Tue May 31, 2011 10:44 pm

MarkFromSea wrote:
Fish_Bait111397 wrote:I fish for carp every weekend down here.
There are also carp in lake tapps.
I have caught most of my carp on corn.
I know "boilies" work good to.
Just type in carp boilies in the google search bar and
there will be many results.!
Good Luck !
Is this one shoe peg corn out of a can and a size 8, 6 or 4 hook? I like using the smaller hooks also. I have never targeted carp though. Fishing Red Rock Lake a couple weeks back, I must have seen a thousand carp skimming the water. Wish I had something to toss at them on the surface, not much else was biting at the time. If I had lots of time to spare and a bucket of money for gas, I'd like to give them carp a try by hunting down the schools with a boat at Red Rock Lake.

Last weekend at the Quincy Lakes area the wildlife(birds mostly) were very active, ducks and ducklings, red wing black birds fighting off other birds for specific territory, crickets singing, frogs croaking, the wild flowers were in bloom, I couldn't help but to notice how many sunflower looking plants were around. I would have seen more had I not been so busy catching fish! LOL I didn't see any carp at Quincy Lake area.
Theres carp in Evergreen Res. and the canal/ditch that runs into it, the rest of the lakes dont have them.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:37 pm

Stacie Kelsey wrote:FYI - because a few have asked - make sure that the body of water you are fishing allows chumming. It will say so in the pamphlet. Otherwise chumming is not allowed.
Thanks Stacie, I was just about to point that out. Just because it is Carp does not mean you can ignore the rules.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Anglinarcher
Admiral

Post by Anglinarcher » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:22 pm

I have been amazed at this thread. First, the premise that trout are so easy to catch. I suppose that if you catch hatchery fish at the dump point, that would be true. But then again, fish for carp in an area with lots of carp and they are just as easy if not more so.

Second, I am also amazed at the concept that the bait is so "special". Carp will eat anything they can get in their mouths. I have caught carp on lakes with a fly rod, while they were eating black ants or Cicadas. It was not as hard as fishing for the trout. Carp did not care if the fly drug or was not the right size. I have tossed cotton balls tied on hooks when they were scooping cotton wood cotton from the surface. Worms? Yes!. Corn, absolutely. In Europe, they chum with maggots and corn to get the carp to come to them. In Washington, that will land you a ticket.

Third, if carp are so great eating, then why is it that I cannot get my Polish, Russian, or Asian friends to take some of my bow caught carp. Taste like Talipia? Like heck they do. Talipia have no taste; that is why chiefs like them, they add whatever flavor they want. Carp have a distinct flavor. It is not bad if you know how to clean the fish, and if it is taken from clean water, but it is not like Talipia and it is not to my liking.

Forth, the concept that carp are hard fighting is, well, beyond me. Yes, a 10 pound carp fights harder then a 1 pound trout. But then again, a 10 pound tire fights harder then a 1 pound trout. Still, tie a three pound SMB to 3 pound carp and the carp is dead meat. Nevertheless, the fact that carp get so big, and are so "plentiful", does bode well for someone that does not want to work at catching fish and just wants to sit back, drink beer, and call if fishing. Big Whoop!

So, if I catch any of you being bucket biologist with carp, I will NOT call the authorities. No sir, I WILL call my friends and let them take care of you. I assure you, better turn yourselves in before my friends get to you! Carp can destroy a water system by eating all of the vegetation, rooting up the bottom, destroying native fisheries bio-systems, and overall messing with balances. They may be fine in foreign waters where they evolved, but they are NOT fine in America.

Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you - catch all you can, keep all you catch. If you think that you should spread carp to your favorite water, then see above first.
Too much water, so many fish, too little time.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 pm

Anglinarcher wrote:I have been amazed at this thread. First, the premise that trout are so easy to catch. I suppose that if you catch hatchery fish at the dump point, that would be true. But then again, fish for carp in an area with lots of carp and they are just as easy if not more so.

Second, I am also amazed at the concept that the bait is so "special". Carp will eat anything they can get in their mouths. I have caught carp on lakes with a fly rod, while they were eating black ants or Cicadas. It was not as hard as fishing for the trout. Carp did not care if the fly drug or was not the right size. I have tossed cotton balls tied on hooks when they were scooping cotton wood cotton from the surface. Worms? Yes!. Corn, absolutely. In Europe, they chum with maggots and corn to get the carp to come to them. In Washington, that will land you a ticket.

Third, if carp are so great eating, then why is it that I cannot get my Polish, Russian, or Asian friends to take some of my bow caught carp. Taste like Talipia? Like heck they do. Talipia have no taste; that is why chiefs like them, they add whatever flavor they want. Carp have a distinct flavor. It is not bad if you know how to clean the fish, and if it is taken from clean water, but it is not like Talipia and it is not to my liking.

Forth, the concept that carp are hard fighting is, well, beyond me. Yes, a 10 pound carp fights harder then a 1 pound trout. But then again, a 10 pound tire fights harder then a 1 pound trout. Still, tie a three pound SMB to 3 pound carp and the carp is dead meat. Nevertheless, the fact that carp get so big, and are so "plentiful", does bode well for someone that does not want to work at catching fish and just wants to sit back, drink beer, and call if fishing. Big Whoop!

So, if I catch any of you being bucket biologist with carp, I will NOT call the authorities. No sir, I WILL call my friends and let them take care of you. I assure you, better turn yourselves in before my friends get to you! Carp can destroy a water system by eating all of the vegetation, rooting up the bottom, destroying native fisheries bio-systems, and overall messing with balances. They may be fine in foreign waters where they evolved, but they are NOT fine in America.

Last, as I get off my soap box, if you love to fish for carp that much, then perhaps you live in the wrong country. Feel free to go back to Europe of Asia where they are prized. If you love this country, and still want to catch carp, then I will forgive you - catch all you can, keep all you catch. If you think that you should spread carp to your favorite water, then see above first.
Where did THAT thrashing come from???

1st - You think Carp are easy to catch, I think trout are. Who is right? WHO CARES!

2nd - People tend to overthink and make things more than they need to be FOR ANY TYPE OF FISH - look at all the crap out there for Trout, Bass, Salmon, etc. I have a recipe I use for curing prawns for steelhead, I swear by it - could I just use a night crawler and get the same results PROBABLY, but who are you to tell me what I should or shouldn't use?

3rd - Some people like Carp - deal with it - if you don't THEN DONT EAT IT.

4th - The which fish fights better debate will never be decided - even by someone as all knowing as yourself. Every carp I have ever caught was a blast to fight - I cant say that about trout. As far as working for your fish, go for it, leave us alone to sit back and watch a day go by if we want, we aren't hurting you.

Lastly as far as bucket biology goes, maybe I missed it, but I did not see one word in this thread about anyone planning to do it. Your threats are a violation of the code of conduct for this site. Maybe you need to take your soap box, go find a walk in cooler and chill out for awhile.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker