Anyone testing the fish?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MikeFishes
Commander

Anyone testing the fish?

Post by MikeFishes » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:21 pm

I wasn't sure this really should go in the Salt forum, but it is about fishing the salt.

There's a good point in this article. Not that I'm an alarmist (or any other 'ist' for that matter), but this has been on my mind. After all, I have a wife with a thyroid condition and 4 young kids who love to eat fish.
Tuna spend years off the Japanese coast before migrating to the Pacific Northwest. Should someone be testing the fish for radiation?

The Washington Department of Health continues to test the air, the drinking water and even milk for any signs of radiation from the disaster in Japan. So far, the tests have shown only small amounts of radiation. Amounts that are far below what the experts say could be dangerous.

But should someone be testing the fish in the ocean?

Local fishermen catch about 100,000 pounds of albacore tuna off the Washington and Oregon's coasts each summer. Those fish spend years off the Japanese coast before migrating to the Pacific Northwest.

"Our concern is that this fallout, in addition to the run-off settling in the sea, that this is going to get into the plankton and eventually work its way into the fish," says Vidar Wespestad.

Wespestad is a fisheries biologist who spent 30 years working for NOAA in Seattle. He's spent years studying the migration of albacore across the Pacific.
http://www.oregonlive.com/environment/i ... _tuna.html

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:Anyone testing the fish?

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:36 am

1) Not usefull if you C&R

2) Not practical price wise

3) I see you talking salt so retention and the currents are an issue. Even though I believe the radiation build up is cumlitive, I dont eat enough to worry.

4) There are so many bad things in todays foods, a little iodine radation wont make a whole lot of difference on the grand scale.

5) I dont think it matters. Its going to show up in all of our foods, already in the milk, so eat what you catch and enjoy.

Gonefishing
Commander

Post by Gonefishing » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:54 am

You will know you got a problem when your glow is brighter than your night light.

I was wondering about the current and radiation levels if we have any in the Puget Sound the other day as well.

Dustin07
Commodore

Post by Dustin07 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:16 pm

I was reading that experts were not worried about the contamination in the water as much as they were the immediate vicinity of the plants in Japan. The ocean they said would be fine. I don't know how/why, but nobody seemed nearly as concerned.

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:08 pm

We did a little test contamination back in the 40's. The results were fairly localized.....

Not poking fun, in fact I'm not surprised we did considering the worlds ignorance at the time, none the less a bit ashamed we really did it. What a barbarous world we live in...
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!