Ling 2011....gotta do it!

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Ling 2011....gotta do it!

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:09 pm

So it starts....

hate to do it so early, but man.....I'm getting excited!! 40 days and counting in A7. With the recent nice weather....I can't wait to get out on the salt and do some quality bottom fishin. Before we all know it, we'll be chasing lings and possibly some hali's. Gotta get it started right! As some know, I like to dabble in all sorts of fisheries, but salty bottom fishing is my bread and butter. I guess it's easiest to learn and produces some great returns. It's funny, after six weeks of ling fishing last season, I didn't manage ONE KEEPER! That's the way it goes....gotta change that trend this year.

This one came in july trolling for salmon....nice fat summer fed fish. Had to let her go, she still swims to this day....and I know exactly where!!! Let's hear it for some spring ling!!
Attachments
004.jpg
004.jpg (82.89 KiB) Viewed 3334 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Gonefishing
Commander

RE:Ling 2011....gotta do it!

Post by Gonefishing » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:38 pm

I did a baaaad thing today.... a reallly baaaaaad thing. I watched Hawg Quest this morning - todays show was in reference to Ling and Salmon. Next thing I knew I buried the brooms, hid the dusting cloths, destroyed the vacuum cleaner, burned up my wife's to do before May 1 list, and then started pacing the house because I now have the worst case of cabin feaver ever.

Like I said I did a baaaaaaaaaaaad thing today. And if my wife can find my finger prints on the torn up vacuum parts or even discovers I roasted the list I won't be fishing come May or ever.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 am

That's a nice ling, those females can get big! I tangle with my first ling of the season this weekend and I lost it in the rocks. But I'm gonna get out whenever I can, there's nothing like 'em, big mean and tasty. Here's one of my favorite videos of a ling T0KQtZZBVzA , I had something similar happen last year. Had a three or so pound greenling on one hook, about a 8 pound cabezon on the other ad on the tail of the cabezon was a big mean ling, about 23 -24 pounds.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:59 am

I'm hoping to get out after some lings this weekend. Areas 1-3 opened last weekend.
Lee

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:08 am

yes iam also really excited for this years ling season. got new 300$ rod and reel for my 18th b day i needto use it befor lol. But it willl be great for lings

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:31 pm

bionic_one wrote:I'm hoping to get out after some lings this weekend. Areas 1-3 opened last weekend.
I go through this every year.....I'm moving to the coast! Or...I just need to find work out there for march and april. :-" Consider yourself blessed, appreciate what you have....some pics would really get us insiders excited..:salut:

Good luck if you get out, looks like some weather coming fri-sat-sun....play it safe.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:56 pm

I..... can't...... wait!

Probably one of my all time favorite pics:
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:30 am

April 16th.... Neah Bay.... I will be there! Course, my lings come home via the end of my spear!
Attachments
web.JPG
web.JPG (83.7 KiB) Viewed 3299 times
neah_bay.jpg
neah_bay.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 3293 times

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:38 am

Nice Fish! When you're diving down there with them, do they just sit there staring at you hoping you don't see them?
Lee

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:06 am

bionic_one wrote:Nice Fish! When you're diving down there with them, do they just sit there staring at you hoping you don't see them?
Ling are actually the top predators around here once they get above the 24' size. So not much scares them if you approach them quietly. We actually drop down and immediatly shoot a rock fish. The smell of blood in the water brings the lings out of hiding looking for an easy meal. Many times I have finished stringing up my rock fish kill only to turn around and see several lings staring at me!

Check these photos out of hungry ling....
Attachments
cabby3.jpg
cabby3.jpg (143.15 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
ling%20lips.jpg
ling%20lips.jpg (141.91 KiB) Viewed 3283 times

jake_k
Warrant Officer

Post by jake_k » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:13 am

oh my god i am super jealous. I am going to get my scuba license soon and start spear fishing

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:38 am

jake_k wrote:oh my god i am super jealous. I am going to get my scuba license soon and start spear fishing

Yes,.. do get certified first and once you do, stay current. We dont need to pull anymore bodies from the deep. Drop me a line when you do. My group of spearo buddies are always looking for dive buddies. Just plan on doing most of your spearing out at Neah Bay where you actually have a season. Here in the sound we only get 2 weeks, and you cannot spear rockfish.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:13 pm

Nice fish....that's what I'm talking about!!

Yeah jakson, spearing is pretty hardcore....hats off to you. :salut: It takes alot of courage and knowledge to get down in their environment....and shoot one!!

Classic Matt....good to see your not a "glover" either...cut fingers are a braggin right in my mind :cheers: see what we can do this season....
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

here's my brother holding up the fish that I caught, so he could tell his girlfriend he didn't get skunked :-" . The other fish is on the rocks. Last year, mid march.

ResQ
Commander

Post by ResQ » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:45 pm

Fished Westport last thursday and did great! We came home with 14 lings and 65 sea bass. Great day on the water! Pretty excited to get back out!

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:51 pm

Cod is my fav fish to eat, i really cannot wait to have ago at this fishery.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:19 am

ResQ wrote:Fished Westport last thursday and did great! We came home with 14 lings and 65 sea bass. Great day on the water! Pretty excited to get back out!
damn. nice work ResQ. So let me get this straight.....you (and your fellow anglers) have already boated more keeper lings than I will probably see in the next two seasons. Wow, guess it sucks to be me. any pics?? yeah, we all know that the coast/strait is a whole different story though. Glad to hear you had some good fishin though....

22 days for us insiders. already got vacation requested for May 1,,2,3......and I think I may have problems seeing May 4....... seeing myself making it to work that is! :cheers:
Last edited by Rollin with Rolland on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:54 am

natetreat wrote:here's my brother holding up the fish that I caught, so he could tell his girlfriend he didn't get skunked :-" . The other fish is on the rocks. Last year, mid march.

Neah Bay Jetty:-" ?? Or not sayin'? Nice fish Nate.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:55 am

Matt wrote:I..... can't...... wait!

Probably one of my all time favorite pics:

Matt, that has always been one of my favorite pics. on this website, (I've seen it a few times) You can see the tonsils on that fish.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:57 am

The Quadfather wrote:
natetreat wrote:here's my brother holding up the fish that I caught, so he could tell his girlfriend he didn't get skunked :-" . The other fish is on the rocks. Last year, mid march.

Neah Bay Jetty:-" ?? Or not sayin'? Nice fish Nate.
Westport Jetty. I've never fished at Neah Bay.