Winter Steel

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Winter Steel

Post by Amx » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 am

edited
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:34 pm

Matt wrote:These 2 members are just out to make waves, this is like the third time this month they have been repremanded for being rude and just stirring the pot. I can tell you with no reservation who my least two favorite members of the forum are, but I will let y'all take a wild guess.
...comin in here trashing my favorite spot on the whole board with their garbage and nonsense. Get real!
And the comment about 99% Of fisherman not caring, do you make up that percentage of the fishing population? Because YOU are the 1%Er not the rest of us honest fisherman who RESPECT our resource.
Now look who is stirring the pot. Take your grievances to a PM. I don't want to lock this thread again.[glare]

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:57 pm

Matt wrote:
Bodofish wrote:Come on guys..... it aint that bad. Only a couple weeks till March madness on the Cow...
Matt, you me and Cory (Jacksonbrown) should make a trip down together in a few weeks for a big WAlakes fishfest!!! Maybe even Jay could tag along.
I just saw this.. Hell yea.. Im in! Its obvious we all need to go fishing and get off the computer.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:13 pm

Cory, I am planning to go down to the cow this weekend and I think Bodo is in too, either Friday or Saturday were our choice for the days. Been hearing good reports and the levels look good so I think it could be time to go! Barrier just counted their first springer too so that's in the mix.

Marc, I tried pming with no response in the past.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Pm me your phone # if you're interested cory, that would be 3 walakes boats on the water. My boat is full w 3 guys, I dunno if either you or bodo might be able to offer other members a seat?

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

I just got the signals fixed! wee could all fit in the Suburban and do a day of it. OOps or or yeah the boat would be cool too!
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:48 pm

Haha, that's funny bodo, I am working on my lights right now too and think I just about got the problem licked (hopefully). Taking the boat down is way more expensive... but I haven't taken my boat on the Cow before and I kind of want to give it a try.

Jaksonbrown
Warrant Officer

Post by Jaksonbrown » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:12 pm

Im in for Sat if that is the day chosen. I have that damn 4 letter word to do on Friday..(work). Are ya thinking of fishing the barrier dam area or around blue creek?

Pm sent...

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:22 pm

I was thinking of fishing around BC, at least launching there anyway. The shore fishing has been decent in that area too. I just found out I don't have to work Thurs-Tuesday so I got a long weekend coming (but then tons of work after, lol) so I might be down there for 2 days.

I will give you a call tomorrow when I know more Cory.

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:24 pm

Alright back to being nice and on the topic of steelhead. This is the same fish, but this pic makes it look the actual size, likely close to 17lbs. Vedder river in canada, finally got a big one, biggest steel of my life. I see you guys seem to know a lot about the cowlitz, anyone know the best time for springers on the cowlitz, when there are still steelhead around? Im thinking of going once or twice.
Attachments
papa.JPG
papa.JPG (24.95 KiB) Viewed 2122 times
http://www.riverchromeguideservice.com

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Official WashingtonLakes.com Sponsor

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:37 pm

What are you getting these fish to bite on the Vedder?
"One more......."

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:44 pm

Umm really these fish didn't care, they went on bites, evening and morning on monday. On the morning bite, we got the 2 steel on shrimp and orange yarn under a bobber. In the evening i got my 17lber and smaller fish on eggs under bobber. So pretty much bait under bobber for us when there hungry.

River Chrome Guide Service specializes in salmon and steelhead fishing in Puget Sound and The Olympic Peninsula

Fish_Bait111397
Captain

Post by Fish_Bait111397 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:51 pm

your guys fish makes me wanna go to canada,
nice fish ! Keep 'em coming.
~Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths.

~My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:53 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Umm really these fish didn't care, they went on bites, evening and morning on monday. On the morning bite, we got the 2 steel on shrimp and orange yarn under a bobber. In the evening i got my 17lber and smaller fish on eggs under bobber. So pretty much bait under bobber for us when there hungry.
Well nice fish. I plan on fishing that river in the fall.
"One more......."

RiverChromeGS
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by RiverChromeGS » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

Yea, unfortunately Canada has a much better system for their fisheries than washington, seems to be the only place to catch fish at least near me, vedder is only 45 minutes from my house. They closed all the washington rivers around here. Jens, do you plan on fishing it for salmon in the fall? Besides the massive amounts of people fishing for salmon in the vedder in fall its a great fishery. Find a place where you can walk back into the woods, and you should find good salmon with little people.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:29 pm

fishenfreak wrote:Yea, unfortunately Canada has a much better system for their fisheries than washington, seems to be the only place to catch fish at least near me, vedder is only 45 minutes from my house. They closed all the washington rivers around here. Jens, do you plan on fishing it for salmon in the fall? Besides the massive amounts of people fishing for salmon in the vedder in fall its a great fishery. Find a place where you can walk back into the woods, and you should find good salmon with little people.
I do. I met a couple good eggs last fall fishing for Ho's who raved about the Vedder. It can't be any worse combat-wise then some of the rivers I fish here. I can deal.
"One more......."

akochman09
Petty Officer

Post by akochman09 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:06 pm

awwww. yeah, vedder slam at the keith wilson bridge. get there before 530 and you might get a spot. otherwise dont show up, haha. my biggest out of there is close to 30 and my dads biggest was a 40 pounder.

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Matt wrote:Cory, I am planning to go down to the cow this weekend and I think Bodo is in too, either Friday or Saturday were our choice for the days. Been hearing good reports and the levels look good so I think it could be time to go! Barrier just counted their first springer too so that's in the mix.

Marc, I tried pming with no response in the past.
Me and my buddy might be there Saturday banking it. Not sure where to go, anyone else banking it this weekend?

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:22 pm

I was thinking of banking it this weekend since thats the only choice I have really lol Let me know if you all go I will be willing to make that drive and do some banking with ya'll
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:55 pm

I might head down to the cow on fri or Saturday to start off my spring break if I recognize any of you I will say hello