28.1 Pound Blackmouth caught out of Roche Harbor

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MikeFishes
Commander

28.1 Pound Blackmouth caught out of Roche Harbor

Post by MikeFishes » Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Didn't see this here, so I thought I'd share:
Before the Roche Harbor Salmon Classic Invitational held this past Friday and Saturday the buzz coming from the San Juan Islands was the winter chinook fishery was all about quality (sheer size of large fish being caught) over quantity, and that surely showed its true color.

"The record blackmouth for the 8th annual Roche Harbor Salmon Classic was a 26-pounder, caught back in 2004, and Derek Floyd (of Stanwood) smashed that record," said Tony Floor, director of fishing affairs for the Northwest Marine Trade Association and coordinator of the derby series.

Floyd landed the 28.10 pound hatchery chinook in Obstruction Pass on Saturday, and also had fish weighing 13, 14, 15 and 17 pounds to take the most total weight in his boat along with a side bet that earned him $21,000 in the derby.
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/r ... caugh.html

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

RE:28.1 Pound Blackmouth caught out of Roche Harbor

Post by Rich McVey » Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:24 pm

Thats a good lookin fish. Ya cant beat the scenery up there either.

Matt
Admiral

RE:28.1 Pound Blackmouth caught out of Roche Harbor

Post by Matt » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:43 am

Gotta be a true king not a resident. Really nice fish by anyone's standards! Biggest fish in the history of that competition, they boated a total of 6 fish in 2 days for 108lbs and 1st place, NICE!
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."