Blackmouth! Who's been out?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sparky1doug
Lieutenant

RE:Blackmouth! Who's been out?

Post by sparky1doug » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:08 pm

Anybody been to Point No Point recently?
"Forever Fishing Washington State" my fish friendly blog on Google.
http://foreverfishing-sparky1doug.blogspot.com/

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:41 pm

PnP to Skunk Bay has been a good run it sounds like. And they've been picking em up on the bar. Those are probly the 2 main areas getting pressure right now in 9.

I am still planning to hit Langley, Hat, and the Racetrack tomorrow in 8, but the weather has gone to pot on me! SE Winds to 11 with a 1-2ft chop which usually means 3 feet it seems like lol. Gunna be a long pound out to the island in my 17' sled but we are going to give it a try. Hopefully if we get up around Langley or the north side of Gedney we might be able to get outa that SE wind and find some decent fishable water.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:05 am

Matt wrote:PnP to Skunk Bay has been a good run it sounds like. And they've been picking em up on the bar. Those are probly the 2 main areas getting pressure right now in 9.

I am still planning to hit Langley, Hat, and the Racetrack tomorrow in 8, but the weather has gone to pot on me! SE Winds to 11 with a 1-2ft chop which usually means 3 feet it seems like lol. Gunna be a long pound out to the island in my 17' sled but we are going to give it a try. Hopefully if we get up around Langley or the north side of Gedney we might be able to get outa that SE wind and find some decent fishable water.
I'm looking forward to hearing how you do Matt.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 am

is there any way to catch blackmouth from shore? I'm shorebound

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 pm

DANG! Hate to disappoint with the report, but we never got out. The weather was PERFECT.... no wind at all, high overcast with some blue sky in places 0 chop on the water, it was a big sheet of glass out there. I fired up the boat, got er warmed up, drove out to the end of the jetty and went to throw it on plane and it went right up on plane and we drove about 500 feet before the motor started skipping and sputtering really weird so we messed around with it for about 30 minutes but couldn't remedy the problem so we returned to the marina on kicker power. The most anti-climactic trip ever! I was so excited to get out.

Fish checker said 19 boats yesterday with 3 fish. One angler I spoke to had landed 2 nice nates but no keepers, he was fishing the racetrack.

Now I gotta figure out this damned motor problem.....
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:54 pm

thats happened to me and my dad a few times, it really sucks. The worst one was on the second day of the coho derby when our motor blew up out in 9. using a kicker all the way from 9 to the everett launch sucks!! Even more so with the extra boat traffic that day and people thought it was okay to drive 25 feet off the side of our boat :ncool:
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:01 pm

That's just boat ownership for yah. If it ain't one thing its another.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:28 pm

Boat = bust out another thousand.
sorry to here the trip went south on you hope it is a easy fix thats for sure.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:00 pm

I've heard decent reports from A7. Haven't been out myself yet this winter. You stickin' to A8 & A9 Matt?? You still up in Whatcom? Just wondering, like I said, (I'm sure everyone has heard, since being on outdoor line [a7]) a buddy from anacortes has been having pretty good luck in the Juans, weather/tides permitting. Winds look calm wed-fri, oh darn, those are my days off. :cheers: Plus sunshine. Maybe a report coming from me later this week.....

Good luck everyone, be safe.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:04 pm

Hey Charles, haven't seen you post in a while, good to hear from yah. I moved outa the Ham last year, I've been working as a Fish Bio for Tulalip Tribes in Marysville so I haven't been up in 7 in a while but I wouldn't mind getting after some bottomfish this spring :cheers: . I have heard reports and seen pix of some dandies comin outa the Juans in the past couple of weeks. The checker down here said she hadn't seen any fish really since November until this past week down here and it has started picking up. Most everyone is hitting 9, but I think Baby Island and Elger Bay are probably holding some big fish, the potential for a 20 lb blackmouth may even exist.

I am teching the boat tomorrow with a basic fuel system rundown to try and remedy the problem, If I can get it licked I plan to be out Wednesday in the sunshine!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:10 pm

Nice! glad to hear the upgrade. You know Nate a checker from Bellingham? Friend of mine, good insider info. We still gotta get out one of these days. Heck ya for spring bottomfish, looking for a new tub myself......think i got 2'itis, you know, always need another two feet! PM if you wanna get out for some ling this spring/summer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

MaxumCory
Angler

Post by MaxumCory » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

Just about got my boat ready for some trolling! Thanks for all the input Matt and BigD. Now im trying to decide where to take her out. Out of the convienient area's for me to go; 9, 11, and 12; it seems 9 has the most activity. Just wondering if anyone has anything good to say about 11 or 12. Im bummed that salmon just ended in area 10.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.