Blackmouth! Who's been out?

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Matt
Admiral

Blackmouth! Who's been out?

Post by Matt » Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:42 pm

8-2 and 9 just opened up for blackmouth yesterday, has anyone been out. My buddy and I are thinking of hitting the Racetrack this Thursday. 8-2 has been closed for king retention since spring and my guess is there are some around. Any input?
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

BARCHASER10
Captain

RE:Blackmouth! Who's been out?

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Cant this week. Doing some remodel work on the old house. Go out next week if the weather is OK. Racetrack is good. This time of year, early, I also like Elger Bay. Often, I launch at Everett, start at the Racetrack, and move up to Elger if there is nothin going on at the Racetrack.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:26 am

Im gonna be a Saltwater NEWBIE here soon. Just mooved to Woodinville and got a 24 ft cruiser I'll be putting in the sound. 8.1, 8.2, 9 and 10 will be my primary stomping grounds.

What is "The Racetrack"?

Rich

goodtimesfishing
Captain

Post by goodtimesfishing » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:24 am

matt- also try tip of camano(south-east tip) at drop off. If you keep flasher and squid right at bottom(without losing them, kinda like drift fishing, if you never feel bottom, you are wasting your time)you can almost always pick up a black mouth. Color of choice green! uv green if you have it.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:17 am

Rich, the Racetrack is the area between Hat Island(Gedney) and Camano Head. It is basically a bar that runs between the two points and holds its fair share of bait and fish.

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:24 am

Good to know.

Thank You.

kjackson
Petty Officer

Post by kjackson » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:41 pm

Word from Westside Marine in PT today is that it's slow up here at Midchannel and around...will try myself next week sometime after installation of the new kicker, downriggers and sonar on the boat.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:06 pm

Boy, according to the on line fish checker reports and the Seattle Times today, Blackmouth has been pretty ugly. Weather hasnt been too good either. I may try it next week out of Everett if the weather is OK.

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:24 pm

I've been ready to go the past two days but the wind is not cooperating. Supposedly tomorrow it should stay under 10knts for most of the day, keeping my fingers crossed.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Can't wait till the reports start improving. If the weather allows, I hope to be out on the water Thanksgiving weekend for some crab and a little trolling for blackmouth. I also have Friday December 24th through January 2nd off and hope to get out there at least a couple of times. Prayin for light winds!

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:10 pm

Good news, I was out today and the crab were huge and hardshell. Had double limits in just one pot, however, keeper sized blackmouth were no where to be found.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm

I havent been out. But I do notice on the on line fish checker reports, the central and south sound areas are awful, but the San Juans is OK. Link below for the fish checker reports, not sure if it works. If it doesnt work just google puget creel reports.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/

Anyway at Wash Park ramp at Anacortes on 12/10 11 anglers got 8, and on 12/11 25 got 13. So it aint really a lack of Blackmouth, more like they are staying away from 8-2 and 9. I used to keep my boat at Anacortes in the 80's but I havent fished in 20 years, maybe I should start.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:06 pm

I have heard that 8.1 has been crap so far this year, and a lot of the time its been littered with commercial crab traps which is never fun up there either. The regulars in 7 have been doing 2 fish days pretty regular, when the weather holds off, its been windy. Seems like thats the spot to hit this year, so far anyhow. Hopefully 8.1 picks up before spring, I really like fishing up there its beautiful.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:56 pm

Yup. Elger Bay, Baby island, Greenbank, are my fav Blackmouth spots in the winter.

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:59 am

i know your not supposed to report these kind of "secrets" for fear they'll get fished out or something but...

my hardcore area 13 guys are catch'n chum !!!! nice bright 1s....
the thing is tho...when the "right" tide is run'n they almost ALLLWAYS catch atleast 1 chinook
work'n the "edge" and the "hole" off the south end of Anderson <shrugs>

but i never told ya that...DOG

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:50 am

hmmppff....here's some more stuff i shouldnt tell ya's....

before the hardcores started chase'n chums farther south....they were hunt'n 'em
on the east side of the narrows and when the tide was right they'd run over and hit
Fosdick and around the corner to Wollchet...drag'n bottom look'n for blackmouth....find
the bait duh....they were pick'n up 1 or 2 nearly everyday 5LBS or a little better...caught
a couple in the bay and a couple across over bye the island... where they found bait duh..
nuthin but general info (mumble'n) about the gear but i do know the 'ol codgers have been
known to go bait fish'n before put'n out their salmon gear and they shock 'em and throw 'em
in the "secret" dye potion <shrugs>
they DO have a couple old fasioned "meat lines" in their boat they say they use but they were
always on DR's when i've seen them out there.......DOG

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 pm

Anybody been out in 8-1 at all? I heard last weekend and the week prior was good out off Hat Island both south and north side. They were reporting about it on the Outdoor Line and John Martini's from John's had also said it has picked up in 8-1. I was thinking of giving it a shot with the good weather coming this weekend.

BARCHASER10
Captain

Post by BARCHASER10 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:06 pm

According to the on line fish checker reports, very few boats out. Pretty skunky weather and extreme high tides.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/creel/puget/

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:52 pm

Yeah I read the outdoor line blog and they showed pix of area 9 and it is a mud bath out there. I have heard reports fishing around the low tide has been decent in 9 and 10 both. Thinking of maybe fishing for a couple hours around the low tide on Sunday. I wonder if the muddy water goes down very deep? My guess is the top is what is muddy and down towards the bottom where the fish and bait are it is probably much clearer.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:15 pm

i heard of a few fish cought out there in the mud recently so maybe the bottom is clear or just scent up really well
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."