Lake Wenatchee,should I bother fishing?

Lake fishing topics and discussions belong in this forum. Please, don't post reports in the forum.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information.
kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Lake Wenatchee,should I bother fishing?

Post by kevinb » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:02 pm

I have the pleasure of getting out with the family and extended family around the Leavenworth area.
We're renting a cabin not far from Lake Wenatchee,this wasn't originally a fishing trip but a few of my brother inlaws
were inquiring about the fishery. From viewing the regs I understand it is selective gear rules and was able to look
up some info from previous reports but I was still curious to get more insight.The other kicker,I will not be able to pull the
boat,so is their much luck fishing shorebound? and if so,what lures seem to produce?

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Lake Wenatchee,should I bother fishing?

Post by The Quadfather » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:38 pm

Kevin, check out how close you are to Fish lake. Near lake Wenatchee. It can be a very good lake. I have never heard good things about lake Wen. considering the size of it. The have a sockeye season that opens like once every 10 years or something, but general trout fishing isn't really talked about. You prob. already know that fish lake has boats you can rent, even I think pontoon party boats to bring the non fisher types.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

I've never picked up many fish from shore on Lake Wenatchee other than pikeminnows. They do have some fairly big ones in there though and can be fun to catch on light tackle. Bring waders if you have them and fish from the beach at the State Park, they love mini Hotshots, small spoons and spinners.

Outjack
Angler

Post by Outjack » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:46 pm

Head to Fish lake. The trout and perch bite will bring steady action from the dock or boat. Call The Cove resot for current conditions 509-763-3130.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Ask....and you shall receive!:cheers:
I really,really appreciate the info. I actually didn't give Fish lake a 2nd look,I assumed for whatever reason that it
was closed for the year. I think that will be the lake of choice,might even have to attempt gathering a perch fry dinner.
But I'm just happy to get out and checkout the scenery,should we get lucky and actually catch fish,it will be an added bonus for us.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:46 pm

Sorry,tardo has another question
Are there any decent trails around the lake? Not a biggie,just looking for an area that I might be able to play with a set of
snow shoes and a camera.

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:14 am

kevinb wrote:Sorry,tardo has another question
Are there any decent trails around the lake? Not a biggie,just looking for an area that I might be able to play with a set of
snow shoes and a camera.
I am sure there are many many more, but this is the only one I know about.

If you drive around the west side of the lake (S. Shore Rd/Ceder Brae Rd/Nat Forest Rd 6750), there are two trails that go up to Hidden Lake. The more established/groomed trail head (left off the road) has a parking area and bathrooms and is about 1/4 mile from the Glacier View Campground. The 2nd is narrow/steeper trail basically straight up from the end of the road at the campground. You can see it via Google maps.

It is a cool little lake, holds a bunch of little 6" trout.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks Gringo,I'm currently getting the truck loaded for this weekend...looks like I will see my fair share of snow.
Even packed along a few sleds for the kids...along with fishing rods:-$
Thanks again Gringo and everyone else. I'll stash up some pics when I return

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:37 pm

Just wanted to thank you all again for the help. We had an excellent weekend. Only punched in a couple hours at Fish Lake,we didn't have any luck but did see several top water trout playing. We mainly played in the snow.
Just gorgeous out there and will certainly be back there again.
I'll submit a report soon,just wanted to jump in here and thank you folks again.

Kevin