First Salmon and thank you

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
MoreFish
Angler

First Salmon and thank you

Post by MoreFish » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:54 pm

I got my first salmon ever yesterday and couldn’t be more pleased. I got this gorgeous buck under the highway bridge on the Wallace yesterday. He took a marabou jig under a bobber. It was a rush to catch him. He made several long runs and some spectacular jumps. It has to be one of the biggest fish I’ve ever landed (I’m used to bluegills and trout hehe). The other anglers near me were very kind and helped me land him and take some photos. My wife and I had salmon for dinner tonight and it was great.

I have been fishing the Snohomish system a bunch this fall hoping to get a salmon without any luck. I am new to salmon fishing and starting out I really didn’t know what I was doing. I just wanted to thank all you guys for your contributions to this awesome site. I’ve learned a lot from many of your posts and reports. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience with others so that they can enjoy this sport too.

dicinu
Commander

RE:First Salmon and thank you

Post by dicinu » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:00 pm

congrats on the catch looks to be a nice one hope to see you with more photos of them now. I am still waiting on landing my first one.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kzoo
Commodore

Post by kzoo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:32 pm

congratulations! Doing better than most.

This is probably a small chance. I was at Outdoor Emporium the other week buying some gear and there was some guy asking me about what to use at the wallace in terms of floats and jigs, you wouldn't be that guy would you? I had a small white dog with me.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:01 am

What a great story...CONGRATS!!:geek:

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:36 am

Way to go!
"One more......."

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:54 am

Nice job! :cheers: I drove over the bridge this weekend & saw lots of cars there and some people watching over the side, maybe they were watching you!

Where's the report man!?
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:10 am

Congrats dude! You have officially caught the bug now! Keep up the good work.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:33 am

This is where it all starts.Pretty soon like the rest of us you'll have 3 more tackle boxes to add.Plus all the goodies that go in them.Good catch.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

MoreFish
Angler

Post by MoreFish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks all! I can't wait to get out again and give it another try.

kzoo, sorry wasn't me. Although I have been to the emporium, that store rocks!

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:41 pm

Looks like U are on your way to living up to your handle's name:cheers: Good first fish you have! Congrats on that first fish, just make sure you remember the details of it so when you get older no matter what you are doing you can reminisce back and make that first one all the more memorable. :thumright
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 pm

racfish wrote:This is where it all starts.Pretty soon like the rest of us you'll have 3 more tackle boxes to add.Plus all the goodies that go in them.Good catch.
Ah man i know what you mean, my new pole and real came today with new fishing coats and thats like my 20th rod and 20th reel and im not even 20 yet haha.

But congrats dude! The first of any fish is always the best. Good luck with catching more!
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:31 pm

I fish the wallace a lot, and that's all the more credit to you for getting a fish to bite under that bridge, they go lock jaw like crazy there. Congratulations! If I see you out there I'll tell you in person. And you got the bug now, no turning back!

donman
Warrant Officer

Post by donman » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:41 am

Congrats! Keep up the good work. There are several guys from that area up there, you should hook up with them so they can give you some more experience.

dmangler69
Petty Officer

Post by dmangler69 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:49 pm

You rock. I caught my first salmon in the rivers 2 years ago with my uncle. Welcome to a lifelong addiction.
takes one to know one