Dog attack!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Matt
Admiral

RE:Dog attack!

Post by Matt » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:42 am

tommytitan08 wrote:Mr. Lucky its probably better you didn't shoot. As a CCW carrier myself, most cities/towns such as the lovely city of Tacoma have ordinances against guns in public parks I don't know about in your area though. But if you did have to shoot and there are such ordinances in place hopefully the responding officer could see past the gun in the park thing and not charge you with a gun crime.
I think defending yourself when in fear for your life trumps "gun ordinance in park". If your life is in immediate danger the use of a handgun can be imperative to survival.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:48 am

Im gonna agree with Matt on that. Even if they want to cite you for discharging a fire arm... your still alive and not chewed up.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:01 pm

I'm with Matt on that as well. I've owned dogs my whole life. I had a big german shepherd/saint bernard that I would walk on my bicycle, he was big. He got attacked by a pit bull that was unleashed in somebody's yard. My dog was bigger, but his jaws didn't have anything on that pitt bull. I didn't have any weapons or anything to ghet the dog off, so I ended up beating it with my fists, but he would let go of my dog. I ended up having to give it a chop to the neck, which paralyzed it and it was put down later that day. My dog had bite marks and vet bills over 500 dollars because of people that train dogs to be mean. It's cruel, and the only thing that you can do is put them down.

This same situation has happened to me on rivers as well. I don't have a CCW permit or own a gun, but it's times like these that I wish I did. Once, a "river" guard dog bit me while I was in the river, this happened this season on the Wallace river. He was coming up to me while I was in the water, a big mean german shephard. His owner obviously hated fishermen because they were on his riverfront property all the time, but they aren't trespassing so long as they stay below the mark of "ordinary high water". The guard dog was vicious and would have attacked me if his owner had not been home and called him off. And then he yelled at me. That dog needs better training or needs to be put down.

The dogs in your circumstance were obviously abused and are going to hurt someone someday if not taken care of right away. I hope animal control got them, because there are too many of those abandoned vicious fighting dogs around these parts. I'd've shot 'em.

Now I always carry a machete around with me when I fish. One, it's good to get rid of old brush when you're the first fishermen on the trail in the season. Two, i'd've used it on that dog if he'd attacked. I wouldn't reccomend this for everyone though, on account of you could really screw yourself if the dog got hold of you, or you fell on the machete. But I've had training on weapons in martial arts, I'm a black belt so I feel like I'd be safer that way. But anytime animals attack, it's better to be safe than sorry. I'd've shot 'em.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Ive had a ccw for years and years. When I go fishing I carry my weapon and not always have my permit on me.I have never been asked by anyone to show it.Fishing ,Hiking,Berry Picking is when I pack.If I get in trouble for killing a dog that might have killed or mamed me oh well.If I shoot a bear that looks at me and growls oh well. In season or out of season if I feel threatened I'll shoot it.My life means more to me then some stupid park ,or govt rule.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:39 pm

And you don't need a 'concealed pistol license' for open carry. But I prefer to carry concealed so the anti-gun people don't have anything to cry about if they can't see it as you walk along in town, or fish along the river. When I rode the horse 'off road' I wore the bigger caliber, and it was open carry cowboy style.
Tom.

Interests: living

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:35 pm

I'm under the impression that city ordinances can prohibit open carry within incorporated areas. Yes or no?
Lee

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:36 pm

Seems I've heard that.
Tom.

Interests: living

MrLucky
Petty Officer

Post by MrLucky » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:56 pm

Thanks for all the input, gents. This whole episode has gotten me thinking about the responsibilities of ccw so, in a way, it was a good experience. When you pull your gun, you have to be clearly and fully aware of your surroundings (including intangibles such as local laws), and you may only have a split second to assess the situation. A peaceful evening alone on a river can change into a deadly encounter in the blink of an eye.

I was able to resolve it without firing my gun, but if the dogs had charged me, I was ready to put them down. (I had decided not to give a warning shot, since I was trying to avoid discharging a firearm in a central park.) My heart was pumping and I had a huge adrenaline rush, but thankfully I was able to think clearly, and find a path between killing - and being eaten.

As I said before, I am a dog lover, so I felt sorry for these mutts. They had obviously not been properly socialized by their owners (who, I hope, ended up paying fines and losing their dogs). Yet, killing a dangerous dog is preferable to letting it run free in a park that is often visited by children. Luckily Animal Control responded in record time and took the matter out of my hands. I wasn't too excited about the idea of being a dog killer.
There are two kinds of luck, and I got 'em both.