Weight selection

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
leif-liden
Petty Officer

Weight selection

Post by leif-liden » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:45 pm

I was wondering if its possible to have to much weight when river fishing and be missing bites because of it? anything advice helps
"A fishing pole is a stick with a hook at one end and a fool on the other."

scott080379
Commodore

RE:Weight selection

Post by scott080379 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:48 pm

I take it you are drift fishing?

yes you can but even if you are running 1oz cannon balls or pencil lead you should still feel bites/floss. are you feeling the weight tic along the bottom?

Toni
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Toni » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:50 pm

Yes. It will get stuck more often, too. You want it to barely nick the bottom as it drifts in the current. Unless you are plunking.
Look for Wannafish A Lure on FaceBook
He said, “Throw your net on the right side of the boat and you will find some.” When they did, they were unable to haul the net in because of the large number of fish.

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Sep 25, 2010 11:06 pm

Yea, you want it to drift naturally like scot says. Other wise your picking your weight up off the bottom and your corky end up swinging like a half moon infront of your weight until it gets up enough current pull to move your weight off the bottom. With less weight your weight will float at the same rate as your bait in a smooth line across the bottom. YOu can still feel takes a bites, but I've found that you're less likely to get them. If you can manage to pull it up off the bottom enough to keep it floating at the same rate as your corky you can get the same effect, but that end up being more like jigging than drifting. I find it works in eddys and really slow moving but deep pools that you need to get to the bottom of.

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:11 am

well the reason i ask is i find my self using more weight to get the distance but i guess that means i need a new rod and less weight

flinginpooh
Captain

Post by flinginpooh » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:32 am

If you just need distance then a longer rod and a well oiled reel. Longer rods will flip lighter weights out without a problem. Too much weight is no good at all. Your rod will be bouncing all over the place.
More fish please!

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:46 am

.... and a baitcater setup with a properly adjusted break will help immensely. I much prefer baitcasters when drift fishing.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:05 am

You would be surprised on how much a good reel even on a shorter rod will cast out lighter weight

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:52 am

i have a seven foot rod and i want an 8'6 or 9 but im stuck with this one till i can purchase a new one. so i guess i will just have to play around with different weights till i find one that works!

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:21 pm

What kind and kind and size of line are you using?

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:44 pm

seven foot diawa with 17lb trilene

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:31 pm

That mainline is too heavy for the setup you're using. Drift fishing dick nites and corkies I would run 10-12lb mailine with either an 8lb or 10lb leader. 15 lb mainline tops, but for silvers that's what I run pulling plugs. I'd say 12lb maxima crystal ivory or ultragreen would do you right.

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:52 pm

would that make it easier to cast farther if the line was lighter?

Blackmouth
Lieutenant

Post by Blackmouth » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:03 pm

leif-liden wrote:would that make it easier to cast farther if the line was lighter?
Yes.

Further casts can be attributed to a longer rod, a better reel, and lighter lb test line. As others have said, 17lb test is probably overkill and I'm not sure what good a 7' rod will do either.

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:18 pm

if you got a spinning reel than a quality lighter line will help a lot. with baitcasters line size doesnt help alot, i cast around the same distance with 20lb as i do with 12lb. also a lot of times distance is over rated, don't know how many times i've been out this year and everybody was casting over the fish to hit the far bank.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Sun Sep 26, 2010 4:34 pm

With spinning reels a lighter line lets it unwrap from the bail easier, thats why spinning reels have bigger eyes to allow the least amount of friction on your guides, when using a baitcaster a heavier and or stiffer line keeps it from coiling while you make a cast (smaller guides on the pole). my spinning rod is normally spooled with 8lb maxima or 10lb, either of these of all that i need for river fishing and lets me get a good long cast
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:38 pm

fear_no_fish wrote:normally spooled with 8lb maxima or 10lb, either of these of all that i need for river fishing and lets me get a good long cast
Agreed. Most NW guides recommend running 6-8lb line for pinks and and 8-12lb for coho and steelhead.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:10 am

Matt wrote:
fear_no_fish wrote:normally spooled with 8lb maxima or 10lb, either of these of all that i need for river fishing and lets me get a good long cast
Agreed. Most NW guides recommend running 6-8lb line for pinks and and 8-12lb for coho and steelhead.
I have changed my main line twice this year........and will change it again. I have two seprate spools so it makes it a little easier to change my mian out. I change mine to the river I am fishing, snags and what not.