Where ARE all the fish?

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Where ARE all the fish?

Post by kinghunter » Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:58 pm

I've been out numerous times and haven't been able to get one salmon, what is going on? What happen to all that hype about a biggest return this year of salmon and I'm not talking about pinks since that was last year. Fished in the rain, sun, early morning, afternoon, and late evenings with a big NADA. I been reading alot of you guys going through the same thing, what gives? I'm just venting my frustration :-({|= , usually by now I would already have stack of silvers and kings in my freezer, but insteald just been donating gears to the rivers. I hope it picks up soon, otherwise anyone want to by a nice 10ft certified pro lamiglass rod and nice baitcaster reel.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott080379
Commodore

RE:Where ARE all the fish?

Post by scott080379 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:09 pm

I know they are still killing the silvers out of westport and up in the straights the kings as well. Some say smaller than expected and otehrs say small a run bigger b run.

Who knows just got to keep trying

leif-liden
Petty Officer

Post by leif-liden » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:13 pm

i was talking to a friend of mine who works for WDFW and he said there is a school of 15,000 silvers ten miles off of snohomish county so in other words there coming! i say about another week or so
"A fishing pole is a stick with a hook at one end and a fool on the other."

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:49 pm

I believe you meant to say "where are all the fish?", haha, just messin with ya. My guess is the majority are still to come, but this rain we are getting should liven things up. Fish are showing up in systems around here in catchable numbers, but it is still on the slow side. Give it another 2 weeks and there should be silvers coming out our ears (hopefully).
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

salmonslayer117
Commander

Post by salmonslayer117 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 pm

Matt wrote:I believe you meant to say "where are all the fish?", haha, just messin with ya. My guess is the majority are still to come, but this rain we are getting should liven things up. Fish are showing up in systems around here in catchable numbers, but it is still on the slow side. Give it another 2 weeks and there should be silvers coming out our ears (hopefully).
Yup. Hopefully...
When times get tough, just keep on fishin'!!!

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:07 am

Matt wrote:I believe you meant to say "where are all the fish?", haha, just messin with ya. My guess is the majority are still to come, but this rain we are getting should liven things up. Fish are showing up in systems around here in catchable numbers, but it is still on the slow side. Give it another 2 weeks and there should be silvers coming out our ears (hopefully).
Thanks for the correction Matt. I've been told the Puke silvers usually show up in great numbers during the fair? Not sure if that is true and now it is raining today so maybe that might push more fish up. I think Toni mentioned there were fish holding down at Commencement Bay just waiting to go up the Pukey River. I hope that is true.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:06 am

kinghunter wrote:
I've been told the Puke silvers usually show up in great numbers during the fair?
Not something I would really go off but yes that is about right.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:15 am

kinghunter wrote:I've been out numerous times and haven't been able to get one salmon, what is going on? What happen to all that hype about a biggest return this year of salmon and I'm not talking about pinks since that was last year. Fished in the rain, sun, early morning, afternoon, and late evenings with a big NADA. I been reading alot of you guys going through the same thing, what gives? I'm just venting my frustration :-({|= , usually by now I would already have stack of silvers and kings in my freezer, but insteald just been donating gears to the rivers. I hope it picks up soon, otherwise anyone want to by a nice 10ft certified pro lamiglass rod and nice baitcaster reel.
Pick up a phone and call us. We've been slayin em bro :cheers: Not a lot, but we gettin em. :salut:
Our spot and you know which one :-$ :-$ , I went 2/7 bud. Both decent pigs. You are just missing out man, PM me or anyone of us or something, do it man. I don't want to be reading any of your reports of you asking another person who just landed a fish if you can put that fish on your line just so you can feel some action, please don't, that is awkward. A bunch of us are fishing this weekend. Call me or PM one of to get the details. We miss you. [drool] [drool] [flapper]
"One more......."

HOOKEDONFISHING
Lieutenant

Post by HOOKEDONFISHING » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm

Silvers in the Duwamish Kings in the Sko !!!!I 've been catching / fishing !!!!! Steel head in the Sky that have serious lock jaw ....

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:46 am

KH- Lots of fish. Took Bigsmooth to the Notellum honey hole. MUAH- It was a native, so he released it. We had action non-stop for about 2 hours before dark. Call me and I'll tell you the egg cure. Cure's lockjaw. I myself released a dark buck and had 2 takedowns and due to faulty line, 2 gorgeous pig Silvers swam away.
Attachments
BigSmooth_Notellum_River_Sept_7_2010.jpg
BigSmooth_Notellum_River_Sept_7_2010.jpg (22.94 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
"One more......."

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:02 am

The fish count at the Puyallup River hatchery (Voights Creek) is 160 Kings. The expected return was 8,970. My guess is they opened the river earlier this year because they knew there weren't many fish coming back and to give fisherman a shot at what there were. Same as was done on the Elliott Bay King fishery. They had low expectations on the return so they let us fish for what there were rather then close it. Then emergency closed the season a week earlier then the already shortened season when they realized the run was even smaller then expected. Total fish caught this year was what the count for a weekend used to be. Elliott Bay input came from the Fish and Game Cop and Fish Counter at the Alki boat launch on the last day of the season.

knotabassturd
Captain

Post by knotabassturd » Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:48 pm

"...due to faulty line, 2 gorgeous pig Silvers swam away."

Ahem you sure that was just faulty LINE LOL?#-o

Just kidding. Glad you guys got into them. [thumbsup]
"Its the coming back, the return which gives meaning to the going forth. We really don't know where we've been until we've come back to where we were. Only, where we were may not be as it was, because of whom we've become. Which, after all, is why we left." -Bernard Stevens Northern Exposure

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:43 am

One of my professors fishes Alaska every summer and is an Alaska res.. He said this year has been bad for salmon runs everywhere not just for the commercial guys but also for the sportsmen...
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:58 am

fishaholictaz wrote:One of my professors fishes Alaska every summer and is an Alaska res.. He said this year has been bad for salmon runs everywhere not just for the commercial guys but also for the sportsmen...
Thanks for the info fishaholictaz. I guess that does help a little bit, understanding this year is probably the worst fishing experience for everyone.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:32 am

kinghunter wrote:
fishaholictaz wrote:One of my professors fishes Alaska every summer and is an Alaska res.. He said this year has been bad for salmon runs everywhere not just for the commercial guys but also for the sportsmen...
Thanks for the info fishaholictaz. I guess that does help a little bit, understanding this year is probably the worst fishing experience for everyone.
If you are comparing your experience to the Pinks last year then yeah. But, man, all I can say is you are missing out. Don't miss out like you did with Steelhead :sunny: :sunny: . We are finding the fish in other spots bud.

This has to have crossed your mind, but maybe the ones who are catching, are keeping their lips sealed. :-$

Fyi. [flapper] [flapper] [flapper] [love] [love]
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"One more......."

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:30 am

Take a look at the creel reports for the sound. There was less than 20 silvers caught last week from Tacoma to Everet. Not very good numbers. I was talking to my neighbor, they just got back from Blain, WA. The commercial guys there says its been the best year in 100 years. Dont know if those fish are B.C. bound or what. Its almost getting a little too late.....

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Wed Sep 15, 2010 8:54 am

It's definitely late for Chinook. Even the ones I've seen in the Salt are browning up now. You can find chrome coho into October and November if you look in the right place.
Lee

kinghunter
Warrant Officer

Post by kinghunter » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Has anyone found anymore fish with the rain pouring? I've heard reports not alot of action going on even with all this rain.

jens
Commodore

Post by jens » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:26 pm

kinghunter wrote:Has anyone found anymore fish with the rain pouring? I've heard reports not alot of action going on even with all this rain.
I found a few fish at the end of my line saturday. I hope this helps. cuckoo cuckoo.
"One more......."