Salmon/ Steelhead fishing Eastside

A place for readers to talk about river fishing in Washington.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
sarelvd87
Angler

Salmon/ Steelhead fishing Eastside

Post by sarelvd87 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:29 pm

I am looking for some tips on where to go. I live in Spokane and do not own a boat. I have been trying to catch either of these fish for a couple years now and have only managed to catch one small steel head. I feel that i am using the proper methods but just cant find the right location. I know of a few spots off of the Columbia and the snake river down in tri cites that i have tried but just don't have any luck. That is a long drive to make probably 20 times for one fish a year. So if anyone has some advise for me as to where to go in my area that would be awesome. Maybe i need to realize that's just how this kind of fishing goes when you fish by yourself without a boat.

haludar
Angler

RE:Salmon/ Steelhead fishing Eastside

Post by haludar » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:59 pm

There are places to fish on the snake river between lower monumental to little goose and then above little goose to lower granite from shore. I usually fish either the confluence of the tucannon and the snake or around little goose and do well I had a close to full steelhead card last year. there are also time you can fish the same area for salmon but only for a short time during the spring run.

jbball50
Commander

Post by jbball50 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Have you tried the mouth of the Tucannon River on the Snake? I know you can walk off the road onto the rocky area and fish there. I'm guessing you could have a good chance of getting a steelhead shore fishing from there since it's right next to the mouth. I've also heard the Clarkston area is good but haven't been to that area to fish.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Clarkston area and the Clearwater are some of Washington's premier steelhead waters in the fall and winter!
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:45 pm

Matt wrote:Clarkston area and the Clearwater are some of Washington's premier steelhead waters in the fall and winter!
I agree with that. I have heard numerous reports of guys being very sucessful down there. And as others have said between Little Goose and Lower Granite is a good place to fish from shore. You can fish downstream of the hatchery at Lyons ferry and up by little goose dam has other good fishing spots.
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate

sarelvd87
Angler

Post by sarelvd87 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:00 am

Thanks for the info guys. As soon as the temp drops a little bit more. Hopefully i will have better luck this year. I will post reports every time i go. I drove by Lyons Ferry last weekend but it was dark so i couldn't see anything. Perhaps i will try there next.

ingi
Warrant Officer

Post by ingi » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:49 pm

Check out the regions section on steelheaduniversity.com and check out heller bar on the snake river. It gets pretty packed with shore fisherman but every single time I have went people do well from shore, but I'm in the same "boat" as you looking for good spots from shore! Good luck

sellis_414
Commander

Post by sellis_414 » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:22 pm

sarelvd87 wrote:Thanks for the info guys. As soon as the temp drops a little bit more. Hopefully i will have better luck this year. I will post reports every time i go. I drove by Lyons Ferry last weekend but it was dark so i couldn't see anything. Perhaps i will try there next.
I just spent 4 days down there... No steelhead. I caught some salmon though. If your targeting steelhead more upstream towards ID is better!
"If I'm not back in five minutes... just wait longer."

True Hero Rod Series Representative
Fetha Styx Associate