Colton Harris Moore.......... captured

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Colton Harris Moore.......... captured

Post by The Quadfather » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:41 pm

reigndawgs wrote:
racfish wrote:He'll probably escape again. Its like this whole thing has been set up by his family. They will cash in big time on this young idiots crime rampage. After serving 1-3 years max,he'll come out very wealthy.It just shows how greedy our society is becomming.
You have a point here. The law will keep him from profiting from his crimes, but his mom has already hired lawyers to pave the way for her to make money on it. He will NOT escape from prison here in Washington, but he will likely get out early on supervision and then abscond leaving some poor probation officer with 9 million felons on his case load as the scape goat. If he escapes from prison then that takes his fiendish genius to a whole new level and the probably will end up getting killed in a shoot out.
Nothing like this ever happened with Mary K. Letournough (sp?) and her boy Villi....now did it??:-" I'm not saying they got rich, but they sure have taken us all for a ride.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:02 am

When they bring him to Seatac-FDC I'll get his autograph for all of y'all that think hes a hero.lol..I'm now waiting for all the copycat teens that try following in his footsteps.In America "crime does pay".
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:05 am

racfish wrote:When they bring him to Seatac-FDC I'll get his autograph for all of y'all that think hes a hero.lol..I'm now waiting for all the copycat teens that try following in his footsteps.In America "crime does pay".
Interesting observation, given that prisons are filled with almost exclusively poor people.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 am

reigndawgs wrote:
racfish wrote:When they bring him to Seatac-FDC I'll get his autograph for all of y'all that think hes a hero.lol..I'm now waiting for all the copycat teens that try following in his footsteps.In America "crime does pay".
Interesting observation, given that prisons are filled with almost exclusively poor people.
Why do you think that is?

Aside from the obvious crime out of neccessity and uneducated people tend to commit crimes more than educated people reasons, I personally think it's because of how screwed up our legal system is. If you have money, you can get a good lawyer, and unless you're covered in blood, you're not going to jail.

What does it say about our society when lawyers are portrayed as heroes on TV and in movies? Our entire culture revolves around laws and litigation.

I think if we spent less money and time on legal crap we'd be better off. By crap, I mean a stupid little law or stupid little "technicality" for every damned breath we take. These people that get out of trouble because of technicalities really irritate me.
Lee

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:56 am

I've always thought we should make Judges accountable for the people that get little to no sentences at all. If a criminal re-offends after recieving an early release then that judge should be partially accountable for that crime that was commited.Im not sure on the fine tuning of these rules but I'm for holding lawyers and judges accountable for their actions.

About Harris-Moore .He never hurt anyone physical being, that we know of. All he did was really hurt peoples wallets.He does need punishment for his antics .He is only 19 and seemenly very immature. I dont think he needs to be locked up with hardened criminals.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:52 am

Interesting topic for sure. I like the idea of holding those who decide to release criminals early accountable for the crimes they commit, specifically right after they get out and especially those who commit crimes against persons. Although Harris never hurt anyone physically, he hurt many people in other ways. I know that those who experience someone breaking in to their home often feel violated. He also hurt many individuals financially by defacing / damaging the houses he entered and taking the property he took out of them, not to mention the damage he inflicted on the aircraft that he was unable to land proficiently. He also cost tax payers a fortune by the amount of time spent by hundreds of law enforcement personnel who spent hundreds of hours processing crime scenes and working on locating him. It will also cost a small fortune to prosecute him which will also affect tax payers. Not physically hurting someone doesn't reduce the severity of his or anyone else’s crimes for me personally. Hopefully being locked up for several years with hardened criminals will make him think twice about how he lives his life when he eventually gets out. Maybe he will choose to actually get a job and be a productive member of society as opposed to taking from others.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:25 am

I wouldve agreed with you on this till one of my own got in trouble and now serving time.I dont sleep well at night,I dropped 15 lbs in 2 weeks,I sit by my phone all day and night waiting to hear the phone ring thinking its him.I know he did wrong and in doing so you must pay for the crime.As far as the law enforcement spending a fortune trying to catch him Im more ashamed of those in charge of finding him then Colton himself. It was really a debotchery of our criminal system and the Island county system. Now that for 3 years Ive dealt with our legal system ,especially the Feds I cant help but think what a joke they are.Putting him in with the hard core guys will make him a target for being made more hard himself. Unfortunately our prison system is so corrupt its laughable.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:53 am

bionic_one wrote:
reigndawgs wrote:
Why do you think that is?

Aside from the obvious crime out of neccessity and uneducated people tend to commit crimes more than educated people reasons, I personally think it's because of how screwed up our legal system is. If you have money, you can get a good lawyer, and unless you're covered in blood, you're not going to jail.

What does it say about our society when lawyers are portrayed as heroes on TV and in movies? Our entire culture revolves around laws and litigation.

I think if we spent less money and time on legal crap we'd be better off. By crap, I mean a stupid little law or stupid little "technicality" for every damned breath we take. These people that get out of trouble because of technicalities really irritate me.
Very, very good point! A public defender almost guarantees you are going down the river, whereas a high priced lawyer gets you a lot better deal. The legal system certainly doesn't seem to be based on justice or rehabilitation, just a tangled mess of complicated laws that put us all the mercy of lawyers and judges.

Great discussion to all you guys and no personal attacks on each other's belief systems. I love it. We are all in the brotherhood of fishermen!

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:55 am

racfish wrote:I wouldve agreed with you on this till one of my own got in trouble and now serving time.I dont sleep well at night,I dropped 15 lbs in 2 weeks,I sit by my phone all day and night waiting to hear the phone ring thinking its him.I know he did wrong and in doing so you must pay for the crime.As far as the law enforcement spending a fortune trying to catch him Im more ashamed of those in charge of finding him then Colton himself. It was really a debotchery of our criminal system and the Island county system. Now that for 3 years Ive dealt with our legal system ,especially the Feds I cant help but think what a joke they are.Putting him in with the hard core guys will make him a target for being made more hard himself. Unfortunately our prison system is so corrupt its laughable.
Amen to that! My thoughts and prayers are with your child and your family.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm

Well I`m sure by now all or most of you heard. The fella`s he stole the sesna from and did 75,000$ worth of damage to don`t wish to press charges and forgive him because after all he is just a kid. Give me a break. If I or any of you were to steal someones plane they would prosecute us to the fullest extent. I understand he`s a kid but being a 19 year old shouldn`t change anything. He broke the law and knew he was. The kid`s smart. What is the system going to do with him when he get`s here to Washington. I said in a previous response to this thread he would get a couple years and only serve one. The way this is going he won`t serve any. Did he already write this book and produce the movie.

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:38 pm

His enabiler mother is starting the book deal. The movie will follow real soon.
Tom.

Interests: living

panfisher
Captain

Post by panfisher » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:26 pm

:thumbdown
Iamfishing wrote:i was hoping that he would not get caught,but at the same time its a good thing he was.i hope they make a movie about this kid for real
:thumbdown [thumbdn]

iPodrodder
Commodore

Post by iPodrodder » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:58 pm

racfish wrote:I've always thought we should make Judges accountable for the people that get little to no sentences at all. If a criminal re-offends after recieving an early release then that judge should be partially accountable for that crime that was commited.Im not sure on the fine tuning of these rules but I'm for holding lawyers and judges accountable for their actions.
I know he's not a judge, but this makes me think of Mike Huckabee commuting Maurice Clemmon's sentence.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:20 pm

You guys crack me up. He has been in custody for only a couple of days and you already have him free and making tons of money.[laugh]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 am

Just going by past history of the GREAT judicial system of Wa. State. :cheers:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

Interests: living

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:25 am

Amx wrote: Just going by past history of the GREAT judicial system of Wa. State. :cheers:
What history? Name a single example of a guy not doing any time for a mutli-million dollar string of property crimes.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:30 am

reigndawgs wrote:
Amx wrote: Just going by past history of the GREAT judicial system of Wa. State. :cheers:
What history? Name a single example of a guy not doing any time for a mutli-million dollar string of property crimes.
Just to name a few....Mike Mastro , Collocucio, Satiacum, Gary Ridgeway (got life not death) need I continue? The list is long.

reigndawgs
Commander

Post by reigndawgs » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

racfish wrote:
reigndawgs wrote:
Just to name a few....Mike Mastro , Collocucio, Satiacum, Gary Ridgeway (got life not death) need I continue? The list is long.
Mastro and Frank Colacurcio, I'll give you. But Satiacum was a product of Canada and Marlon Brando's misguided ways, not Washington. How does life in prison "pay" exactly? Don't get me wrong, I would be happy to personally execute Ridgeway but generalizing that "crime pays" in Washington doesn't hold water to me.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:45 am

racfish wrote:
reigndawgs wrote:
Rac, you forgot Christine Gregoire.......:-# :-"

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:17 am

Satiacum was only in Canada after he fled Puyallup. The Canucks sheilded him from being persocuted in the USA. Crime does pay is a way of expressing my beliefs that you can kill someone or toture them and get 3 years. Smoke a joint in public or sell a gram of Marijuana and get 7-10 You go figure. I know guys that have 10 DUIs and still driving today.What I'm saying is that in Wa state it pays or its not a harsh punishment for criminals. Maybe we read different newspapers. I think the punishmennt should fit the crime. You pull a gun and shoot ,Then you get punished with a bullet back.Crimes based off money ,I have worries about.Im broke anyhow.I think the Judges are too linient in punishing the criminals.Anyhow this topic can get draw some heat. You may think that crime in Wa State is so very fair thats your belief. Cool.I dont feel that way. Cool again.