Salmon Fishing Advice around the NW section of the San Juan Islands

Have questions about Saltwater areas, boats, gear or techniques? This is the place for them.
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Adam B.
Petty Officer

Salmon Fishing Advice around the NW section of the San Juan Islands

Post by Adam B. » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I was going to be in the NW section of the San Juan Islands on the weekend from July 15th to 18th to do some crabbing, but was looking for advice on areas to go salmon fishing close by. We will be staying on Sturart Island and looking for something close by (Turn Piont area, by Henry Island around Roche Harbor, ect.?). I have never fished these areas so any advice would be helpfull. Thank you all in advance.

Adam

wintersteelhead
Warrant Officer

RE:Salmon Fishing Advice around the NW section of the San Juan Islands

Post by wintersteelhead » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:38 pm

The shoreline close to Lime Kiln Point has, in the past, been a path for the migratory kings. I have fished it twice since it opened and found tons of bait but no fish yet.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:26 pm

I don't see him post around too much as of late but try and contact Rollin With Rolland, he is a member from up there and is very knowledgeable about fishing up there.

Good luck. There are several points off of Orcas Island that are good go to's including Pt. Lawrence, try to find a "fish-n-map" if you can, they highlight most of the really good producing areas.

Lemme know if you are not familiar with these maps, they can be found in most good marine stores and I know LFS in downtown B'ham has them for area 7.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Rollin with Rolland
Captain

Post by Rollin with Rolland » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:35 am

Should be some great crabbing Adam B. I do fish that area quite a bit, but that is mainly for bottomfish. I have never actually fished up there for salmon, and still consider myself a greenhorn when it comes to salmon fishing. I do know this: the area7 salmon season is off to a slow start (skunked on the opener for me), BUT a few of the guys I have heard/talked to say give it a couple weeks and then start evaluating the run. Sounds like more Blackmouth (resident) being caught right now, with hopefully the migratory Kings showing up SOON. By the 15th, it may heat up. I would listen to wintersteelhead, the lime kiln area is a know spot, but a little father than you were suggesting. I would think Turn point may hold some bait, and fish. Anywhere along Haro strait should have kings, provided the bait is around. And it sounds like no shortage of bait this year. Just gotta experiment. Here, if you haven't checked this out, very helpful.

online noaa charts

#18432 and #18433 are that area.

Good luck, if you get anything worth reporting, let us know!
I have caught many fish in my life. The most exciting? The next one.....

Adam B.
Petty Officer

Post by Adam B. » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:57 am

I will look at getting one of those "fish-n-map" for the area. I will probably try close to Sturat first to see if the bait is around, then try to venture farther out. I would think Lime Kiln might be as far as I would go, or the wife would like to go. I have been crabbing near Stuart for the past few years on opening weekend and have always done very good with large males and having to through many back after getting our limits. After crabbing localy this weekend, it would be a nice change.

Adam B.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:45 am

I have always found that if an area is open for salmon mooching herring or trolling plug cuts usually brings a hit if fish are around.The area if I'm not mistaken is jagged rock near the bottom as I 've seen on depth imagery.To me you cant go wrong with herring for salmon.Id be leary of using downriggers in a area like the San Juans. Just my 2 cents worth.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.