Opinions??

Discuss your favorite recipes and fish eating ways...
fishinator
Petty Officer

Opinions??

Post by fishinator » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:39 pm

I had an idea today and would like to know what you all think. My wife and I were talking about how many fish we catch in a summer and thought it would be a good idea to give some of them to people that are hungry or just want fish but don't have the resources to catch that many. We don't keep fish we don't use, but sometimes it is hard to find people that want them seeing as we could eat fish three times a week in the summer and not eat all of the ones we catch. Is it illegal to post on Craigslist? Is this completely ridiculous, or would this be a way to do something that we all love and help people that need it? Even if ony one meal...

Let me know what you think

Thanks

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

RE:Opinions??

Post by Mike Carey » Sun Apr 25, 2010 10:46 pm

I would suggest looking into food donation sites. I did this very thing in the 80s with the Sisters of Providence foodbank in Seattle for excess steelhead I would catch. They were very grateful and it felt good knowing it wasn't going to waste. I'm sure different organizations will have their own rules as to donated meat/fish products, but I'm betting some of them will take fish. Very commendable of you to consider this option.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

Big D

Post by Big D » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:59 pm

Walk into any local Senior Center and you'll have a line a mile long.
I have a few elderly neighbors and they are always very thankful for some fresh fish.
Bragging may not bring happiness, but no man having caught a large fish goes home through an alley.
Fair Winds & Following Seas.
Big D

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:50 am

Big D wrote:Walk into any local Senior Center and you'll have a line a mile long.
I have a few elderly neighbors and they are always very thankful for some fresh fish.
I also have a couple retired neighbors (sisters) - it's kind of fun, each time I bring them fish - I get to hear stories about how they used to go fishing with their dad and how much they miss fresh fish. And since they live on a fixed income - anything helps.
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:27 am

I think anytime you can help others out, it's a good thing. Nicely done!

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:58 am

The only reason I could see not doing this is liability. Its a generous thought but it only takes one person trying to sue you for making a person sick.Id find out what liabilities you could have before putting it on CL.I'd do what Mike said and talk to a foodbank. What you think is the proper way to freeze may not be for health standards. JMO.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishinator
Petty Officer

Post by fishinator » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:17 pm

Thanks for all the input. I'll do a little more research and see what I can come up with.

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:41 am

When ever you give wild game or game fish to another party there are a few things you need to do.
The State requires some info.
#1 Name of the person who harvested the game.
#2 date it was harvested.
#3 Licence number from the fishing or hunting licence of the harvester.
#4 location of the harvested game.
Should the WDFW check and this information is not with the game, the holder of said game is subject to a fine.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

Return to “Culinary Delights - Fish Recipes”