transducer wire

Talk about your boats, trailers, and boating specific topics here. Sponsored by Life Proof Boats.
fishinator
Petty Officer

transducer wire

Post by fishinator » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:37 pm

I think I messed up. I hooked up and used the new fish finder I talked about in another post today. After getting home I thought I would get rid of about 15 ft of extra cable on both the speed/temp wire and the transducer wire. I figured that just like anything else electrical you could cut and just match up the color coded wires. Well, I did that and haven't been able to test it yet but I'm a little worried a made a big mistake. Anybody have experience with this? What to do if it doesn't work correctly? And yes I know, I should have researched BEFORE I cut the wires. Thanks

FishingFool
Captain

RE:transducer wire

Post by FishingFool » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:43 pm

well, it's too late now, but you should be fine as long as it didnt have power at the time of the cutting. To prevent shorts.

fishinator
Petty Officer

Post by fishinator » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:53 pm

the speed and temp seem to be working fine, and I don't know what a fish finder will read when it's not in the water but the depth blinks 0.0 ft Is that normal?

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:20 pm

Call the manufacturer or a service center in your area. In all the units I have had they clearly stated DO NOT SHORTEN THE TRANSDUCER CABLE. My layman's guess would be that shortening it may have an effect on the signal going to the transducer and returning to the unit. It may change the resistance of the cable. Worst case scenario, you will have to buy a new transducer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:17 pm

After reading the post, out of curiosity, I did some digging around on the boating forums, and found this discussion in The Hull Truth Boating Forum. The post was, "Cutting A Transducer Cable"........

Default Cutting transducer cable
I was a professional marine electronics tech and spliced many cables that were cut by inexperienced installers(read: boat owners).
It can be done IF the integrety of the shielding is maintained, and the person has good soldering skills.
A properly tuned VHF antenna is 50 ohms, and if the cable is good, the radio sees a 50 ohm load, regardless of lenght, however, dont shorten it below 7 feet (2 wavelenghts).
the transducer cable, is a tuned circuit with the element and cable working together.
Some shortening and lenghtening can be done but within reason. For instance, if its 25 feet, I would not cut it past 15 or lenghten it past 40.
Now, if you have to cut a plug off to run the wires, Make sure that all shielded wires stay that way, not even unshielded for an inch. Does 2 bad things: 1. Screws up the impedance match. 2. can admit stray interference to the unit.
The impedance matching thing is somewhat like having a hose with water flowing thru it. If the hose is proper, the water flows smooth and with little resistance. having the shielding damaged is like a kink in the hose. Some water gets thru, but it is not right.
As said above, if you cut the depth cable, have someone who can solder handy.
My sounder came with 30' of transducer wire and there is 15' coiled up and taped. tell you something?
Captharv

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:44 am

I was an electronics tech in the USAF and made many an RF cable that was tuned to electrical length, so critical it amounted to trimming as little as 1/16" to get the desired wavelength. Pilots don't like instrument landing systems put them anywhere other than the runway!

Anyway, I did the same as the guy in the section Marc posted, my extra 'ducer cable is in a neat coil hidden under the gunwale too. I know of no sounder mfr that says it's ok to cut the cable, but if you follow the specific guidelines in the quote, you might luck out. Worst case scenario you'll have to get a new 'ducer.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:41 am

As a former radio and navigation tech in the USMC, I have to second what Hewsfisher mentioned. A tuned RF circuit is not something that you want to tamper with in any way. The shielding is also very important if you have any other wiring running next to your transducer cable as it acts as a noise shield as well. If it does work, I'd still keep an eye out for a replacement cable as unless the splices are soldered and the integrity of the connections are protected from any type of moisture, you'll eventually run into issues.

BentRod
Admiral

Post by BentRod » Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:24 am

fishinator,
I've been looking (unsuccesfully) for some used cables for a Humminbird that I have and ran across this last week on the Seattle CL. At the bottom of the ad he says he has an old Eagle power cable and transducer. In case you're interested. If so, make sure it would match your unit. FYI.

craigslist ad
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

fishinator
Petty Officer

Post by fishinator » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 pm

ok that was really stupid...Anyone now where I can get a new transducer for this thing? I responded to the craigslist ad and heard nothing back. Anyone else have any ideas?

Also this thing is pretty old anyway. What's the best fish finder I can get for $250 or less if I can't find a new transducer?

Thank you

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:54 pm

Check at the White Elephant on North Division. He has some real good prices on fish finders. I bought all three of mine there. Besides, it keeps the money in our community.

Maury
Petty Officer

Post by Maury » Sat May 01, 2010 6:20 pm

Fishinator,
give the folks at Portland Marine and Electronics a call
503-922-3259
They may be able to help you out.

Nepcobob
Angler

Post by Nepcobob » Sun May 02, 2010 10:36 am

Fishinator - You may be OK, don't know until you try it. I don't think the sonar units use RF frequencies where the impedance matching is much more critical. I think the signals are lower frequency. (I could be all wrong, I'm just an elelctrical engineer who loves to fish.)

When you cut the cable, was there a shield around the wires- either a braided wire mesh or copper tape or a aluminum/mylar tape? If so, make sure you replace the shield and solder the two ends back together to make a continuous shield. There may be a seperate shiled on teh temperture sensor wires and on the sonar transducer wires. I recommend insulating the whole splice with heat shrink tubing. Check at radio shack for some shileding and the heat shrink.

Good luck. Don't panic!

Trent Hale
Commander

Post by Trent Hale » Sun May 02, 2010 2:20 pm

I just had to buy a new transducer for wide side and have an extra transducer that works great . What kind of fish finder is it? The one I have is for a humminbird 700 series. On the box it dose say not to cut the cable to the transducer.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun May 02, 2010 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Are you hung up again!

HAWG HUNTER!

YellowBear
Captain

Post by YellowBear » Mon May 03, 2010 7:04 am

Not sure if they are still there but check out Fred's appliance on division.
They spliced a co-ax cable for me one time.
YellowBear
Life member N.A.F.C.
Angling Masters international
Good luck and be safe

fishinator
Petty Officer

Post by fishinator » Mon May 03, 2010 12:22 pm

it's an old EAgle Magna II plus

zen leecher aka Bill W
Captain

Post by zen leecher aka Bill W » Mon May 03, 2010 1:06 pm

Check the Lowrance home page and see if they support this unit. Might get one from them.