In search of a Float Tube ...

Have extra equipment just lying around? Need a larger boat or want to sell your current one? Post an ad in our Classifieds forum for swift results. Please, private parties only, no businesses (business please e-mail WL.com for advertising options.
Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

In search of a Float Tube ...

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:48 am

Unfortunately a boat is out of reach for me right now but I would like to get a float tube to be able to explore the lakes a little better. From the research I have been doing I think one similar to the Caddis Navigator II is what I am looking for, but if someone has other ideas with their experiences I am always open to suggestions as I am just beginning the adventure into bass fishing. If anyone has one they are looking to find a good home for let me know ... Thanks!
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:In search of a Float Tube ...

Post by The Quadfather » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:44 am

You can shop for float tubes on Craig'slist all day here is a link

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/sp ... maxAsk=max

For some reason that link will only take you to a search in CL for "Float" When you get there just search under float tube.

The one in Tacoma for $150.00 looks nice, high out of the water, etc.
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:17 pm

I just bought a new "Outfitter XLT "from costco for 299.00.it has oars transom for a motor,a hard seat with a back and a anchoring system and a fold down wheel for transporting it.For 300 you cant go too wrong.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:18 pm

I will take a look. A question .. do most use waders also when in the float tube? Thanks!
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:26 pm

I would hate to wear waders and have them fill up on me.So far I took my pontoon out once.Im now looking for fins for my feet.Rowing is good but a lil extra cardiovascular workout is good also.In the winter I would think about the breathable type waders.Just my .02
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:28 pm

Good thoughts ... well worth the .02.

Roc
Petty Officer

Post by Roc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:09 pm

I always wear waders, as long as they are breathable. Having fins on your feet is a huge bonus.

Roc
Petty Officer

Post by Roc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:10 pm

oh ya, if you can afford the extra dough. Go with a pontoon boat rather than a float tube. you have ores and you sit much higher in the water.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 pm

That was my idea Roc.I liked being out of the water.The oars on my Outfitter are stainless steel too which I thought would be good.Plus my toon holds a Min Kota style motor and has a rack to keep your battery out of the water.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:08 pm

Wow .. thanks for the info and insight. it gives me a bit to think about before I commit to a purchase.

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:25 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Wow .. thanks for the info and insight. it gives me a bit to think about before I commit to a purchase.
Well you'll need to assess your needs. A quick google search on the subject will leave you with copious amounts of information]Fish Cat 4 Deluxe [/i](red float tube with inflatible seat (only way to go)) and you can get this from Cabelas for around $219.99 with free shipping. This tube is flat out awesome. Another, the ODC 420 is very well built; many a members on this site have the ODC 420 and love their tube. This is available at last check at theSportsman's Warehouse for $149.99 w/ a lifetime warranty if I recall (double check that). For waders -- well they all leak at some point. You get what you pay for. Dan Bailey's and Simm's are at the top of my list, with the DBs coming ahead of Simms in pure performance. Check them out and decide for yourself. Best of luck and let us know what you do choose to do (what route to go). The internet should help with any research decisions you need to make. I just purchased a Stylus SW 1030 and did about 10 days of research before pulling the trigger. I liked the underwater ability to 33 feet and what not, so research and talking to a local fly shop or retailer like the Sportsman's Warehouse is a great way to go. KTK
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Kevin K
Warrant Officer

Post by Kevin K » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:21 am

For the most part, I agree with Kutthroatkilla. Assess your needs, decide if you will primarily be fishing still or moving water and go from there. I also agree with most of his recommendations. However, if you want a tube that is also whitewater rated (at least according to their website) look at the Freestyle H3 from Northforkoutdoors/Dave Scadden. It is pricey, but a great tube especially for not so small people (such as me). Best of luck in your search.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:20 pm

Bisk1tSnGraV wrote:Unfortunately a boat is out of reach for me right now but I would like to get a float tube to be able to explore the lakes a little better. From the research I have been doing I think one similar to the Caddis Navigator II is what I am looking for, but if someone has other ideas with their experiences I am always open to suggestions as I am just beginning the adventure into bass fishing. If anyone has one they are looking to find a good home for let me know ... Thanks!
mike carey had afloat tube 4 sale .
check out http://creekcompany.com
they have an entry level pontoon (odc classic)that is a great buy and free shipping..
i think there are $219.00 right now.
i have two of the odc classic's a they are a lot of fun. they also make odc616 kick boat (pontoon no oar locks) that joe's carrys its $169.00. get started with very little investment. if you dont like them sell um and upgrade. also check here im modifying one of my boats.
http://www.washingtonlakes.com/forum/ya ... ntoon.aspx[/url]

:viking:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Fri Aug 15, 2008 2:11 pm

The main reason I did it through Costco cuz in their .com site it was free shipping and Costcos retun policies are the best.This wekend will be my first real fishing test on my new toon.I hope to draw first blood ,and hopefully it wont be mine this time.

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:35 pm

Also do you have a truck or a car? I have a car so its easy to just throw the tube in there and go. If you have a truck I say go with a pontoon. You can check out Joes down in Puyallup or sports authority in tacoma. Shy away from float tubes that look like a donut. Look more for something that is horseshoe shaped. I go with neoprene waders and flippers. The flippers to get are the flexible diver/swimming ones. Don't do like me and get the CADDIS ones with are like kicking with 2x4s on your feet. IT SUCKED. Good luck man

AaronE
Commander

Post by AaronE » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:17 pm

RB wrote:Also do you have a truck or a car? I have a car so its easy to just throw the tube in there and go. If you have a truck I say go with a pontoon. You can check out Joes down in Puyallup or sports authority in tacoma. Shy away from float tubes that look like a donut. Look more for something that is horseshoe shaped. I go with neoprene waders and flippers. The flippers to get are the flexible diver/swimming ones. Don't do like me and get the CADDIS ones with are like kicking with 2x4s on your feet. IT SUCKED. Good luck man
I have the big black chunky Caddis fins, and I discovered the secret to using them - wear scuba shoes and then put the fins on over top of them. You can get scuba shoes for like 10 bucks at Walmart or Target. They work perfectly if you're wearing neoprene waders or just swimming trunks. The scuba shoes prevent them from slipping off your feet (without waders) and prevent them from slipping off your ankle (wearing waders).

Also, pay $5 and get a set of fin keepers. It's a cord that fits around your calf and then attaches to the clips on your fins. If the fins do slip off your feet, this prevents them from sinking to the bottom. Definitely a smart investment if you decide to go with fins.
Puget Sound Float Tube Club
http://www.psftc.com
=====================
2010 Bass: 2
2009 Bass: 80
Year's Best: 2# 3oz
WA Best: 6# 4oz
PB: 12# 7oz (GA)

kutthroatkilla
Commander

Post by kutthroatkilla » Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:17 pm

Kevin K wrote:However, if you want a tube that is also whitewater rated look at the Freestyle H3 from Northforkoutdoors. It is pricey, but a great tube.
Great recommendation. Hard to cover it all. :bounce: Good addition Kevin K. You're "armed" with the info you need now to perhaps make an informed decision. Always look at the warranty (Creek Company is quality) and the ODC 420 really does get my vote. Aaron E's added information is superb regarding fins. Above all, have fun, enjoy, don't stress, and hook some monsters for us! Bests to you.
KTK
Get with the Fast Money Bros

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Just return from a camping trip with the family down around Randle. A great trip as it was our first family vacation. It is so cool to come back and see all the information now to sift through. I plan on fishing mainly the lakes in the area ... Spanaway, Alder, Tanwax, etc. With that I dont plan on taking a tube to the rivers. I have a minivan so transport hopely would be pretty good. Thanks again to all the help with all of this. I feel it is going to make it much easier in the decision making process ahead. Though I would love to go to a pontoon, I think right now a float tube is going to be the direction to go .. plus will be easier to pass such through my Chief Financial Officer, wife that is.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:40 am

Over the weekend my best friend surprised me with an early birthday present ... tube, waders and fins. I have not yet put it on the water, seems it wanted to downpour all yesterday. I am hoping to get some time to take it out and practice a little over the week. Thanks to everyone for their help and great information!

RB
Warrant Officer

Post by RB » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Stretch out the hammies!!!!! First time I went out I caught a nasty leg cramp and almost capsized. haha luckily it was at a secret location and not at a public lake.