looking for 1.5 hp outboard

Have extra equipment just lying around? Need a larger boat or want to sell your current one? Post an ad in our Classifieds forum for swift results. Please, private parties only, no businesses (business please e-mail WL.com for advertising options.
manilowgirl
Angler

looking for 1.5 hp outboard

Post by manilowgirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:41 pm

dont laugh i am serious--need one for my inflatable--new to this and couldn't afford a real boat, but hey this one works--except trolling motors use 12v and can't last all day and troll around.. so looking for what it can take..any suggestions? O:) and don't say get a real boat...i will eventually

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Re: looking for 1.5 hp outboard

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:43 pm

There are some small horse power motors on Craig's list

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/ss ... maxAsk=500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://seattle.craigslist.org/search/ss ... maxAsk=500" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

2.5 hp

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/boa/3937380670.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tom.

Interests: living

manilowgirl
Angler

Post by manilowgirl » Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:47 pm

thanks for input but boat can only handle 1.5 or smaller..no idea why they couldn't make it to handle more.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:40 pm

What is your budget? I bought an inflatable Intex Mariner 4 boat earlier this year and ran it with a 55lb thrust 12V electric trolling motor and full size marine battery (group 24). That worked pretty good, but I wanted to see how it would work with a little gas kicker on it. After watching a bunch of youtube videos, I bought a 5hp Nissan despite my boat only being rated for 3hp max. It would troll ok, but it was downright sketchy under any kind of moderate power. The outboard would pull the whole back end of the boat down in the water. The other issue was it was way to difficult to troll slowly with the gas motor, not to mention exhaust fumes and noise. I would recommend sticking with a 30 - 36lb thrust electric trolling motor and a 32ah battery for the ideal low weight system that will still give you 4-5 hours of trolling on the lowest speed setting. If your boat can handle the additional 20-30lbs, it is worth it to step up to a group 24 deep cycle marine battery that will give you LOTS more trolling time and allow you to even buzz around at full speed occasionally as well.

If you do decide to go with a gas motor, definitely stay within the manufacturer's horsepower guidelines. I ended up buying a 12' aluminum jon boat so I am going to be listing my Mariner 4 for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

manilowgirl
Angler

Post by manilowgirl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:35 pm

I have the Excursion 5 Intex boat and believe it or not they only say a 1.5 hp motor. I have a trolling motor but when going out on lake (American) can only go from the boat launch to Bills Boat House and then back with having only 6% battery remaining--of course it was a little windy and we were fighting the wind both ways and did make it but the deep cell battery was just about gone. I dont have the ability to tow a boat around or I would.

Cascadian
Petty Officer

Post by Cascadian » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:01 am

Like I said, you would be best suited to add a full size deep cycle marine battery (group 24 or 27). I can't imagine you using that up in one day. I run a large group 27 battery and troll my 55lb thrust trolling motor for 5-6 hours straight and there is 75% battery remaining.

hewesfisher
Admiral

Post by hewesfisher » Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:54 am

I assume you have the optional motor mounting bracket for your inflatable. None of the major outboard manufacturers currently produce a 1.5hp motor, only 2.5 and up. The only 1.5hp outboard I could find is essentially a weedeater motor mounted to an outboard shaft and costs almost 4 times what your inflatable did new - http://www.smalloutboardengines.com/2-cycle-15hp.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cascadian is giving you some good advice, either get a more powerful and efficient electric motor and a bigger battery, or be prepared to row. One note on batteries, please do not buy one based on "group size" as it only defines the case dimensions and post layout. The single most important thing to look for when buying a battery for your application is reserve capacity or amp hours. Buy the battery with the most reserve capacity (or amp hours) you can afford regardless of case size. ALWAYS use either a true deep cycle battery or a dual purpose battery, NEVER use a car battery. To get the most out of your electric, you must fully charge your battery between uses.
Phil

'09 Hewescraft 20' ProV
150hp Merc Optimax
8hp Merc 4-stroke
Raymarine DS600X HD Sounder
Raymarine a78 MultiFunctionDisplay
Raymarine DownVision
Raymarine SideVision
Baystar Hydraulic Steering
Trollmaster Pro II
Traxstech Fishing System
MotorGuide 75# Thrust Wireless Bow Mount

fischer
Petty Officer

Post by fischer » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:08 am

How about a 2 hoarse evinrude that needs a little tune up, for $75.00 Fischer: 206-772-1259