For Sale--2 New Quantum Tour Edition USA HSX Walleye Rods

Have extra equipment just lying around? Need a larger boat or want to sell your current one? Post an ad in our Classifieds forum for swift results. Please, private parties only, no businesses (business please e-mail WL.com for advertising options.
fishing collector
Captain

For Sale--2 New Quantum Tour Edition USA HSX Walleye Rods

Post by fishing collector » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:28 pm

I am selling a couple of Quantum Tour Edition rods that I got a few years ago, to go Walleye fishing.... but I never went!
Both are Brand New with the plastic still on the handles and with hang tags. These rods are a Classic rod that are still used by top Walleye Fishing Pro's today.
These Rods are for sale at $70.00 each. I would rather sell these both together for $130.00. I paid about $200.00 for them.The Hang Tag says..."Walleye Grade, Made for trolling" ...Endorsed by Mike McCelland, #1 Walleye fisherman.
Quantum Tour Edition USA, Hand Crafted in the USA
Made with HSX Hi Strain Graphite and Fuji Guides and Seats

Rod Number: TC 796FW 7' 9" 1 piece
Medium Heavy Casting or Trolling Rod
10-25lb Line
1/4-1 1/2 oz lure

Now a little bit about Mike McCelland and his endorsement of this rod...written up in "Walleye Central" Web site....
Mike McCelland is a Freshwater Hall of Fame Inductee. He has 23 Top Walleye Tournament Wins, 19 Second Places, and 48 more top 10 places. The has won more than $500,000.00 on the FLW Walleye Pro Tour.He is the author of "Walleye Trouble Shooting" ....a classic must have, Walleye book!

This is what Mike has to say about Trolling for Walleye.....

"What's all the fuss about long rods? Other than a boat that floats, an engine to get me there and electronics to show contour and fish, the one thing that helps me catch more fish is my 7-9' -9' foot walleye rods.
The most obvious place to use a long rod is when trolling. Trolling is simply running a bait past scattered fish. The object of trolling is to present a bait to as many fish as possible. Many times I'll see anglers trolling with two rods over the transom and a rod over each side. These fishermen will only cover an area of about 12-feet wide behind the boat. By using a long rod set out on each side of the transom, you can cut a swath about 25-feet wide and cover twice the area.

If you put your bait past twice as many aggressive fish, it is just logical that your chances of catching more fish will increase dramatically. Trolling is a numbers game, the angler who places his bait in the strike zone in front of more fish is going to catch more. Long rods spread baits allowing twice the coverage and twice the fish.

Another place where long rods can make a difference is while drifting. The same principle still applies as in trolling. While wind drifting or controlled drifting on structure, don't set four rods over the side of the boat and settle for covering an area of 15 feet wide with your drift. Put a long rod out off the bow and another out the stern. This will allow you to cover over twice the water, or over 30 feet. By using old math or a calculator, it all computes the same; cover twice the area and catch twice the fish.

You should also use a long rod as your second rod. In most states, two rods are allowed. Some states may permit three while some allow an unlimited number. Minnesota only allows the use of one.

When you have the opportunity to use two rods, you'll quickly realize that two rods are harder to handle than one. Many fishermen are much better off fishing with one and concentrating on that one rod. My suggestion is to learn to use a primary rod which is the rod in your hand. Give it 95 percent of your attention. Whether rigging, jigging or using a bottom bouncer, your primary rod deserves all your attention. If you choose to use a second rod, use a long rod and rig it safe.

What I call "rigging safe," is very simply rigging your second rod so it doesn't cause problems. In other words, rig it so it doesn't snag. When I'm using a long rod as a second or dead rod, here's how I rig it. I tie on a Lite Bite bottom bouncer, which is a wire weight system that's almost snag free because only the wire touches the bottom. Attached to the bottom bouncer is a four or five-foot leader with a plain hook or a floating jig head. A floating jig head will keep the bait off the bottom and allow you to keep bait in the fish zone without becoming snagged.

Because your second or dead rod is in a rod holder and not in your hand, it must be visually fished. The big advantage of long rods for walleyes is that they are forgiving and easy to read. You'll learn very quickly that if you snag, long rods will gently bend at a constant speed. This generally allows plenty of time to swing the rod back behind the snag and free it. In shallow water you can actually reach the length of the rod into the water and most times work your bait out of the rocks or off a branch.

With a long rod, you can also read when a fish is on. The rod is very soft and gentle, and the fish won't find stiff resistance as the rod slowly bends. When this happens, the angler has time to reach the rod and set the hook. You'll be amazed as how many fish you can catch with the long rod in a holder!

Long rods will put the walleye odds in your favor. Even though an eight or nine-foot rod may not fit the image of what most fishermen want to purchase, it is by all means a "good" walleye rod. If you happen to have a chance to check out a professional walleye tournament anglers' boat, I'd be willing to bet every one has at least one long rod.

Rod selection is often confusing for all fishermen including me with all the high-tech terminology like IM-6's, IM-7's, HSX's 40-50-60 million modulus of graphite and so on. There are so many rod choices that trying to select one can be overwhelming without applying a little common sense. When selecting a rod, the most important thing is to realize you're not just buying a fishing rod, you're selecting an instrument to perform a particular function.

Selecting the appropriate fishing rod is no different from selecting the proper tool to repair your car. You must first identify the basic functions you expect your rod to perform for a particular fishing technique. To recognize these basics is not always easy. Choice is often clouded with sales hype, price, promises to catch more fish and "what kind of rod your buddies use."

Mike McCelland's " PERSONAL CHOICES FOR TROLLING RODS"

"My formula for rod selection is simple. Choose rods one at a time for a particular technique. Only then can you identify the characteristics you need for a rod - design, length and action. When these key parts are addressed with common sense, rod selection becomes easy."

Rods for trolling....
"When selecting a trolling rod a bait casting rod is an obvious choice. Choose a medium heavy rod that can handle a husky bait-casting reel and is stiff enough to handle all the trolling paraphernalia including Off-Shore planer boards drop weights, lead-core line and deep-diving lures. Yet, it is very important that the rod tip has plenty of action when a fish hits, allowing for an automatic hook-set even while the rod is still in the rod holder."

"A long rod is the real key when trolling. The length not only allows you to spread rods out to cover more water, but also lets you elevate the rod's tip as high as possible, which is a major advantage with trolling techniques that deal with planer boards and skis. Another consideration is that you visually fish these rods; in other words, the rods will be in rod holders and not in your hands. The longer the rod, the easier it is to read and the more time you have to react.'"

Mike's Personal Trolling Choice ...Quote;
"Don't forget how you're going to be using this rod and all the equipment it could be towing. A medium heavy trolling rod offers a uniform bend from tip to handle. This allows the entire rod to respond once a fish hits and offers maximum hooking ability while still in the rod holder. My personal choice is the 7'9" Quantum Tour Edition TC796FW.'"
These are 8' rods with packaging and will cost a bit more to ship..ping me for answers to any questions, Steve
Last edited by fishing collector on Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Price reduction

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.

fishing collector
Captain

RE:For Sale--2 New Quantum Tour Edition USA HSX Walleye Rods

Post by fishing collector » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:33 pm

I will lower the price to $130.00 OBO for both and Kick in a couple of new Cabelas rod covers. If you want to get just one rod...that's ok...$70.00 ea....I paid $200.00 for them. ...They are really nice rods. I would think they would work well for muskies also.

Please leave a message and I will get back to you as soon as possible. If you need a picture I can do that also.... They look like a nice new maroon casting sticks with cork handles.
Thanks, Steve

Fly Fishing is the art of attaching a fake bug to a line and relying on the appropriate manipulation of the rod to deceive the fish into eating a sharp steel hook covered with feathers and fur.