Any one from the Kanasa area can explain the lakes?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
kantill
Warrant Officer

Any one from the Kanasa area can explain the lakes?

Post by kantill » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:01 pm

I am traveling with my family and we are in the Kansas area for a couple days so I got a fishing license and wanted to do some fishing. The issue is not amount of fish just the water ways are soo brown and dirty and I was hoping that some can explain why. It was so dirty that I didn't keep a single fish in fear of the taste. So any ways just wanted to known if it is normal or just the time of year or what? I can tell you that it wasn't like this in the southwest where I grew up.
Need tech support? I can Help!
http://www.crossloop.com/KellyAntill

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

RE:Any one from the Kanasa area can explain the lakes?

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:06 pm

Well Kelly, I believe that is the "norm" for a mid-west lake. I spent the early years of my life in South Dakota. The water was a dirt brown green most of the summer. Weeds were thick in many parts of the lake. As kids we used to swim in it and not think anything of it because that was all we knew. When we moved out to Spokane when I was 10 years old, I was amazed at the lakes, how deep they were and how clear the water was. You could see the bottom in 25' of water. In the lakes back in the mid-west, you couldn't even see the swim shorts you were wearing.
The lakes back there are not deep at all. A deep lake is 25' in depth. Some are spring fed, but out in the plains, there are not many rivers and streams. When a large thunderstorm dump 3-5" of rain around a lake, the runoff from the farmlands will deposit a lot of top soil in the lakes.
It has been many years since I have been back there, but I do remember a couple of lures we used to use. If the lakes have Northern Pike in them, try using a red and white Daredevil. They will hit it hard so be ready. Cast towards the shore from a boat or dock early in the morning or in the evening. Pike will cruise the shorelines at these times, often looking for frogs. There are literally tons of frogs in the wetlands around lakes. We used to troll with live frogs. Check the regs on that, it could have changed to no live bait over the years.
There is some good Walleye fishing back there also. Don't forget the catfish also. They can get real big in those lakes.
Hope this is some help. It has been many years since I fished back there, but I still remember the 7-1/2 pound Walleye I once pulled from Pickeral Lake in eastern South Dakota.

Good Luck and let us know how you did:thumright

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Well Kelly, I believe that is the "norm" for a mid-west lake. I spent the early years of my life in South Dakota. The water was a dirt brown green most of the summer. Weeds were thick in many parts of the lake. As kids we used to swim in it and not think anything of it because that was all we knew. When we moved out to Spokane when I was 10 years old, I was amazed at the lakes, how deep they were and how clear the water was. You could see the bottom in 25' of water. In the lakes back in the mid-west, you couldn't even see the swim shorts you were wearing.
The lakes back there are not deep at all. A deep lake is 25' in depth. Some are spring fed, but out in the plains, there are not many rivers and streams. When a large thunderstorm dump 3-5" of rain around a lake, the runoff from the farmlands will deposit a lot of top soil in the lakes.
It has been many years since I have been back there, but I do remember a couple of lures we used to use. If the lakes have Northern Pike in them, try using a red and white Daredevil. They will hit it hard so be ready. Cast towards the shore from a boat or dock early in the morning or in the evening. Pike will cruise the shorelines at these times, often looking for frogs. There are literally tons of frogs in the wetlands around lakes. We used to troll with live frogs. Check the regs on that, it could have changed to no live bait over the years.
There is some good Walleye fishing back there also. Don't forget the catfish also. They can get real big in those lakes.
Hope this is some help. It has been many years since I fished back there, but I still remember the 7-1/2 pound Walleye I once pulled from Pickeral Lake in eastern South Dakota.

Good Luck and let us know how you did:thumright

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 pm

I grew up in Kansas City and fished quite a bit there. The water is darker/murkier because of a few factors: 99% are mud bottom and man-made, most of the lakes aren't developed with homes (effects runoff), and to some extent the weather (heavy rains, four full seasons). I had to relearn how to fish when I moved here because of the gin clear or slightly stained water clarity.

Lake Perry and Clinton Lake are good places to start when you get there. You will definitely want to go for some catfish. They are great to fish for with family, especially with kids.

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:24 am

I am back in wa now but thanks for the info. It was shock to see dark water and I meant no insult to anybody lives for has lived there.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:27 am

kantill wrote:I am back in wa now but thanks for the info. It was shock to see dark water and I meant no insult to anybody lives for has lived there.
Get any fish??
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

kantill
Warrant Officer

Post by kantill » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:34 am

It was way to muggy so I didn't do as much as I wanted to, but I did get acouple nice bluegill that I put back.