if you had a choice of rifle that may be banned, what would it be?

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
gian
Warrant Officer

if you had a choice of rifle that may be banned, what would it be?

Post by gian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:22 am

So I am now researching rifles due to the Obama paranoia. I admit it. Of couse I had wanted to take advantage of washingtons gun laws since I moved here a year and half ago, but now with all the talk I admit to getting swept into it. I made a trip to west coast armory in Issaquah yesterday and I was quite shocked at how seemily easy it is to purchase a gun in this state. I came from California where only criminals are allowed to have semi auto rifles. So now I'm doing my homework, I'm getting my CPL on tuesday, and I plan on buying when that shows up in the mail. I was told about 30 days. I want to purchase something that will increase in value, has a good part supply, and would just be an overall thrill to own. I want to keep my budget to under 2000. Not looking for single action or bolt rifles in large calibur. I don't plan on heading to Africa any time soon :cheers:

I was pleased to see some of the glocks I bought 14 years ago have gone up in value, and would like a rifle along the same lines.

Feedback is always appreciated here.

Thanks
I won't kill anything less than a meal

fishaholictaz
Admiral

RE:if you had a choice of rifle that may be banned, what would it be?

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:20 am

gian wrote: Not looking for single action or bolt rifles in large calibur. I don't plan on heading to Africa any time soon :cheers:
Do you plan on doing any hunting with it ? Here are a couple different models witch one is more what u r looking for?

The Remington Ar a good high quality varmint/ target gun. Rem web site

Ten there are the Bushmasters witch are good guns for the money and have good service/parts dept. Busmaster rec. guns
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:11 pm

:-# #-o :cheers:

We have a very Progressive Block watch program#-o many of the elders just call and name it Swede:colors: :-# 8-[
Grand Tornino Baby=d> Clint You be the man!:thumleft:
Attachments
12qasx.jpg
12qasx.jpg (144.41 KiB) Viewed 2343 times
Bear_Bikes_boats_and_Goofs-4022222222222.jpg
Bear_Bikes_boats_and_Goofs-4022222222222.jpg (65.3 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:52 pm

Black rifles such as Olympic arms made here in washington, DPMS panther series, Rock River arms, H&K, all of these have increased in value since they're so hard to get right now due to the amount of people just buying them up. If you buy one someone will pay more for it than you paid because they have become a commodity. I have an olympic arms 20" Barrel, with a 3-9x40 scope, surefire M3 Combat light, bi pod and 4 way rail system.
" It is far better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6 "

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:19 pm

tommytitan08 wrote:Black rifles such as Olympic arms made here in washington, DPMS panther series, Rock River arms, H&K, all of these have increased in value since they're so hard to get right now due to the amount of people just buying them up. If you buy one someone will pay more for it than you paid because they have become a commodity. I have an olympic arms 20" Barrel, with a 3-9x40 scope, surefire M3 Combat light, bi pod and 4 way rail system.
I forgot about Olympic Tommy good call here is the linkolyarms

Let us know what you decide or are thinking on:bounce:
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Photo bucket

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:36 pm

thanks for the starting points. right off the bat bushmaster seemed more in tune of what I was looking for. What are your opinions on caliber size? I noticed BM had a 9mm variation, and olympic had a glock conversion, which may come in handy since my sidearms are chambered in that caliber. I'm not sure how accurate a 9mm short round could be though.

I'm also not sure of the diferences between the 5.56mm and the .223. I have used the .223 in an M16 20 years ago so I don't recall much of the characteristics of the round. What are the advantages between the two?

The dealer at west coast showed me a 30-06 which was was over what I was looking for. I have fired 30's before and I don't like the kick. Reminded me of the M1 garand my buddy had back home. So I want to stick to the 5.56 or the .223.

Finally, does Washington have a magazine capacity limit law? In California it was almost impossible to find anything over 10, unless you wanted to pay an arm and leg for a larger mag. I'm just curious as to what size mag typically comes with these out of the box. 6, 10, 30?

Do gun shops up here offer NRA discounts?

thanks again for your time.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:49 pm

Just say 308:cheers: flat shooter much heavier killer:colors: and will flat line mucho Grande:chef: :cyclopsan

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:23 am

The differences between a 5.56x45 and a .223 rem are only the barrel pressures associated with each one. For instance if your rifle is chambered for .223 rem you cannot safely shoot a 5.56 nato round through it because of the pressure the 5.56 creates. If your rifle is chambered in 5.56, you can shoot either a .223rem or a 5.56 round through it.

Gisteppo
Commodore

Post by Gisteppo » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:30 am

There are no rifles destined to be controlled, so buy whatever suits your needs best!

E

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:54 am

The .223 are a little easier to find and a little cheaper I think. STAY AWAY from 9mm in my opinion a 22 is a better round:-"
Photo bucket

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:01 pm

Sounds like I should get a rifle in 5.56 and use the .223 for target practice, and have a box of 5.56 for when China invades :-$ Just kidding. But the 5.56 is the winner of that debate.

Now here's my next question. And I do appreciate you guys hanging in there with me. Carbine or Rifle? I know the difference is barrel length, but is that about it? Are the carbines for tactical and the rifles more for hunting? One of my glocks only has a 3 1/2" barrel, and after some practice I can get really good grouping even with the shorter barrel. Will I have the same luck if I go with a carbine, or should I stick to the rifle?

What are some of your favorites?

tommytitan08
Lieutenant

Post by tommytitan08 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:47 pm

It depends on your purpose if you want a more accurate weapon go for a bolt action chambered in .223 or a long barreled carbine .223 or 5.56. If you want a cool looking weapon for just shooting pleasure go with the carbine model.

your accuracy at long distance will diminish with a short barrel rifle compared to a long barrel bolt action.
Last edited by Anonymous on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Mon May 11, 2009 4:27 pm

I went by the local gun store again today and asked all the quesitons I had. Got them all answered. I did leave with one new question though.
I asked the gun rep about an AR-15 type rifle. He showed me a Colt. He told me the Colt was a step up from the Bushmaster, hence the 400.00 difference. He did not have any bushmasters in stock so I couldn't compare side by side. He told me due to the price they fly out the doors but the colt was a solid investment.

My question to all of you is... do you think that's true?

I had never heard of bush master until this post, and I own a colt handgun so I know the colt is going to be a solid gun. What I don't know about is the bushmaster, and are the differences really worth 400, or would I just be paying for the name ( colt ).

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Mon May 11, 2009 4:57 pm

Bushmaster a great weed wacker:-$ Bush was a :cyclopsan :chef: :-#

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Mon May 11, 2009 5:08 pm

Sounds like Butches Gun Shop spiel they gave me about Colts.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Mon May 11, 2009 5:26 pm

Colt was one of the first to produce an AR:-" They make a good gun but..... You are paying for the name also. I put Bushmaster up here because it is a quality gun for a better price. They also had the other thing you were wanting and that was parts Colt's prices are again more $$$#-o . It is all personal choice I have heard only good things from the people I know who use their Bushmasters for a shooter. But if you are interested in keeping it nice and not trying to melt the barrel :bounce: Colt will more then likely be a better investment but remember if you want value you got to keep it CLEAN and under 1,00 rounds#-o
Photo bucket

mav186
Commander

Post by mav186 » Mon May 11, 2009 6:19 pm

Hi Gian...you're asking all the right questions and have received some very solid feedback on this thread. I have nothing really to add to the great input other than my personal experience. Having been part of a anti-terrorism task force with advanced SWAT training I can tell you we have sent many federally funded rounds down range. We started out with the H&K G-36E series, saw some Colt action, then moved to the BM...all chambered in .223. I can tell you we used that round for specific reasons. Someone mentioned the .308...there's reason it's currently the #1 round for most domestic sniper deployments. All in all you will be pressed hard to find a more versitile round than the .223...it will not disappoint...guaranteed! Great research job...be safe...stay alert! :rambo:

gian
Warrant Officer

Post by gian » Fri May 29, 2009 8:37 pm

Just an update. I got a barely used bushmaster m4 with scope for 1k. I hope to take it out this weekend and put it through it's paces. With the money I saved I was also able to pick up another hand gun as well to add to my collection. The m4 seems a bit heavy, but I guess I'll get used to it. I didn't want to shell out the extra cash for the carbon model.
Now I have to find somewhere that sells REASONABLY priced ammo. Some of that stuff is over a dollar a shot now. 1 clip= 30 bucks gone. #-o

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri May 29, 2009 10:06 pm

swedefish4life1 wrote:Just say 308:cheers: flat shooter much heavier killer:colors: and will flat line mucho Grande:chef: :cyclopsan
I'd pick a 30-06 over 308. The extra punch comes in handy if you go after larger game like elk & moose.

308 would only be adequate with super-premium bullets like the barnes TSX.

Check out this video: 308 TSX

Barnes also makes a bullet called the "varmint grenade". Check out what happens when it hits a seedless grape: 22-250 grape juice
Piscatory Geekus Maximus

HillbillyGeek
Captain

Post by HillbillyGeek » Fri May 29, 2009 10:19 pm

gian wrote:Just an update. I got a barely used bushmaster m4 with scope for 1k. I hope to take it out this weekend and put it through it's paces. With the money I saved I was also able to pick up another hand gun as well to add to my collection. The m4 seems a bit heavy, but I guess I'll get used to it. I didn't want to shell out the extra cash for the carbon model.
Now I have to find somewhere that sells REASONABLY priced ammo. Some of that stuff is over a dollar a shot now. 1 clip= 30 bucks gone. #-o
You can't beat 7.62 X 39 when it comes to cheap ammo. Back in the mid-90s, you could buy 1200 rounds of steel-core for $109. :cheers:

The AK-47 may not be as accurate as other military rifles, but it is still the most reliable semi-automatic rifle on the planet. Don't get me wrong -- the M16 is very reliable when it is clean, but starts getting "sticky" after about 400 rounds.

I had a friend who bought an el-cheapo Norinco MAK-90 (AK clone made in China) and he NEVER cleaned it or wiped it down. Even though it was filthy & rusty, he put 9,000+ rounds through that rifle before getting his first stove-pipe jam.

Try that with an M16... :salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri May 29, 2009 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piscatory Geekus Maximus