What have you had fall in the water from your boat or float tube??

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

What have you had fall in the water from your boat or float tube??

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 am

Hard times on the lake today. :-({|= I had my spinning rod and reel in the reer section of my float tube, while I was dragging the fly rod around the lake. I knew that the 8'6" rod was a stretch for this little section behind the tube seat. Nevertheless, I went with it. Rod and reel both went overboard. $200.00 down the drain. :-({|=

What is the worst thing that you had fall in the water and become lost?
Sonar head? Rod, Wallet,etc.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

Matt
Admiral

RE:What have you had fall in the water from your boat or float tube??

Post by Matt » Mon May 30, 2011 6:10 am

That sucks about the rod man, sorry to hear that.

Fishing in the sound during a humpy year my dad and I were both running our DR's and another boat with 2 folks were both running theirs and WAMMO head on collision, they rubbed down out port side and eventually hit the back downrigger ripping the pole out of the scotty downrigger rod holder.... here's the kicker. I bought the rod AND reel the day before for around 200$, and this was the first time they were EVER lowered into the water!!! Neither boat sustained any damage, it was a very scary situation but we all were okay, EXCEPT MY BRAND NEW ROD! Pay attention out there in humpy hollow, it is a clownshow!!!

Other smaller items I've lost: A pair of Bole polarized glasses off the dash while ling cod fishing, 2 lids off of cured eggs in the cowlitz this year (HOW ANNOYING! lol), Hats (plural), beer (full and empty), the list goes on and on! :bom:
Last edited by Matt on Mon May 30, 2011 6:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

Dave
Commodore

Post by Dave » Mon May 30, 2011 6:22 am

OMG Chris, I'm very sorry to hear that. Other than a few downrigger balls that have snapped off over the years I'm fortunate to say I've lost nothing overboard (Knock on wood). I'm almost afraid to write this. Watch, now it will be my turn. Sorry again for your loss, that really sucks! Can you at least drag the bottom with a large treble hook? I caught a very nice ultra light rod and reel at Jameson years ago while bait fishing. Just a thought.
Last edited by Dave on Mon May 30, 2011 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Mon May 30, 2011 6:32 am

Dave wrote: Can you at least drag the bottom with a large treble hook? I caught a very nice ultra light rod and reel at Jameson years ago while bait fishing. Just a thought.

A very good suggestion actually!! A lot of people do this for retrieving crab traps that have been lost, either one big hook with a weight, or a large weight with a ton of hooks wrapped around it works well.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Mon May 30, 2011 7:33 am

Grandpa's net, Whitefish Lake, MT. I was like 5-7 yo.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Bodofish
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Bodofish » Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 am

Rufus Woods, Glasses fell off my face while starting the kicker. Driving home was a treat! Now I have a spare pair in the truck just in case.... Oh yeah about $600.....
Build a man a fire and he's warm for the night. Light a man on fire and he's warm the rest of his life!

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon May 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Dave wrote:OMG Chris, I'm very sorry to hear that. Other than a few downrigger balls that have snapped off over the years I'm fortunate to say I've lost nothing overboard (Knock on wood). I'm almost afraid to write this. Watch, now it will be my turn. Sorry again for your loss, that really sucks! Can you at least drag the bottom with a large treble hook? I caught a very nice ultra light rod and reel at Jameson years ago while bait fishing. Just a thought.
I`m scared to say it also Dave but it`s true nothing. Funny this should come up because I was leaning over the boat the other day thinking about this. Maybe it`s a bad sign.#-o

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm

I hate losing things to the water. I lost my cell phone overboard once. Had it in my shirt pocket, leaned over the side and it slid out to live with the dog fish. I've lost sunglasses, beer, and a tackle box that had a bad lid popped open and I lost a bunch of trolling rigs and jigs.

One time we were trolling Cle Ellum for Mack's last year and I was on the oars, my brother was standing up to check something or mess around or doing something nonsense, and I guess I sped up or something and he fell over board. Lost my brother! Well, we were trolling the bottom and I didn't have time to reel up and didn't want to lose our gear so I kept rowing and he had to swim to catch up to the boat. It was all good fun though, it was 80 degrees and we were in shorts, so it was no big deal.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Mon May 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Dave wrote: Can you at least drag the bottom with a large treble hook? I caught a very nice ultra light rod and reel at Jameson years ago while bait fishing. Just a thought.

Yes, I expect to be back at this lake and drag the area with a large treble hook. Unfortunately after the rod fell, I was left with my fly rod and fly gear, so no weighted type of gear with treble hooks.
Now that I'm thinking of this thread... the last time I was in the aluminum, 2 weeks ago.. I was opening a package containing new downrigger clips. The package popped open and the NEW clip flew into lake Cavanaugh. Then last summer I was on the Sound and my manual DR somehow released the clutch while a friend was using it. Ball went HARD and fast to the bottom and then I hit the brake HARD. Ball of course broke off and now lives in area 10. Alright, I'm not telling anymore stories like this, out of embarrasement.:alien:
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

returnofthefish
Captain

Post by returnofthefish » Mon May 30, 2011 7:04 pm

That sucks about your rod and reel. I lost a small tackle box, sun glasses and hats from the float tube before. I locked my keys in the car a few times while moving my float tube ang gear in and out of my car, but thats another story. Hope you find your gear Chris.
Catch and Release Wild Trout
Catch and Release Wild Women

'OL GREY DOG
Commander

Post by 'OL GREY DOG » Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 pm

few years bk i got tired of fighting with my cell carrier....went and bought a brand new phone 'n $50 worth of hours...went to Hicks....fished a couple hours and managed to put 3(the # needed for dinner) nice fat/phat carry overs in the cooler....reached in my coat pocket to call the wife and tell her dinner was come'n home and.....

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Mon May 30, 2011 10:29 pm

This thread could become the Washington Lakes bloopers thread.
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 30, 2011 10:37 pm

What I've THROWN into the lake;

late '80s, new rod and reel - bounced off the seat and into the water.

early '90s, wrist watch when I flicked water off my hand, the watch flew off and into Lake Sammamish next to the sunken forrest.

mid '90s, favorite rod and reel for crankbaits and top water - at night topwater fishing, was ready to make a cast when I got close enough to shore. Made the cast and the rod flew out of my hand - I'd forgotten to open the bail and the weight of the lure and force of the cast took the rod out of my hand. The rod sunk to the bottom in the weeds, never to be seen again.
Tom.

Interests: living

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 30, 2011 10:50 pm

Another couple items that went overboard a few years back:

Lets see now, back in '80 a puppy went overboard when she wanted to go see the ducks. The boat was a tri-hull Chrysler Bassrunner. She went between the hulls as the boat was moving forwards on the electric motor. I then couldn't use the motor to stop the boat as she was right there. I reached under and grabbed her leg and pulled her out from under the hull. She was ok, but stayed under the front bow for awhile.

Back about 2004 or sometime around there Cherokee was fishing with me, she was 2 or 3 or 4 years old. She'd get excited when I caught a fish. One time when I caught a bass she tried to squeeze past me by walking on the gunnel. She didn't make it and went swimming. At least she had on her life jacket. I grabbed her by the jacket and pulled her back in. She seemed to be happy about swimming that warm day.
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Mon May 30, 2011 11:08 pm

Like I said I havn`t lost anything. Now for the question who has found anything they lost and how did you find it? I ask this because I`ve been with guys that have lost spendy rods and reels and I still think of them when I go by them. Wonder how I can retrieve them without renting a diver or scuba gear?:-k

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Mon May 30, 2011 11:16 pm

Hooked up a spinnerbait on a log after the big fish that WAS on it got off. Some people in a boat were going past and one had on scuba gear. He went down and unhooked the spinnerbait. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]e[/img]

Saw a small outboard on the bottom after a couple guys lost it off their small boat. They went down and got it later.

Lost one of the fish-n-fool baits when the fish broke off. The next day I picked it up with my 4 tine rake thing and caught a couple more fish. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]t[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]w[/img]

Went swimmimg one morning a few years ago when I lost a spinnerbait when the fish broke off at night. Next morning I saw it and got it, 12 foot of water.

Lost 3 screws from my electric motor when I was trying to align the arrow better. Had the top off and put the motor back into the water. The screws fell out. I used my magnet to get all 3 screws back. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]1[/img]
Tom.

rjn cajun
Captain

Post by rjn cajun » Tue May 31, 2011 12:10 am

Amx wrote:Hooked up a spinnerbait on a log after the big fish that WAS on it got off. Some people in a boat were going past and one had on scuba gear. He went down and unhooked the spinnerbait. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]e[/img]

Saw a small outboard on the bottom after a couple guys lost it off their small boat. They went down and got it later.

Lost one of the fish-n-fool baits when the fish broke off. The next day I picked it up with my 4 tine rake thing and caught a couple more fish. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]t[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]w[/img]

Went swimmimg one morning a few years ago when I lost a spinnerbait when the fish broke off at night. Next morning I saw it and got it, 12 foot of water.

Lost 3 screws from my electric motor when I was trying to align the arrow better. Had the top off and put the motor back into the water. The screws fell out. I used my magnet to get all 3 screws back. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]1[/img]
Your hired I`ll show ya next time we`re out on the lake.:bounce:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 31, 2011 12:17 am

rjn cajun wrote:Your hired I`ll show ya next time we`re out on the lake.:bounce:
Are you talking about Gary's $400 rod and reel that his friend/family member lost? That one had a fish on the end of it. No telling how far off the fish towed it. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... s/eeek.gif]5[/img]
Last edited by Amx on Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom.

MarkFromSea
Admiral

Post by MarkFromSea » Tue May 31, 2011 12:48 am

Amx wrote:What I've THROWN into the lake;

mid '90s, favorite rod and reel for crankbaits and top water - at night topwater fishing, was ready to make a cast when I got close enough to shore. Made the cast and the rod flew out of my hand - I'd forgotten to open the bail and the weight of the lure and force of the cast took the rod out of my hand. The rod sunk to the bottom in the weeds, never to be seen again.
This is the funniest thing I've read all day! Zing!!!!! gone!:joker: ROTFLMAO! Thanks again Tom.
"Fish Hard and Fish Often!"

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Tue May 31, 2011 1:05 am

Oh ya, yesterday on Sammamish after we threw the 2 squawfishes back into the water and motored down a little bit, an eagle swooped down and grabbed a fish, we think it was the squawfish we released. [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... boogie.gif]9[/img] [img=http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ima ... chchin.gif]3[/img] Ok, so we didn't get one back.
Tom.