Legalization of Marijuana

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Iamfishing
Petty Officer

Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Iamfishing » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:17 pm

i know this is a touchy subject and mabey not one that should be posted here on this site.but i would love to hear every ones opinion on this issue,what would be negative as well as positive about Legalizing marijuana.i see many positive things as well as negative things about the legalization of marijuana.I say legalize it!!!!!!!:cheers:

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

RE:Legalization of Marijuana

Post by Amx » Thu Nov 25, 2010 12:23 pm

It should always be illegal. As should all smoking items. They all cause canser, and also in people that don't smoke from second hand smoke, and are dumb. Alcohol should also be illegal as it causes deaths of innocent people too from drunks drivers, etc.
Tom.

Interests: living

spokey9
Captain

Post by spokey9 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:05 pm

maybe if it was natural marijuana, but most smokers would complain about that. todays weed is like 400% stronger than the 60's. it's no longer a natural plant. growers esentially have bio engineered a true drug out of a natural plant. besides most people would be surprised by the amount of toxic chemicals are use during the grow to get the plants to harvest faster.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except i still get to kill something.

mallard83
Commodore

Post by mallard83 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:48 pm

Legalize it! I don't smoke at all but agree with the legalization of it. There are much more harmful things that are legal. Another thing to TAX if done right! This country was founded on the ideal of being free, but it is no more. More and more rights are being taken away as we speak. FourLoco is one of the most recent examples. It is the USERS responsibility, NOT the manufacturer. I drink alot of alchohol RESPONSIBLY and hold myself responsible. Put stricter regs on things and people will follow. If not go to jail. I feel the same about prostitution. Regulate it and tax it. Easy money. As long as you don't harm others, do what you want! The reason these have not been legalized is because the government has not figured out how to make money off of them. That is all the government cares about. I have my own ideas but they are just that, ideas. If you want to take away rights and freedoms move to a country that is not based off freedom.

My .02:salut: :cheers: :bounce: :thumleft: :thumright [thumbsup] =d>
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 25, 2010 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Matt
Admiral

Post by Matt » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:20 pm

The way I see it alcohol is 5000 times worse than smoking weed so there is no reason for it to be illegal if drinking is legal and regulated.

Excellent opportunity for taxation, and it calms the public. Win win.

Not to mention the OTHER things it could be used for such as hemp, and hemp seed oil which could help out quite a bit with our "oil crisis".

Read the book "The Emperor Wears No Clothes" by Jack Herer
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When I grow up I want to be,
One of the harvesters of the sea.
I think before my days are done,
I want to be a fisherman."

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:57 pm

spokey9 wrote:todays weed is like 400% stronger than the 60's.
if im not mistaken thats a myth and in not true. Watch the union. Its a documentary on weed and growers. Its very informative and worth checking out for both smokers and non smokers.
I myself am for it being legal.
My rod and reel, they comfort me.
"Believe nothing of what you hear and half of what you see."

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:29 pm

The weed itself may not any stronger then it was in the 60's. It is what is added to it after the harvest. Even in it's pure state it has long lasting effects on personality when abused as I witnessed in the early 70's while in college. I'm not for or agianst legalization but oppose the thought of making it legal for taxing purposes. That makes as much sence as putting in stoplight or speed cameras and trying to convince the public that it is for safety when it is obvious it is just a money making tool.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:12 pm

I say tax it and sell it. like mentioned above they're worse things that kill people then Pot. I do not smoke it for one being illegal and 2 lossing my job. other then that I would pay for weed over ciggerttes hands down. I would smoke less and smell better lol. the green triangle in cali I believe is what it is called grows and sells out in the open and they have found was around federal over state laws I forget which one states they cannot grow and sell but both laws one for and one against. being Legal less people in jail less murders and more money in the govs pockets to spend on whatever bs they spend it on. Prositution is legal in parts of Nevada Multi million dollar a year enterprise and they pay the taxes to do the cost of business Cleaner enviorment and again less issues on the streets althougt Pimps may not like the theory as now they will have to pay taxes. but it will help with the minor trafficing across the country. selling girls and yes Seattle is in the loop of road of 12-16 year old run aways being shipped too and from!

second hand smoke if you don't smoke and don't like it! you can simply walk away also. They stopped smoking in the resturants which me being a smoker I did agree with. The last thing I wanted to smell was smoke while tring to polish off a nice steak. I tend to stay away from non smokers I give them distance, and thats me being me and respect to others.

I have a Pair of Hemp Vans cost 20 bucks less then the regular ones and fell 50 times better alot lighter and comfy. all kinds of things hemp can be made into. which is a strong plus. for Jobs and the economy.
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:19 am

jerrysgonefishing wrote:Even in it's pure state it has long lasting effects on personality when abused
Anything and everything can change a person and have long lasting effects on ones personality. Its all depends on the person and their state of mind. People change naturally to begin with, its just how things go. Also you can abuse nasal spray, cold meds and just about anything used to "medicate" a person. You can take it a step further and even say people abuse food. Obesity is one of America's major health concerns isn't it?

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:35 pm

Tom.

Interests: living

fear_no_fish
Captain

Post by fear_no_fish » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:01 pm

you got me there #-o

Gringo Pescador

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:43 pm

I am guessing this isn't that you are talking about, but I think industrial hemp is long overdue for legalization. Industrial hemp doesn't get you high (well, if you smoked like 500 joints or something). It grows fast, cheap, and has a million uses from rope to paper to fuel. It is a weed, so grows pretty much anywhere under pretty much any conditions and from what I understand, it doesn't wreak havoc on the soil like other crops which means no need for crop rotation, which means bigger crops and paychecks for the farmers. I think the government should legalize this form and tax it just like they do other industrial crops. They could employ a whole department to do random checks on these farmers to make sure they are indeed growing industrial hemp instead of the other stuff (more jobs created).
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

Pradeep
Warrant Officer

Post by Pradeep » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:12 pm

Legalize it! Tax it, generate lots of money to do something about our roads, teacher, police officers, fire fighters and everyone else who keeps us safe.

The Quadfather
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by The Quadfather » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Don't forget about more gamies out in the field. :salut:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Honey Badger don't care.. Honey Badger don't give a ....."

4r7wHMg5Yjg

sickbayer
Commodore

Post by sickbayer » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:02 pm

legalise it and tax it the crap out of...same goes for prostitution
Seeking the violent take downs

Thunder jet
V8 309 pump
HAL the tr1 auto pilot
T8 high thrust
LCX 28 HD
Lowrance Broadband Sounder
Fusion for the beat
Penn 835's for the bang zone

saltyseadog
Commander

Post by saltyseadog » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:38 pm

go ahead legalize:cheers: it tax it no one will buy it when they can grow it for freeee:santa: :santa:
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fish on!

Mike Carey
Owner/Editor
Owner/Editor

Post by Mike Carey » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:45 pm

If you want to learn the history of marijuana law in the U.S. this is an excellent source paper:

Virginia Law Review Paper on Marijuana history in the US.

Warning: Education has a tendency to dispel myths. Read at peril of your preconceived notions.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Takers get the honey, Givers sing the blues".

fishaholictaz
Admiral

Post by fishaholictaz » Sat Nov 27, 2010 4:26 am

Legalize it Weed doesn't have a 1/4 the carcinogens that tobacco has and not nearly as dangerous as alcohol! I have family that drinks like fish then they like to act like they are better then the part of the family that smokes weed. But the part of the family that drinks are not nice people to be around, they get in trouble, and don't go to work. I think alcohol is sooooo much worse of a drug then weed is!
A fisherman= A JERK ON ONE END OF A FISHING POLE WAITING FOR A JERK ON THE OTHER!!
Hello, my name is Tim and I am addicted to fishing!
Coming to you from Wyoming!!!
Photo bucket

natetreat
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by natetreat » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:34 am

In theory I have libertarian views on drugs and the role of the federal and state government in the use and regulation of 'em. In practice, I grew up around a bunch of stoners and pot smokers. Pot makes you dumb, slow and STONED. My friends associated pot with having a good time, and the folks that told 'em it was bad also told them that an education was a good thing, so they didn't listen. They made themselves dumb and lived off their parents. The majority of 'em still do, and they're almost thirty. You can't work heavy machinery or remember enough when you're high to function at work, and when you smoke weed, the effects last all day, even after the high wears off you're still slow. The folks that smoke weed chronically are slower than most. It causes all the bad things that cigarettes do, and adds brain damage to the list.

But I wouldn't want to work with a bunch of stoners. Anything that gets in the way of people getting smarter bothers me. Alcohol is gone the morning after, sure it kills more people than weed, but I think that drunk driving should put you in jail for vehicular assault after the first offense. I drink often, and I never drive. Ever. But if they made it legal, it would still be legal for companies to do drug screening and to not hire folks on account of pot. So, smokers would just be shooting themselves in the foot. But KFC and Taco Bell and Jack in the Box will always need burger flippers so the stoners would have a place in the economy I guess, so good riddance. Less competition for those of us not high.

Most of the folks who smoke are younger and every high schooler and college kid does it at least once, but more likely more. The last thing I want is for my kids to be making themselves dumber at the time when it's most important for them to be smart. But kids have been drinking illegally ever since it was illegal for 'em to drink. Kids have been smoking the reefer ever since they found the reefer and someone told 'em not to.

If it would stop gang violence and drug dealers it might be good, but when we removed prohibition, the mafia just started peddling other vices so there's not much to that. If people want to get stoned, I say it should be legal, but do I want to work with those folks? Nope. Do I want my kids hangin out with 'em? No. As long as they don't make it something that is illegal to discriminate, they should sell it and tax it just like tobacco. But you should get DUI's for it, fired for being high at work, expelled from school if you smoke it at high school. Kids don't have the experience to make decisions about this sorta thing, nor the self control to manage it properly, and I've watch weed ruin too many lives the condone it's use. But I don't think that the government should be telling us what is more than evident to anybody who takes a reasonable look at what weed does to young peoples lives, nor should it be putting these kids in jail or arresting them because they have crappy parents. But I guess it all comes down to natural selection in the end, and the clean and sober are more competitive anyway.

Legalize it, pay off the deficit. Put the rapists, murderers, chimo's and poachers behind bars. Get the wife beaters outta the house and keep the crackheads from pooping in the streets in belltown. Protect consumers from exorbitant insurance premiums for a policy that won't cover you when you get sick. Have enough oversight to punish corporate tyranny, but reward economic ingenuity and civic responsibility. Leave well enough alone so that we can all have jobs and an education and be the head of our own house, on two feet.

It all comes down to personal accountability for one's actions. In today's America, we don't want that. When we get fat, we sue McDonalds, we don't join a gym and eat less. In a society where we can't even be accountable for our own health and well being, where we can't even instill the value of of education and hard work in our kids, where we outlaw caffeinated malt liquor because we can't keep our kids from drinking, I don't see legalizing pot as a big issue.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:23 am

Smoking pot is way less addicting then cigs.I'm not for legalizing it but at least decriminalize it.I dont take it with me when traveling but its so easy to find anywhere.Whens the last time you heard of a fatal accident caused by pot. Hardly ever. Its usually alcohol. If people want to destroy their lives smoking pot let them go for it. I know what it did to my life and I'm not happy about it.Once the state can figure to tax it and that older generation are ousted from the political arena it will be legal.My parents biggest fear of pot is,"its illegal thats why its bad". Thats the 65 years way of looking at it.I got to go its 4:20.....remember before admitting anything onlinethat we have Po-Po on this site.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.