model trains

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
VHMLLC
Commander

model trains

Post by VHMLLC » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:48 pm

beside my self and Bisk1tSnGraV is there anyone out there that models trains?

:viking:
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

RE:model trains

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:38 am

Raises my hand ... oh .. wait he said besides me ... laughs. As the chill becomes more and more each day more time will be given to the layout. Actually got a chance to clean some track and run some trains over the weekend! Been a long time coming.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:07 pm

I have 2 train sets.One is ho scale the other is a larger size that I had since I was a 8yo that dad made for me.He made the board and tracks not the train.I love trains.Phil Condit from Boeing is a big model train fan.When we did his home in North Bend he had tracks everywhere in his 16,000 square foot home.It was so cool.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:44 pm

this is just 1/3rd of a layout my father inlaw just gave my daughter and i we have a lot of work to do to make this a working display. the buildings are just siting there ther will be added to the layout later.

Attachments
train_layout.jpg
train_layout.jpg (79.84 KiB) Viewed 2224 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.
Enjoy Your Days & Love Your Life' Because Life is a journey to be savored !!!! GO FISHING

As Ben Franklin said: In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom, in water there is bacteria.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of poop
There is no need to thank me for this valuable information: I'm doing it as a public service.

EastsideRedneck
Commander

Post by EastsideRedneck » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:15 pm

I used to be into it a great deal before I moved away from home. Now all of my HO stuff is stored away waiting for me to once again have the space to lay out another board. I pull out some of my Lionel (pre- & post-war) during the holidays for my daughter's amusement now that she is old enough to know better than to touch them.

My old setup was 12'x20' using HO scale trains (freight and passenger lines) depicting Appalachia/Smoky Mountain type topography. My favorite part was actually building the structures (wooden trestles especially) and "weathering" my trains to add realism.

I may end up getting into N or Z scale one of these days since it doesn't take nearly the same amount of room.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:03 pm

EastsideRedneck wrote:I may end up getting into N or Z scale one of these days since it doesn't take nearly the same amount of room.
amen to that but it will take a good pair of magifying glasses.

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:23 am

VHMLLC wrote:amen to that but it will take a good pair of magifying glasses.

That was a reason I ended up staying with HO was I knew as I got older my eye site wouldnt keep up with me. Though I do wish my garage was twice as big ... laughs. The good thing about it is that my neighbor is starting his N scale layout so I can work on both sides with HO and N.
'course they don't have biscuits and gravy ... but if they did, I bet everyone would eat there.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:36 am

I have long been into model railroading but over the years of moving,work and family. Its something that I can't keep up on,
but I have a renewed interest and a spare bedroom to work with. I have HO and N scale that I have collected over the years.
I recently pulled out the HO set but it doesn't perform how it use to,VERY SLOW but working. I believe the problem may
be the tracks themselves,theirs some kind of film over it. It sounds a little cheesy but I'm making the stereotypical
tracks around the Christmas tree this year. My son should get a kick out of it.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:56 am

Cleaning of the track is something that I have seen fix most problems most of the time. There are a few different ways to clean up the rails ... one is to use Goo Gone. And after using it use a clean cloth to remove any residue left by the cleaner.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:19 pm

or you could buy one of those cool self propelled track cleand cars. very cool. very pricey.

Attachments
3720320330[1].jpg
3720320330[1].jpg (3.52 KiB) Viewed 2175 times
Last edited by Anonymous on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:35 am

Very pricey indeed. I was just thinking of cost effective of cleaning track. And if a track hasnt been cleaned in a long while it is good to put a little elbow work into it before you have any type of cleaning car trying to do the job.

kevinb
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by kevinb » Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:57 am

How much do those usually run?

I'm going through my collection of tracks today to see if I can get this thing moving a little faster.
The weather is suppose to be nasty again....Yep,I think I'll stay inside and getting this thing performing much
better. Anyone of you guys watch the model railroading show on PBS?, can't remember the name of it but
very informative and you can get some great ideas for track layout etc..

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:33 am

They vary in price like most things ... decent ones usually run close to $100.

http://www.walthers.com/exec/search?quick=cleaning+car

The name of the show is Tracks Ahead. I think I have seen all the episodes at least twice.
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:54 pm

cool didnt know there was a show, i will look for it.

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

VHMLLC
Commander

Post by VHMLLC » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:42 pm

we had ice down here so i stayed home and played with the train layout.i spent 6 hours today.good brain drain time ](*,)

Stan.

Remember:
Water = Poop,
Wine = Health.

swedefish4life1
Admiral

Post by swedefish4life1 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:29 pm

Very cool guys:bounce: I still have one some where in the shop and I use to put her under the Xmas tree for my daughter. Very Creative and brings the kid out of many:cheers:

Bisk1tSnGraV
Captain

Post by Bisk1tSnGraV » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:40 am

VHMLLC wrote:we had ice down here so i stayed home and played with the train layout.i spent 6 hours today.good brain drain time ](*,)
Much better than the 3 hrs driving in the snow I had. very cool you had gotten some time. I went on a layout tour in my area to see others layouts. Gave me a bunch of ideas and the creative thinking starting again.