Alaska Fishing Trip

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Alaska Fishing Trip

Post by fisherhall » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:37 pm

Around July this year I am going to take a trip to Alaska. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations on which guides to go with. I will most likely be going for King Salmon.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

RE:Alaska Fishing Trip

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:58 pm

Where in Alaska would help us out????
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Anywhere is fine. I don't really have a preference.

A9
Rear Admiral One Star

Post by A9 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:50 pm

What do you mean anywhere? You haven't figured where in Alaska your spending you vacation? Sekiu is a well known spot....

Google Sekiu guides/charters and you'll find somewhere...If you wanna have the fishing trip of your life, spend a week here:
http://www.haa-nee-naa.com/

Fly in to Prince Rupert, take a 30 minute seaplane ride to the MIDDLE OF NOWHERE and spend 4 or 5 days in a floating lodge in a protected bay and have your own boat (or go with their guides) and catch 40 some silvers a day, average fish 10-12 lbs, some up to 17-18 lbs, with the occasional king and you can always find Halibut or Lings if you wanna spend an afternoon or a whole day doing that stuff. We went mid August and the fishing was phenomenal, weather was great (calm every day, like a pond, mostly cloudy mornings that burned off to sunny afternoons)...

Go earlier in the year (June or July) and you'll get into a lot more kings...Prepare to have the best food ever prepared for you, mostly consisting of your fresh catch, and they clean and pack your fish and you get to bring it home with you. Your arms will be sore after every day.. We fished 10 foot rods with knucklebuster reels, and you can either troll cutplug, or mooch buzz bombs all day...
Don't chase reports...Be the report others chase....

gpc
Admiral

Post by gpc » Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:59 pm

Nice! your a lucky man. Never acctually been but I have some guides to choose from. These are all out of the travlers guide that F&H news comes out with. Should be a good place to start.

Nushagak river: www.jakesalaska.com

Sitka: alaskapremiercharters.com sitkacharters.com

Lake Creek: pacific-northwest-sportfishing.com

If I were you I would plan my fishing trip around the Kenai river. It sounds like you are missing out until you fish the Kenai

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:24 am

I think I might try this place.

the1fishingpro
Lieutenant

Post by the1fishingpro » Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:33 am

One person I have had the pleasure of fishing with in Alaska (during July) was with Rod N Reel. They are a great Guiding service that are located in Soldotna Alaska. They will take u out for 6+hours and then bring you back for a nice Homemade Salmon/halibut BBQ. They will also weigh, clean, and fillet your fish for you. Best Guided service I have ever been on and some of the nicest guys to boot. Theres a Sportsmans show going on at the Portland Expo Center Feb 6-10. Rod N Reel will have a booth in the last building. They get booked up pretty fast, so If u even want a chance with these professionals, It would be smart to look them up sometime Early on in the week. The two owners are ROD and RANDY both brothers who have worked together their whole lives guiding trips for Kings/silvers/halibut/and Reds. I would recommend getting a trip with one of them if possible, they have the most experience meaning better chances. Best part about Alaska is....30lber is a baby King compared to here in WA.

Hers a picture of Randy, Taken by me last year when I was on a guided king trip late July.

Heres a Link for u http://rodnreal.com/index.html
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Feb 06, 2008 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
If in doubt set the hook!

fisherhall
Warrant Officer

Post by fisherhall » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Has anyone ever taken a guided trip in Sitka, Alaska?

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:37 pm

i dont have any reccomendations but me and my dad are taking a trip up to queen charlotte island and are hooking up with a salmon/halibut charter, i cant wait. rumor around the house is we are going in between june-august.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.

lskiles
Commander

Post by lskiles » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:55 am

Fisherman_max wrote:i dont have any reccomendations but me and my dad are taking a trip up to queen charlotte island and are hooking up with a salmon/halibut charter, i cant wait. rumor around the house is we are going in between june-august.
Wow, good for you. I am sure it will be a big time. I know it would be the trip of a lifetime for me. I have a rich friend that goes every year and spends a week fishing in AK and I do not think he really enjoys it as much as he would if it were not every year.

HAVE FUN!!!

Fisherman_max
Commander

Post by Fisherman_max » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:06 am

yea this is gunna be my first big trip, i cant wait.
"If people focused on the important things in life, there would be a shortage of fishing poles"

Max's Video Production

serving Washingtons greatest fishing website since 12/14/07

sending videos soon.