I've Been Flocked!!

For all of your non-fishing related conversations. If it's not about fishing, or you want to "test" the forum, post it here.
Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

I've Been Flocked!!

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:54 am

I woke up this morning and found these in my front yard.:scratch: I guess since the Gulf of Mexico is filling up with oil, they are migrating north.

Actually, it is a fund raiser for Young Life. Someone has them put in your yard and you in turn can have them placed in someone else' yard (next victim) for a $25.00 donation to Young Life. I have designated, with a donation, who will be the next "victim".

A very humorous and clever way to raise money for a good cause. [razz]
Attachments
Flocked_2.JPG
Flocked_2.JPG (322.04 KiB) Viewed 1400 times

FishTank
Petty Officer

RE:I've Been Flocked!!

Post by FishTank » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:11 pm

Marc Martyn wrote:I woke up this morning and found these in my front yard.:scratch: I guess since the Gulf of Mexico is filling up with oil, they are migrating north.

Actually, it is a fund raiser for Young Life. Someone has them put in your yard and you in turn can have them placed in someone else' yard (next victim) for a $25.00 donation to Young Life. I have designated, with a donation, who will be the next "victim".

A very humorous and clever way to raise money for a good cause. [razz]
HA! That's funny.

I wish I had a lawn so I could be a victim. I know a certain pastor whose lawn would be perfect for it. [flapper]
Donny - Software Engineer

It's time to catch bass and chew bubble gum, guys... and I'm all out of gum

G-Man
Admiral

Post by G-Man » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:00 pm

A few of our local churchs offer the same "service" for a similar fee. Call me nuts, I like the look and have had a small flock for a little more than 10 years now.

Marc, what kind of overhead lighting are you using to get those dramatic shadows and why is everything so nice and dry?

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:40 pm

I love those Pink Flamingos in yards. I'd consider it nice to have not a "Got Ya " kinda thing.It must be some of the Italian /Greek blood in me.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:06 pm

G-Man wrote:Marc, what kind of overhead lighting are you using to get those dramatic shadows and why is everything so nice and dry?
Well, I think it is called the sun:-k Haven't seen much of it this year. I have mushrooms growing in the grass and I haven't watered in weeks.[huh]

I emailed the picture to my son over on the coast. He told me that he likes the look and that I should keep them![laugh] When I was growing up in the 50's, it was the lawn decorating craze. Maybe it is coming back.

It is fun to watch people as they drive by. Their reactions are a hoot. One lady even stopped, got out of her car and took a picture.
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:05 pm

I looked out the window about 6 pm and my little friends are gone. I kind of miss them now..... [crying]

Amx
Vice Admiral Three Stars

Post by Amx » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

Spring time. They migrated to Florida.
Tom.

Interests: living

physher92
Petty Officer

Post by physher92 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:05 am

Thats cool you got flocked! I actually did that fundraiser for younglife last year to help send me to a summer camp. It is a really great fundraiser and every person that we sent the flamingos to, really loved them and was very generous about donating. Its a little stressful sneaking around and putting them in peoples yards though! fun too...
You can never catch fish if your line isn't in the water - you don't know if you don't go

Rich McVey
Sponsor
Sponsor

Post by Rich McVey » Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:49 am

Good Stuff :cheers:

I could just see my dogs reaction when I let him out and there are 20 birds standing there that are not intimidated by him. Bet he wouldnt even leave the porch.

Iamfishing
Petty Officer

Post by Iamfishing » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:24 pm

i was looking at some of the pics from the oil spill.and i just feel sooo bad for the little animals.like man wow.some of the birds are completely covered in oil its horrible.but not just birds.i hope that they can do something productive about it soon.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fishnislife
Admiral

Post by fishnislife » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:11 pm

Ohh, now that is good. Very clever for sure.

For me, anything worth doing is worth doing it right. I would triple that amount.

fishnislife
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fish, Baits, Tournaments & BBQ's, Scenic Pictures, Hunting and World Record Pix:
http://s27.photobucket.com/albums/c176/fishnislife/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Marc Martyn
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by Marc Martyn » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:27 pm

They do have a tiered donation system. If you "flock" someone else, you have a choice of $25 for 25 birds, $75 for 50 birds or $200 for 100 birds. Money is short right now, or I would have "flocked" Dave Hall, my fishing buddy and neighbor with 50.[biggrin]

racfish
Rear Admiral Two Stars

Post by racfish » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:32 am

I have 3 companies I buy outside shades from.Draper Shade,Skyco,and Hunter Douglas.I prefer a manual operated shade .If youd like you can e mail the size of window measured from the outside and I can price it for you. If you have a company you like dealing with thats great.I'll give you a price to use as a guideline.

May I ask why you want it mounted outside. Spokanes winters can be unruly and hard on a product.
When youre up to your rear end in alligators,its hard to remember that the initial plan was to drain the swamp.