CALLING ALL ANGLERS Help make reporting of lost gillnets MANDATORY!

Announcements about new WL offerings, contests, problems and other related items. Fishing Clubs post your announcements here.
scott080379
Commodore

CALLING ALL ANGLERS Help make reporting of lost gillnets MANDATORY!

Post by scott080379 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:50 am

The senate version of this bill, SB 5661, will be open for public comment at a hearing on Monday at 1:30 in the Senate Natural Resources Committee, Hearing Room #2. Please be there and lend your support to this bill. If you can't attend, at least email your legislator and the governor in support. Here is a link to find your legislator and tell them to support SB 5661 and House Bill 1717.
Washington State Legislature

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/documents/billdo ... s/5661.pdf

Trying to get this one on voter voice like the last.

here is link to a blog with great info

http://blog.theoutdoorline.com/post/201 ... table.aspx
Last edited by Anonymous on Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gringo Pescador

RE:CALLING ALL ANGLERS Help make reporting of lost gillnets MANDATORY!

Post by Gringo Pescador » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:37 am

Thanks for the info Scott
I fish not because I regard fishing as being terribly important, but because I suspect that so many of the other concerns of men are equally unimportant, and not nearly so much fun. ~ John Volker

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:09 am

I think it's a great cause/idea and something that should probably be done. Big problem is though, how many of the gill-netters do you think will actually follow this law, and further, it's another thing that will NOT be enforced.

Is there a way for us, as constituants, to start a bill that would propose something like:

A drastic increase in enforcement officer numbers
A huge increase in the dollar amount of fines for poaching and other key offenses (things that actually hurt fishing, not things like forgetting a life jacket on your boat) so that the officers generate revenue, instead of costing more money.
Changing it so the money goes to either the WDFW, or to the General Fund
Lee

jerrysgonefishing
Petty Officer

Post by jerrysgonefishing » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 am

Easy to enforce. If the gill netter wants a new net, bring in the old one to recycle or show documentation that it has been declared/reported lost and where. One or the other or you don't get a new net.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:42 am

jerrysgonefishing wrote:Easy to enforce. If the gill netter wants a new net, bring in the old one to recycle or show documentation that it has been declared/reported lost and where. One or the other or you don't get a new net.
The bill does not contain that language, further, nets are not purchased through the state.
Lee

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:05 pm

It also does not cover the tribal nets...........in the sound they account for more then 50% of the boats fishing nets................it will be a great "feel good" law...............but it will not have much of an impact. IMO.

bionic_one
Captain

Post by bionic_one » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:19 pm

It looks like a public relations stunt, and a waste of time/resources in it's current form. Add some method of enforcement, that pays for itself, and you could have a workable bill.
Lee

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Agreed...........enforcement and covering ALL net fishermen.

scott080379
Commodore

Post by scott080379 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:02 pm

fishnazzi wrote:It also does not cover the tribal nets...........in the sound they account for more then 50% of the boats fishing nets................it will be a great "feel good" law...............but it will not have much of an impact. IMO.

one step at a time Troy, you know as well as I do that the tribal thing goes way above the state level that is bill covers.

Arlo Johannes
Petty Officer

Post by Arlo Johannes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

There needs to be a requirement that all nets and pots have an ownership tag on them. Then if they are found and haven't been reported lost, there could be hefty fines. Without that they will not report the loss as that would document the extent of the problem. Now I think you know why there hasn't been any lost nets reported.

dicinu
Commander

Post by dicinu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:41 pm

I agree with a net that is permently marked for ownership! That is the only way this could be enforced other than that no way to tell whos net is who's. but something that can be marked as in like licensing for a Boat which I am not sure if that is done by DFW or not as in Nevada that is how trailers quads and boats are registered throught the state. then there is a way to bring it back to the person persons' or company that was using the net then if not reported a heafty fin should be in place. but i think fair is fair crab pots should be the same if lose report which there is a report process but if found no way to tell if anyone reported that one missing as it is not marked on the pot itself!
Proud member of http://www.WAGUNS.ORG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Proud Member of http://www.washingtonlakes.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

follow my blog http://washintgonstatefishing.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

fishnazzi
Warrant Officer

Post by fishnazzi » Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:00 pm

I see this one lost steam...........this is a deal backed by CCA............MOST DEALS STARTED BY CCA..........have no merit or cause...........do your homework boys............CCA has almost eliminated sport fishing in Florida and some of the gulf states............they are a WOLF in sheeps clothing............most of you who have commented already have figured this out..............PSA is a better choice........but they to must be watched.........at times they choose to side with CCA.........it is like making a deal with Hitler.....IMO.

Return to “Announcements and Fishing/Club Notices”