Lyre River campground

All about camping, maybe some fishing thrown in for good measure...
NWrookie
Petty Officer

Lyre River campground

Post by NWrookie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:22 am

I am looking for a place to tent camp around Forks so I can fish the Bogachiel River. I found this campground, but it is first come first serve and you can't make reservations. I don't really want to drive all that way just to find out there isn't anything open. I probably will be going mid week, so this might not be an issue. Any suggestions?

kingfisherman1
Petty Officer

Re: Lyre River campground

Post by kingfisherman1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:45 pm

Its a bit of a drive from the Lyre to forks, but not too bad. Hell, there is a camping spot in the campground right next to one of the best holes on the Lyre river (the logjam) for steelhead. If I stay in forks I usually sleep in my SUV in a parking lot (I'm cheap) so I don't know of any good tent camping spots. If you PM me I'll tell you where the fish are on the Bogy right now, though. I was there yesterday.

Steelheadin360
Commodore

Post by Steelheadin360 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:37 pm

if your gonna fish the boggie i would camp closer to forks. its a pretty good drive from the lyre to the boggie

BlakeP
Commander

Post by BlakeP » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I wouldn't stay at the lyre campground, not very close to forks and we stayed there once...Never went back, lot of people partying till 3am. Lot of weird people at that campground. I always just get a cheap hotel when we are in forks. I think there is camping sites at 3 rivers though, which is near forks. Not too exspensive either. You could give them a call and see if theres any open sites left.

NWrookie
Petty Officer

Post by NWrookie » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Thanks for the info. I am going the week of the 10th, so I have a little time to do some research. I would sleep in my truck also, but my wife is not very keen on that (she is afraid of vampires and werewolves).

needs2hunt
Warrant Officer

Post by needs2hunt » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:49 pm

the boggie state campground was almost empty today when i went by... also Kalalock campground was empty too (2 campers)... those above are pay campsites...

from what i could find in the way of free campsites...
Willoughby creek
cottonwood campground
Yahoo lake campground
upper clearwater campground
copper bottom mine campground
Southfork hoh campground
Hoh Oxbow
tumbling rapids park...

most of these are operated by DNR ...

Return to “Camping Life - the BEST places to go (and avoid!)”