Curleew Lake

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Curleew Lake

Post by trout-chaser » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:13 am

Has anyone any info on Curlew ice fishing this winter? We have fished it in the past but havent been over there in a couple years. Is there enough ice yet?

trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Re: Curleew Lake

Post by trout-chaser » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:10 pm

ok ... so I answered my own question and went for a lil tour............ theres 8-10 inches on Curlew as well as on Pierre Lake.

trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Post by trout-chaser » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:34 pm

Just back from fishing Curlew. Great sunny day to be on the ice. Un fortunately, the highlight of my day was a USAF F18 doin a north bound fly by at 100' off the deck (probably our of Spokane).................. I could see the pilot looking at me as he went over head. I did manage to catch a couple small trout...... nothing to brag about. t\The sun was high and bright, the lil buddy heater cooked my my dogs in no time and the new clam Nanook got broken in in style. ttfn

muskyhunter
Captain

Post by muskyhunter » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Just wondering if any of you guys ice fishing up there have tried for muskies with tip-ups and dead bait? Thanks, todd

Rosann G
Commander

Post by Rosann G » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:55 pm

Wow, lucky you! I love to see our fighters do low flybys like that and don't get to see them often enough.

trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Post by trout-chaser » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 am

I havent tried for muskies through the ice........ yet. I have fished pike in the prairies that way with good success. I was thinkin of using a smelt through the ice, but Im unsure of Musky wintering grounds to target (they have to be 50" or greater to keep in Curlew....... I do C&R). I have a good hydrographic map of the lake and there is lots of ice to explore.

trout-chaser
Petty Officer

Post by trout-chaser » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:17 am

Fished Curlew yesterday at the state park........ fished from 10 ft to 30 ft with bait, I never even got a blimp on the finder for four hours. Weather was overcast, +4 C and 10-12 inches of ice. The 30 ft hole even had a big log right beside my lure (I was thinkin structure. YAAAA. 11 ft had weeds (yes I have a camera). I wont give up, but finding those trout is a chore this winter!