Fourth of July Ice

Brrr, it's cold outside - hey, let's go fishing!
Forum rules
Forum Post Guidelines: This Forum is rated “Family Friendly”. Civil discussions are encouraged and welcomed. Name calling, negative, harassing, or threatening comments will be removed and may result in suspension or IP Ban without notice. Please refer to the Terms of Service and Forum Guidelines post for more information. Thank you
Kfisherman
Petty Officer

Fourth of July Ice

Post by Kfisherman » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:38 pm

Well I was passing through the area and decided to make a stop at Fourth of July Lake. Figured I would fish for a few hours then continue to Spokane. I pulled in around 1pm along with another pair of fisherman. We were the only two vehicles there. I asked them if they had been out this year. One fisherman stated he'd been out Thursday and ice was 4 1/2 inches thick. The ice was now covered with a layer of slush.

We didn't make it very far, or past the first bend before one of the fisherman fell though the ice. We were only in about three feet of water. I then started walking towards the other shore when I fell through the ice. Again in about three feet of water. Of course the water is shallow but the mud is at least a foot and a half deep and sucks your boot in.

So after that none of us were willing to go test the ice in deeper water. The whole Risk vs Reward thing. I called it a day and went back to the truck. The other two fisherman decided to head to the far end of the lake to open water.

I did not go past the first bend, but could see patches of open water along the shore line ahead. Obviously I feel the ice is unsafe for now and would like to caution everyone planning to ice fish there. If you really really feel the reward is worth the risk you need to take the appropriate measures to ensure your safety if ice fishing at Fourth of July Lake.

Have fun and be safe.

Jay K
Warrant Officer

RE:Fourth of July Ice

Post by Jay K » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:57 pm

Thanks for the report; To think I was gonna head to Fourth of July today. I wonder how thick the ice was. Glad you made it out OK.